Announcement: Changes to non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

The worlds most boring sport after lawn bowls, darts and cricket....

true story.

It's the only thing I have ever watched on TV that I fell asleep every time. Sunday afternoon nap medicine.

12 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

The worlds most boring sport after lawn bowls, darts and cricket....

Just now, MTBeer said:

true story.

It's the only thing I have ever watched on TV that I fell asleep every time. Sunday afternoon nap medicine.

Don't worry, you can start watching again. The blue eyed boy is starting to fade away and soon we won't even see or hear from him again and F1 will be as fun as the last 2 laps of BAKU after he made a rookie error with brake magic bias and the 2 rookies in the HAAS' beat him.

1 minute ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Don't worry, you can start watching again. The blue eyed boy is starting to fade away and soon we won't even see or hear from him again and F1 will be as fun as the last 2 laps of BAKU after he made a rookie error with brake magic bias and the 2 rookies in the HAAS' beat him.

Not so much fun for him when cars are more equally matched. 

2 hours ago, Showtime said:

The answer is in the post you quoted. Those topics are fine. 

Not really, I used the word etc as there are to many topics to list. Many of these are under current affairs. 

Anyway... let’s see how it goes

16 hours ago, Matt said:

Hi Hubbers,

It’s been many months since the discussion around the direction of Off Topic conversations first kicked off and we’ve had time to deeply consider the best approach.

A number of the non-cycling discussions relate to important topics. These are often complex issues which fall far outside the realm of bicycles. Quite simply, Bike Hub is not a suitable platform to be debating such issues when so many other better suited alternatives already exist on the internet.

I for one will miss this. Sure there have been some protracted barnies over the years, and it seems moderating by shutting down threads is not really the answer.

So where will you who enjoyed these discussions be spending your time - poll here  

would be interesting to see the number of posts per day before and after this Non-Cycling thread decision.

2 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

would be interesting to see the number of posts per day before and after this Non-Cycling thread decision.

It will somehow go up 

14 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

"f we look at it purely from a numbers perspective: Chit chat accounts for 0.6% of our monthly users and 0.9% of our monthly page views, with 3.5% of total forum users participating in or viewing Chit Chat. Simply put, it's not there to generate page views or revenue. It exists with the sole purpose to enhance the community dynamic on Bike Hub. But if it's not serving that purpose or worse having a negative effect on the community, should it still exist?"

I thought it would bug me... But it's not actually. I'm spending less time on here anyway. Some of those offtopics threads have become tiresome I'll just stick around for my staple threads:

Running, DH, XC,

and then the offtopics:

TV, song, movies

That said..I think you'll battle to prevent future current affairs discussions... And it's a bit short-sighted to include it in the exclusion list because the next big current affairs thing will want to be discussed by all and everyone

7 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

"f we look at it purely from a numbers perspective: Chit chat accounts for 0.6% of our monthly users and 0.9% of our monthly page views, with 3.5% of total forum users participating in or viewing Chit Chat. Simply put, it's not there to generate page views or revenue. It exists with the sole purpose to enhance the community dynamic on Bike Hub. But if it's not serving that purpose or worse having a negative effect on the community, should it still exist?"

guess it would help if I read the whole post

8 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

I dont believe this in the least,  the two corona threads (the ones that were closed as well ) had to be the most active threads on this sote for the whole of last year.

No on topic or off topic thread climbed in page qnd post count that quick 

7 minutes ago, Stretch said:

I thought it would bug me... But it's not actually. I'm spending less time on here anyway. Some of those offtopics threads have become tiresome I'll just stick around for my staple threads:

Running, DH, XC,

and then the offtopics:

TV, song, movies

That said..I think you'll battle to prevent future current affairs discussions... And it's a bit short-sighted to include it in the exclusion list because the next big current affairs thing will want to be discussed by all and everyone

Running isn't heavy cycling(bar tri) related so in my mind it should be the one of threads being looked at 

2 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I dont believe this in the least,  the two corona threads (the ones that were closed as well ) had to be the most active threads on this sote for the whole of last year.

No on topic or off topic thread climbed in page qnd post count that quick 

I am just repeating Admin.If you dispute the numbers go back and inform him