Announcement: Changes to non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

4 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

"f we look at it purely from a numbers perspective: Chit chat accounts for 0.6% of our monthly users and 0.9% of our monthly page views, with 3.5% of total forum users participating in or viewing Chit Chat. Simply put, it's not there to generate page views or revenue. It exists with the sole purpose to enhance the community dynamic on Bike Hub. But if it's not serving that purpose or worse having a negative effect on the community, should it still exist?"

That stat justn't make sense to me

If I look at my active content page (all content) there are 8 threads with more than a 1000 posts (and more than all the other thread posts together). 6 of those 8 threads are chit chat topics. Sure some of those threads have been going for a long time but that the contribute to less than 1% of page views does not compute with me. Unless there is absolute no correlation between what people post and what people view.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

That stat justn't make sense to me

If I look at my active content page (all content) there are 8 threads with more than a 1000 posts (and more than all the other thread posts together). 6 of those 8 threads are chit chat topics. Sure some of those threads have been going for a long time but that the contribute to less than 1% of page views does not compute with me. Unless there is absolute no correlation between what people post and what people view.

those stats are not for the forum only but for the classifieds too (thats my guess), its the only way it makes sense. Classified clicks far outweigh forum clicks. But, IMHO, site value should not be measured in clicks alone.

18 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Running isn't heavy cycling(bar tri) related so in my mind it should be the one of threads being looked at 

but it is not politics, religion or current affairs...so its good

even though running is my religion...:lol:

I wonder how much moderating really needed to be done on off-topic.  I guess there was the occasional flare-up, but hardly every day or every week. And usually nothing too serious.  But I suppose for the admin to have taken this step they must have been receiving constant complaints from forum members who felt offended.  From my side I have never once complained to a mod or reported someone.  I think it's an overreaction to cancel these threads.

2 minutes ago, buchanan said:

I wonder how much moderating really needed to be done on off-topic.  I guess there was the occasional flare-up, but hardly every day or every week. And usually nothing too serious.  But I suppose for the admin to have taken this step they must have been receiving constant complaints from forum members who felt offended.  From my side I have never once complained to a mod or reported someone.  I think it's an overreaction to cancel these threads.

my take on this is not that they got constant reports from forum members but negative reports/feedback from site sponsors that dont want that sort of thing associated with their brand.

Lets not beat around the bush here, the whole thing boils down to money.

7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

my take on this is not that they got constant reports from forum members but negative reports/feedback from site sponsors that dont want that sort of thing associated with their brand.

Suppose you're right. When you find more cycling related news/content on News24 (albeit how low on quality) than here, and only sponsored car articles (and some larger bike brands/cycling events) here, it really has just become a sponsored classified site.  

Anyway, I'm not complaining - less distractions means less time wasted here which will inevitably lead to me ending up going down a new rabbit hole finding a new hobby while I'm at it... perhaps kayaking.

16 hours ago, Stretch said:

so basically discussions around haberdashery only

Haberdashery is a favourite word of mine. Years ago I was asked to produce a sign which had to be  in both English and Afrikaans for a material/sewing shop.  I asked for the Afrikaans word for haberdashery . . . . Much discussion ensued but the sign was only in English eventually.

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

So hang on.

Are people really going to spend less time on a bike website if they can't discuss Religion, Politics and Corona?

I mean, on a serious note, if you are here to discuss those 3 topics and not much else, will BikeHub actually miss you when you are gone? 

Asking for a friend....

I’ll be that friend 

2 minutes ago, buchanan said:

Are we still allowed to discuss Eskom?

With them now heading to L4 loadshedding its probably best not to....

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

Meh, got one warning from mooderation already today, I can take another...

Sounds like you're just trying to make the break-up easier.

1 minute ago, Chris_ said:

Sounds like you're just trying to make the break-up easier.

Yeah. About 90.5% of everything I post is tongue firmly in cheek, but thehub has a sense of humour failure occasionally.

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

who even notices the sponsor banners? all i see is flashy things which i ignore like i do with the cops.

if those stats quoted are indeed correct, then LeHub has become not much more than scumtree? i like the NCR threads, its ok to disagree, just wish someone would tell Cancel Culture that. (even though I piss off (offend) some people, and they piss me off (offend), I am still willing to have a beer with them without resorting to violence)

19 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

who even notices the sponsor banners? all i see is flashy things which i ignore like i do with the cops.

I do. Because some of them are cringeworthy.

I took a screen shot of one from our sister dealership the other day, it was riddled with errors and conflicting info

if those stats quoted are indeed correct, then LeHub has become not much more than scumtree? i like the NCR threads, its ok to disagree, just wish someone would tell Cancel Culture that. (even though I piss off (offend) some people, and they piss me off (offend), I am still willing to have a beer with them without resorting to violence)

I have great friendships with people from another forum where at one stage or another we would be at each others throats online. But like many on this forum, we would meet IRL too and over the years became more than just usernames on the screen.

10 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I have great friendships with people from another forum where at one stage or another we would be at each others throats online. But like many on this forum, we would meet IRL too and over the years became more than just usernames on the screen.

you might be the only one on LeHub to notice it then, so that makes you one in a million? ????