GPS Navigation: Routes vs Trails

Ryan I

Technical question to those that create city routes and navigate with a GPS. I use a Garmin 530 and recently created a nice route on Basecamp, around northern JHB. Downloaded the route and followed it as best as I could but there were problems. Eg: road closures, garmin maps doesnt know about these so that was a bugger up. Then I didnt know it at the time but while creating the route it indicated a turn into street then immediate u-turn. I was zoomed in too much and made the turn, only to realise I had to make a u-turn again. I then remembered back to my enduro motorcycling races a few years ago where I used two GPS's for navigation in Lesotho (one zoomed in and one zoomed out). We learnt quickly to create tracks and not routes (to avoid auto rerouting etc). We just tried to stay as close as possible to the track. I know GPS's are now used in races like Sani2C so I would like to know whether people use routes or tracks? Does anyone else have these issues? Any other tips?

Thanks           

I tried and failed too many times with the Garmin route creator. It often does apparently random routing, with U-turns, unfathomable turns and generally poor routing.

Fortunately Strava has a far better (more intuitive routing with far less of the funkies that Garmin comes up with) route creator (paid membership though) and when linked directly to your Garmin Connect creates for an easy upload onto your device.

If not connected, then just download the .gpx file from Strava and load onto Garmin device.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:19 PM, Stefan Cremer said:

I tried and failed too many times with the Garmin route creator. It often does apparently random routing, with U-turns, unfathomable turns and generally poor routing.

Fortunately Strava has a far better (more intuitive routing with far less of the funkies that Garmin comes up with) route creator (paid membership though) and when linked directly to your Garmin Connect creates for an easy upload onto your device.

If not connected, then just download the .gpx file from Strava and load onto Garmin device.

Thanks, hadn't tried the Strava way so will definitely give this a go.

I use ridewithgps.com to map routes and then export the gpx or tcx (depending on what you use) from here and import on my garmin 820.  Works fairly well, you sometimes have to select a different map mode (i.e. OSM cycle) if you are unable to draw a line from one point to another due to road direction or gravel shortcut, etc. Haven't had issues with u turn navigation or the sort while using this.

I think the route planner on strava is for premium subscribers only, have had issues mapping certain sections of routes in the past.  

PS. Unless you have already come right on Strava.