where will you go for NCR discussions now?

Shebeen

to talk about stuff on the internet  

28 members have voted

1. 1. with the NCR muted, where will you go educate and debate issues

• twitter
    • facebook
    • https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/
    • https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/
    • instagram
    • other1 - carbonite.co.za
    • other2 - pinkbike
    • other3 - NOWHERE - won't miss NCR
    • other4 - reddit
    • other5

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Gen said:

after 4x4 forum was suggested I spent a few days reading the topics and the interaction.. A LOT MORE COVID info on there with good interactions (for the most part)..

RR and Vetplant are there, (that I recognised from this here hub.. ) there is actually a lot of topics discussed and seems like there is a community feel to it.. with just a lot more cousins at the party.

I just can't invest time and energy into establishing new relationships with people i have no background or history with... Especially being outside the country and not a 4x4er

14 minutes ago, Stretch said:

I just can't invest time and energy into establishing new relationships with people i have no background or history with... Especially being outside the country and not a 4x4er

understandable.. I don't think I'll post much but I do find the COVID information shared informative... 

1 hour ago, Stretch said:

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to add a snorkel to a gti....yet.

Its generally pretty straight forward to choose.

- MyBroadband: 

Pro's: TONS of users, lots of opinions and most likely someone that will have personal experience with x. Discussions are not overly moderated unless they get super messy.

Con's: The usual "forum mafia" exists and it can be pretty clicky. Its just not a nice and friendly place like Bikehub. Its really just a place for fighting most of the time.

- Carbonite:

Pro's: can pick up 2nd hand CUD satisfaction 

Con's: its a classifieds forums for pc stuff, its hardly the place I want to have discussions.

There are a few others, but they all suffer from lower user numbers etc. This isnt an issue if you dont mind a response every second day or so, its hardly useful for enthralling conversation though.

11 hours ago, Stretch said:

Honest comment..... What about setting up a private discord group (with invitation). Its probably the best to accommodate topics and sub topics. Would involve having to download the app and register as a user... But at least we could discuss things freely

I'm in 

12 hours ago, Stretch said:

Honest comment..... What about setting up a private discord group (with invitation). Its probably the best to accommodate topics and sub topics. Would involve having to download the app and register as a user... But at least we could discuss things freely

So what are you waiting for lol

PS I have no idea how that platform works.. but I'm in too

15 hours ago, shaper said:

I foresee a big drop off in community interaction once the TdF is over!

it's team presentation day today and the TDF thread is not as busy as it normally is..I don't even recall seeing a discussion about the teams TDF kit.. which is really unusual.

I deleted Tapatalk when it was clear Bikehub wasn’t going to go back. Not going to reload it just to see the odd post here and there on the 4x4Forum, Weight Weenies, and a few others I’ve forgotten about.

Whatever is here is more than enough for me. My post point didn’t drop by much after the heated threads were dropped. 

If I miss a few discussions because you don’t feel this forum isn’t worth it, so be it. People come and go, life happens. 

1 hour ago, Gen said:

So what are you waiting for lol

PS I have no idea how that platform works.. but I'm in too

Ok....I guess it depends entirely on critical mass how successful or is or not. If we get key contributors involved then it will work . If not.. It will dribble away.. Let's wait and see

https://discord.gg/mmaxqvMvPj

On 6/23/2021 at 8:34 AM, Harryn said:

Dear @Matt and @Nick

As a compromise on the NCR thread shedding, I would like to request and suggest that you bring back just the coronavirus thread. It was a place where we could connect with one another in deeply troubled times, and share experiences and  knowledge of the pandemic. As such, It was also a source of great comfort, and it served the community well, at a time where we and our families are under existential threat. 

People like @River Rat and @DJR (to name but 2) shared expert and invaluable knowledge. Yes, there was a bit of bitchery too, but nothing too serious. 

please would you consider reinstating the thread. ????

Thank you for receiving and reading this in the good spirit in which it is posted. 

all those who agree, please would you hit the like button.

Edit: i should also mention @Dale , who generously gave of his professional skills and compassion to give us hope, strength and comfort. 

Dear @Harryn,

Drawing the lines on this issue has been tricky. When the questions around the future of non-cycling discussion first arose last year the obvious, cleanest solution on the table was to remove non-cycling sections altogether. In a cold and purely mathematical context that might have been the obvious choice, but in recognising that there is a lot more nuance to the community dynamics it didn't feel like the right approach.

Ultimately we took a middle ground approach as had been suggested by many Hubbers. Cut out the divisive topics like religion, politics and current affairs, but retain most of it. On the surface the consequence meant that 3-4 active threads in Current Affairs are no longer, but the bulk of longer running non-cycling discussion is still there. Based on the feedback from users in response to the initial topic this felt like a very reasonable compromise.

Broadly speaking Covid-19 is and has been a divisive issue. The discussions around it have been the source of most moderation issues since the closure of the Trump threads. I do acknowledge that the fallout thread you refer to does have a distinctly different tone to it vs. other discussions on the subject. It's certainly something we didn't fully appreciate, but equally it's a tough one to draw the lines on. Why do we allow one covid thread but not another? There is a high risk that the more politically or ideologically rooted discussion that is divisive and problematic simply moves across. How would we address that without opening the floodgates for even more moderation issues?

Opening any one issue up in part really blurs the lines further. It's a tough balancing act and the slope on either side is a little slippery.

27 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Ok....I guess it depends entirely on critical mass how successful or is or not. If we get key contributors involved then it will work . If not.. It will dribble away.. Let's wait and see

Shot.. 

49 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Thank you for setting up. 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Dear @Harryn,

Drawing the lines on this issue has been tricky. When the questions around the future of non-cycling discussion first arose last year the obvious, cleanest solution on the table was to remove non-cycling sections altogether. In a cold and purely mathematical context that might have been the obvious choice, but in recognising that there is a lot more nuance to the community dynamics it didn't feel like the right approach.

Ultimately we took a middle ground approach as had been suggested by many Hubbers. Cut out the divisive topics like religion, politics and current affairs, but retain most of it. On the surface the consequence meant that 3-4 active threads in Current Affairs are no longer, but the bulk of longer running non-cycling discussion is still there. Based on the feedback from users in response to the initial topic this felt like a very reasonable compromise.

Broadly speaking Covid-19 is and has been a divisive issue. The discussions around it have been the source of most moderation issues since the closure of the Trump threads. I do acknowledge that the fallout thread you refer to does have a distinctly different tone to it vs. other discussions on the subject. It's certainly something we didn't fully appreciate, but equally it's a tough one to draw the lines on. Why do we allow one covid thread but not another? There is a high risk that the more politically or ideologically rooted discussion that is divisive and problematic simply moves across. How would we address that without opening the floodgates for even more moderation issues?

Opening any one issue up in part really blurs the lines further. It's a tough balancing act and the slope on either side is a little slippery.

I understand your position. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

11 hours ago, Gen said:

my sons swear by discord 

Maybe we go full tilt laaitie and join tiktok? ????????????????