Scott launch a bold new Spark RC and Spark 900

Bike Hub Features

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I don't know whats going on with Nino. This new bike does appear heavier across the range. I would have expected it to be lighter than its predecessor since the shock  is now internal and therefore a lot of the reinforcement around mounting lugs is no longer needed. It appears that they need to add weight to the frame to get it stiffer and stronger. The top of the line frame is in the ball park so Nino doesn't have this excuse

Those few grams are not the reason for his poor performance as of late .... a few hearbeats behind the leader on a climb maybe, but not to the place he is currently finishing.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/18/2021 at 12:51 PM, DJuice said:

DD, I am a desk jockey, fondling a "som pomp" for a living and dreaming about riding endless trails one day when my ship sails in.

My experience is export farming, export raisins, solar park development, few product agencies and even a bike shop.

Probably just a moan gat this morning.

Make your own ship ... you need a peanut farm to run in conjunction with the raisin farm .... mix them and you have peanuts and raisins and the world will be your oyster!

Nino had a remarkable career accented by his gold medal in Rio and dominance in the sport for many seasons. The sun is setting on a very special athlete. Here and there will be flickers of the legend performing well and there’s no doubt that the next Great is rising, appearing to be the diminutive Pidcock. 

(Notice how diminutive the Lecomte is.)

On 6/20/2021 at 6:27 PM, Mark James said:

O my OMG!! Sitting here drooling all over my keyboard ????

Pricing looks "fair", and not that different to previous year 2021 models. I am guessing there will be a lot of eager buyers putting their names down... 

Prices are where they are because people think prices are fair!

43 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Make your own ship ... you need a peanut farm to run in conjunction with the raisin farm .... mix them and you have peanuts and raisins and the world will be your oyster!

Not so easy, peanuts this year was not successful.Pecan nut prices down R38 per kg from last season. Ship…PV plant development with cashflows for 20 years.

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

Not so easy, peanuts this year was not successful.Pecan nut prices down R38 per kg from last season. Ship…PV plant development with cashflows for 20 years.

But they grow peanuts and raisins in those blue packets at the local store!

On 6/18/2021 at 4:18 AM, WrightJnr said:

That price list and models confirms for me that the hard tail is dead ????

Nothing better than the 940 in it’s way. Sad. 

I'm an HT man. And the pricing on this really agrees with what you say 

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I don't know whats going on with Nino. This new bike does appear heavier across the range. I would have expected it to be lighter than its predecessor since the shock  is now internal and therefore a lot of the reinforcement around mounting lugs is no longer needed. It appears that they need to add weight to the frame to get it stiffer and stronger. The top of the line frame is in the ball park so Nino doesn't have this excuse

Dunno, just looking at that frame, I looks heavier, but that is not Nino's excuse. 

It's an unnecessarily complicated design with the only positive of the design being able to mount a 2nd water bottle inside the main triangle. Hiding the shock is just for cosmetics, unless shocks started failing overnight all of the sudden due to exposure. I can also just imagine that that cavity will just collect fine dust over time, then how do you just quickly wipe down your shock after a ride. All of that at the expense of a long seat tube with probably minimal insertion depth for a long dropper post. Probably not such a big deal for the dirt roadies, but definitely a deal-breaker for the trail version.

The Epic and other lookalikes is where my money would go if I were in the market.

7 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Dunno, just looking at that frame, I looks heavier, but that is not Nino's excuse. 

It's an unnecessarily complicated design with the only positive of the design being able to mount a 2nd water bottle inside the main triangle. Hiding the shock is just for cosmetics, unless shocks started failing overnight all of the sudden due to exposure. I can also just imagine that that cavity will just collect fine dust over time, then how do you just quickly wipe down your shock after a ride. All of that at the expense of a long seat tube with probably minimal insertion depth for a long dropper post. Probably not such a big deal for the dirt roadies, but definitely a deal-breaker for the trail version.

The Epic and other lookalikes is where my money would go if I were in the market.

With the new design they are able to tune the stiffness better and create an overall better frame. Let's not get hung up with the concept of the shock being a concealed unit, that is really just a novelty.

57 minutes ago, Hairy said:

With the new design they are able to tune the stiffness better and create an overall better frame. Let's not get hung up with the concept of the shock being a concealed unit, that is really just a novelty.

You know that every manufacturer spins that exact same story, 30% stiffer here, 20% more flex there. Don't get hung up on the marketing jargon. 

6 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

You know that every manufacturer spins that exact same story, 30% stiffer here, 20% more flex there. Don't get hung up on the marketing jargon. 

Bigger tubes = potential for stronger and stiffer. The same way Cannondale took the frame world by storm when they started their large dia. thin walled tube sets back in the day.

14 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Bigger tubes = potential for stronger and stiffer. The same way Cannondale took the frame world by storm when they started their large dia. thin walled tube sets back in the day.

Ya but these are no longer tubes with all these cut outs. The strength lost has to be recovered with extra material.

The desire to have the shock as low as possible is also a marketing red herring because the 230gr weight low down makes no difference when you have 90kg of rider on top of it. Even if we fit the delightful Kate Courtney on top of the bike with her 50kg , the shock weight is still insignificant.

Its a distinctive design but it solves problems that don't exist so the Mobu will get will my cash because that thing just looks JUS!

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ya but these are no longer tubes with all these cut outs. The strength lost has to be recovered with extra material.

The desire to have the shock as low as possible is also a marketing red herring because the 230gr weight low down makes no difference when you have 90kg of rider on top of it. Even if we fit the delightful Kate Courtney on top of the bike with her 50kg , the shock weight is still insignificant.

Its a distinctive design but it solves problems that don't exist so the Mobu will get will my cash because that thing just looks JUS!

is that the bike you pay for and then have to wait 5 years for?

18 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Exxccuuuusseee me .... are you assuming Kate's weight!