Scott launch a bold new Spark RC and Spark 900

Bike Hub Features

2 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Not sure what industry you're in, but try to source, manufacture and get a product to market, especially now, especially in SA. The bike industry isn't the only one facing this problem. For an emerging economy like SA this will always be a challenge, we have a volatile currency so no matter what it's difficult enough to manage supply chain along with exchange rate on trading currencies like the dollar. On top of that we're a relatively small market on balance compared to a lot of other markets.

All things considered the bike industry SA actually does ok with supply and pricing, often despite itself ;) .  There is value and we are a resilient market with growth potential and we manage to punch above our weight somehow. We also have better choice options than a lot of other markets. 

DD, I am a desk jockey, fondling a "som pomp" for a living and dreaming about riding endless trails one day when my ship sails in.

My experience is export farming, export raisins, solar park development, few product agencies and even a bike shop.

Probably just a moan gat this morning.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone in any industry that is trying to compare YoY prices on anything in 2021 is wasting their time. 
Everything from raw materials to manufacture, production, shipping, distribution and demand are on opposite ends of the scale. 

39 minutes ago, WrightJnr said:

Anyone in any industry that is trying to compare YoY prices on anything in 2021 is wasting their time. 
Everything from raw materials to manufacture, production, shipping, distribution and demand are on opposite ends of the scale. 

comparing YoY for anything right now is silly. I keep seeing YoY comparisons to sales in the car industry and I shake my head.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

comparing YoY for anything right now is silly. I keep seeing YoY comparisons to sales in the car industry and I shake my head.

Problem is the only thing most of us can measure YoY is our salaries!!! And that’s a sad one. 

55 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

O my OMG!! Sitting here drooling all over my keyboard ????

Pricing looks "fair", and not that different to previous year 2021 models. I am guessing there will be a lot of eager buyers putting their names down... 

Tnx for this, interesting reading...bit worried, paying almost 50k for a bike which weighs almost 15kg. They all do look frikken sick though, awesome.

16 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

Tnx for this, interesting reading...bit worried, paying almost 50k for a bike which weighs almost 15kg. They all do look frikken sick though, awesome.

Agreed!!

R50k is still bucket loads of cash to pay for a 15kg bike, but compared to similar offering from the likes of Specialized or some of the other brands, I still think their pricing looks surprisingly competitive  

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

15Kg for a XCO/Downcountry/whatchumacallit bike... :bigeyes:????

Add some pinches of salt to that. 

According to their website my bike (Genius 950) weighs 14.5. Maybe for a small, without pedals and no sealant 

But my XL with a liberal amount of sealant weighs 15.7kg. 

Edited by PhilipV

6 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Add some pinches of salt to that. 

According to their website my bike (Genius 950) weighs 14.5. Maybe for a small, without pedals and no sealant 

But my XL with a liberal amount of sealant weighs 15.7kg. 

but the Genius is a 150mm travel bike....

I think Nino's Swiss neutrality has come to an end because he's riding a tank into battle

D, do you think it's that bad for Nino...should the new bike be lighter, still think new technology must be lighter than old technology.

I don't know whats going on with Nino. This new bike does appear heavier across the range. I would have expected it to be lighter than its predecessor since the shock  is now internal and therefore a lot of the reinforcement around mounting lugs is no longer needed. It appears that they need to add weight to the frame to get it stiffer and stronger. The top of the line frame is in the ball park so Nino doesn't have this excuse