Scott launch a bold new Spark RC and Spark 900

Bike Hub Features

4 hours ago, W@nted said:

Might be wrong though, but substantially more expensive than the 2021 model…

B6413854-4096-42FB-922E-28F763308CB8.jpeg

WTAF!!! 

What has happend to the pricing? How is this even possible? Where is the value?
Oh, wait we have people prepared to pay for image.
I give up.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TDFN said:

WTAF!!! 

What has happend to the pricing? How is this even possible? Where is the value?
Oh, wait we have people prepared to pay for image.
I give up.

50k for a decent bike is pretty in line with today's pricing?

Or are you looking at the tippy top of the line price option and suggesting that it's unreasonable?

Every big pharma bike brand's tippy top of the line bike costs that these days. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

50k for a decent bike is pretty in line with today's pricing?

Or are you looking at the tippy top of the line price option and suggesting that it's unreasonable?

Every big pharma bike brand's tippy top of the line bike costs that these days. 

What is strange to me is that the 2021 spark Rc 900 world cup with axs RRP is currently R165k. Why is the new model R250k? That is an R85k increase. Crazy.

1 hour ago, W@nted said:

What is strange to me is that the 2021 spark Rc 900 world cup with axs RRP is currently R165k. Why is the new model R250k? That is an R85k increase. Crazy.

I'd say a combination of Covid, demand, the acquisition and complete integration of Bold design and the hidden shock all adding some %...

Try buying a wetsuit anywhere in the world at the moment.

What cost 3k last year costs 4500zar this year, if you can get one. Thats a 50% increase. It goes back to production costs, scarcity of base material and the premium all parts of the production line have to pay for transport.

It all adds up.

Demand is also big. BUT looking at the tippy top of the range models and speaking about price points is silly. If you want to buy a top of the range bike, you won't complain about the price. The fact that they will have various models between 45k and 250k indicates that they will likely have a range of bikes at various price points to suit everyone's budget.

If you are still surprised/bitter/aggrieved at the top of the range prices of big pharma bikes in 2021/22 you need to take your head out the sand and have a look at the industry, the whole world and adjust your expectations.

36 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd say a combination of Covid, demand, the acquisition and complete integration of Bold design and the hidden shock all adding some %...

Try buying a wetsuit anywhere in the world at the moment.

What cost 3k last year costs 4500zar this year, if you can get one. Thats a 50% increase. It goes back to production costs, scarcity of base material and the premium all parts of the production line have to pay for transport.

It all adds up.

Demand is also big. BUT looking at the tippy top of the range models and speaking about price points is silly. If you want to buy a top of the range bike, you won't complain about the price. The fact that they will have various models between 45k and 250k indicates that they will likely have a range of bikes at various price points to suit everyone's budget.

If you are still surprised/bitter/aggrieved at the top of the range prices of big pharma bikes in 2021/22 you need to take your head out the sand and have a look at the industry, the whole world and adjust your expectations.

I wish my salary went up with these margins as well.

Crazy times we are living in. 

Cycling really has become an expensive sport. But like you said, the prices of everything has sky rocketed the last year. Hobbies, food, petrol. Everything.

39 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Cycling really has become an expensive sport. But like you said, the prices of everything has sky rocketed the last year. Hobbies, food, petrol. Everything.

The thing is, the 50k bike is probably way better than a 35k bike from 5 years ago.

People just see 'Deore' and say 'peasants', but that Deore tech is basically adjusted XT from 5 years ago or new tech but slightly heavier than SLX and XT.

Trickle down tech is real.

43 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Cycling really has become an expensive sport.

Never start racing motorbikes.

Nothing forces you to buy a R150k bike, even if you want to race seriously. You can buy a year-old top end 2nd hand bike for less than half that. Only a very tiny proportion of the "hardcore" racers actually own those super expensive bikes, especially MTBs.

Once you've purchased your bike, cycling is cheap (at least on the road, on a full sus MTB it's another story, but compared to other sports if you divide your expenses by the amount of hours spent on the bicycle, it's fairly cheap)

trickle down is real but the top end is severely overpriced. Lots of excuse through the supply chains for higher prices but those companies are posting record profits so they're making record margins. Its purely supply and demand playing out. There's enough demand to charge what they like and ego pays.

5years ago I'd never consider a GX level bike but now with GX AXS delivering XX1 performance at half the price why pay for XX1? I won't excpet for the cassette and chain because there is real value in those components.

