Announcement: Changes to non-cycling discussion on Bike Hub

Matt

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, Rocket-Boy said:

Yeah man, I fully agree, the first two topics can and probably should go. They are too polarizing by nature.

Honestly I would be super sad about the woodwork thread if that went, I have made some good friends through those discussions.

Religion, yes. I agree there.

but, Politics was no more polarising than the days of 26er v 29er. Nobody wanted to lose the trump or global politics thread. And though pretty feisty at times, I think all protagonists on both sides in those  threads learnt a lot  from the other. And I don’t believe those threads gave birth to any sworn enemies. So, imho the discussion served the community well; shutting them is unfortunate.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:06 AM, RocknRolla said:

Not visiting news24 because their cookie policy, it’s either accept all or don’t read… so I’m not reading.

Thanks for the clarity Matt, should have been a bit cleared from the onset, there would have been less butt-hurt, or maybe not.

Can't stand news 24. Their habit of putting cheesy suspenseful stock music over cctv footage of crime incidents, their unctuous hand wringing moralising over gender issues, their lazy aggregation of their own articles producing algorithm driven headlines like today's "best of the weekend: de Ruyter gets death threats".... 

56 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Can't stand news 24. Their habit of putting cheesy suspenseful stock music over cctv footage of crime incidents, their unctuous hand wringing moralising over gender issues, their lazy aggregation of their own articles producing algorithm driven headlines like today's "best of the weekend: de Ruyter gets death threats".... 

I thought it was bad when they started posting about the **** on twitter, then they dug for new lows by writing lazy relationship/family articles about stories/posts they find on Reddit. WTAF. The cycling news is also cringeworthy of note. It's all just low quality info for the masses.

Edited by stefmeister

21 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

The cycling news is also cringeworthy of note. 

I often see the headline for ride24 pop up in my feed and its usually a topic that we discussed on BH a week or 2 prior, its almost like someone read BH and then decides to do a ride24 article on what they've read.

10 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

Wouldn’t one consider this thread to be a current hub affair?

All threads are hub affairs!

Further to my previous comment, I think before any threads are removed we should at least see a list of whats going to be nuked so we can raise objections. I understand some like the politics thread etc is not negotiable, but there are some that are definitely up for consideration to remain

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."

Mark Twain

16 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Further to my previous comment, I think before any threads are removed we should at least see a list of whats going to be nuked so we can raise objections. I understand some like the politics thread etc is not negotiable, but there are some that are definitely up for consideration to remain

are you also concerned about losing your post count?!

15 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."

Mark Twain

are you also concerned about losing your post count?!

ha ha - hadnt even though about that...although I have already lost a few thousand!

more worried about some really useful threads that have had no real conflict

12 hours ago, Harryn said:

Religion, yes. I agree there.

but, Politics was no more polarising than the days of 26er v 29er. Nobody wanted to lose the trump or global politics thread. And though pretty feisty at times, I think all protagonists on both sides in those  threads learnt a lot  from the other. And I don’t believe those threads gave birth to any sworn enemies. So, imho the discussion served the community well; shutting them is unfortunate.

Yes, but the key here is that a well balanced individual with his head not firmly inserted into his own behind can read these, understand it and move on or debate accordingly. There are not many such individuals in the world.  What We are once again catering for is a minority element, affecting the greater majority negatively.

I have over the years of visiting forums, and being exposed to opposing views learnt to take into account what the other party has to say, and decide to comment or not (and go away thinking "what a chop" LOL). I have learnt a lot as you say, and it is sad in the greater scheme of things to lose a platform where fairly civil discussions can be had. This is ultimately what forums were created for. 

The issue comes into play where the forum is owned by an individual, who ultimately decides the rules. It's not a democracy, unless it was established as such. 

It is clear however that the long-standing (or participating) members does not like the "remove the offending limb" and would rather have explored other remedies...maybe a vaccination?

On 6/8/2021 at 7:40 PM, Kranswurm said:

That's hard work

Why don't you volunteer as a moderator?

lol - he is

I haven't read all the comments.  But I guess the Good, Bad Ugly threads, Time to get out of here etc all are all now gone / going?

As an expat, the thoughts and or queries that arose in those threads were ones I could relate to (and in some cases assist with).

Can't say I'll be able to help with local group ride queries .

Good luck - it's been fun...