R250K for a 2022 Spark.. no thanks. It is a very expensive build spec and not something I will enjoy thrashing down an XCO course because breaking a wheel or dinging the handlebar in a crash is going to cost. Top level bikes are for CEO's. In the mid range we still have decent value.

We went through the same situation between 1991 and 2000. The cycle is repeating itself

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The thing is, the 50k bike is probably way better than a 35k bike from 5 years ago.

People just see 'Deore' and say 'peasants', but that Deore tech is basically adjusted XT from 5 years ago or new tech but slightly heavier than SLX and XT.

Trickle down tech is real.

I would disagree on that. I bought my giant anthem 2 years ago. R50k bought you a sub 11kg dual sus with carbon rims, gx eagle group and fox elite fork. Same model now still retails around R50k, but with nx group, alu rims and cheaper fox fork.

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Never start racing motorbikes.

Nothing forces you to buy a R150k bike, even if you want to race seriously. You can buy a year-old top end 2nd hand bike for less than half that. Only a very tiny proportion of the "hardcore" racers actually own those super expensive bikes, especially MTBs.

Once you've purchased your bike, cycling is cheap (at least on the road, on a full sus MTB it's another story, but compared to other sports if you divide your expenses by the amount of hours spent on the bicycle, it's fairly cheap)

Agreed, that is exactly what I am doing. 2nd hand deal hunter as second profession????

24 minutes ago, W@nted said:

I would disagree on that. I bought my giant anthem 2 years ago. R50k bought you a sub 11kg dual sus with carbon rims, gx eagle group and fox elite fork. Same model now still retails around R50k, but with nx group, alu rims and cheaper fox fork.

2 years and 5 years are a big defference. ALSO, apples with apples if we are looking at the price curce, the same price won't buy you the same bike. 

That is 100% not what I said.

Anyway, if you have a full carbon Anthem, why does the price of an unobtanium Spark matter? Would you have spent 170k on the previous model? Or 150k on the one before?

I'm with Diesel, the bike doesn't appeal to me at all. I think it looks silly and the seat tube/post looks like an afterthought. It would not be in my top 10 bikes I would like to buy if money was of no concern.

BUT, some people love it. Just like some people love leopard print and I love pink. We all have our tastes. If we didn't differ the world would be pretty vanilla

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

2 years and 5 years are a big defference. ALSO, apples with apples if we are looking at the price curce, the same price won't buy you the same bike. 

That is 100% not what I said.

Anyway, if you have a full carbon Anthem, why does the price of an unobtanium Spark matter? Would you have spent 170k on the previous model? Or 150k on the one before?

I'm with Diesel, the bike doesn't appeal to me at all. I think it looks silly and the seat tube/post looks like an afterthought. It would not be in my top 10 bikes I would like to buy if money was of no concern.

BUT, some people love it. Just like some people love leopard print and I love pink. We all have our tastes. If we didn't differ the world would be pretty vanilla

Thanks, I hear you. I understand the trickle down technology. 

Nope I have the aluminium anthem. Like diesel mentioned, great options in the middle class price range, especially 2nd hand. And one can still be competitive with them. No way that I can/will spend R100k+ on a mountain bike.

Also agree that if money was not an option, the 2022 spark would not be top of my list. Looks too much like an e-bike to me...

Anyway, there definitely is a market for these bikes. May the owners enjoy them!

2 hours ago, W@nted said:

It’s as expensive as you want it to be. We don’t need wireless shifting, we don’t need carbon frames and wheels, we don’t need xtr/xx1, we don’t need the latest frames.

We can definitely manage the costs through careful selection of components and builds.

These top end bikes, although available to the public, are made with one intention-to win races. I’m not winning anything, I’m not even partaking in any events.

33 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

It’s as expensive as you want it to be. We don’t need wireless shifting, we don’t need carbon frames and wheels, we don’t need xtr/xx1, we don’t need the latest frames.

We can definitely manage the costs through careful selection of components and builds.

These top end bikes, although available to the public, are made with one intention-to win races. I’m not winning anything, I’m not even partaking in any events.

And some guys change bikes every season even if they don't win anything or even race anything. 
The sport is a very expensive one if you want to keep up with with old Mr Jones next door.

I spend a fair whack on a good bike every 8 to 10 years or so. Things last and newer technology isn't making enough difference to my riding to want to keep upgrading.

When I do replace a bike I see a significant enough difference to justify the spend (last bike was a steep HA 26er with 160mm travel vs new slacker 120mm 29er).