Scott launch a bold new Spark RC and Spark 900

Bike Hub Features

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Great SCOTT! Do they cost 1.21 Giggarands?

Only higher end bikes, but actually very good value for the spec level!

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Almost a year later from the last post on this topic...what is the verdict on this bike?

My history with Scott & the prices that I remember, as bike prices were discussed a lot in this thread:

- Had the 2013 Scott Spark 940, +- R23k.

- Have the 2017 Scott Spark 940, +- R40k before trading in the 2013 version.

- Interested in this RC, +- R72k now.

From my background & with my friends in exports/ imports the global supply chain is backlogged which is increasing prices. Some guys are even struggling to arrange containers. You wouldn't think so when you drive around our harbours or even downtown Joburg.

Back to bikes, what other makes & models would you suggest in this price range?

I'm also nervous about going into the second hand market.

My friend has done about 2 000 km on his.

He LOVED the bike.

Then the dropper had issues ... went in for a warrantee repair .... and again ... then the rear shock had an issue ... bike came back with the front shock having an issue .... by the 4th or 5th trip to the dealer he was ready to get rid of the bike !!!  Then the gears needed some fine adjustment, thankfully an easy fix on the trail.

Thankfully the bike was finally sorted, and certainly did WELL on our last ride.  

Do NOT underestimate the amount of chirping he gets for a young guy riding an "ebike" .... many see the thick belly and just assume it is an ebike .....

I am a Scott fan !  I like the look of the bike.  My friend certainly likes how it rides and handles. 

Pity the dealers needs 3 or 4 stabs at fixing basic stuff ..... bike not ready when you arive for pickup .....

2 hours ago, JeffD said:

Hi.

Almost a year later from the last post on this topic...what is the verdict on this bike?

My history with Scott & the prices that I remember, as bike prices were discussed a lot in this thread:

- Had the 2013 Scott Spark 940, +- R23k.

- Have the 2017 Scott Spark 940, +- R40k before trading in the 2013 version.

- Interested in this RC, +- R72k now.

From my background & with my friends in exports/ imports the global supply chain is backlogged which is increasing prices. Some guys are even struggling to arrange containers. You wouldn't think so when you drive around our harbours or even downtown Joburg.

Back to bikes, what other makes & models would you suggest in this price range?

I'm also nervous about going into the second hand market.

Iv got the RC Team, had an Epic Evo previously. I love the bike, the ride is smooth and responsive. If it's built and set up properly from the get go then you shouldn't have any issues

As much as i'd love the RC, I don't have the bucks for that but I got myself the basic 970 2022 model and have slowly improved the spec on it over the 5 months i've owned it. 

I too have had the "e-bike" chirp as well as the "is that a hard tail?" 

I love the handling and responsiveness of the bike, the twin-loc really helps you put the power down on the climbs. I haven't had any issues with shocks or the dropper.
Really glad I got one, one day i'll get a carbon model.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still tempted by the 2022 Scott Spark Comp...

Is SRAM NX a downgrade from Shimano's XT? I'm picking up by Googling that it is.

I have XT on my 2017 Scott Spark 940 so forking out for a new Spark Comp, considering new prices lately, may not be worth it.

Any advice?

4 minutes ago, JeffD said:

Is SRAM NX a downgrade from Shimano's XT? I'm picking up by Googling that it is.

I have XT on my 2017 Scott Spark 940 so forking out for a new Spark Comp, considering new prices lately, may not be worth it.

Any advice?

Definitely a downgrade and not worth it in my opinion. You can upgrade your current drivetrain to GX AXS for +/- 10k or if you are a Shimano fan you can upgrade to XT 12 spd and save some $$$

9 minutes ago, JeffD said:

Any advice?

Definitely a downgrade to NX. 

A month or so ago I tipped over in a rock garden at almost zero forward speed and into a large boulder. This broke off the compression damping knob on my Ohlins shock which turned the bike  into an undamped pogo stick. I've never broken or damaged a shock before and made me realize there is some method in Scott's madness. 

7 hours ago, Headshot said:

A month or so ago I tipped over in a rock garden at almost zero forward speed and into a large boulder. This broke off the compression damping knob on my Ohlins shock which turned the bike  into an undamped pogo stick. I've never broken or damaged a shock before and made me realize there is some method in Scott's madness. 

Scotts BOLDness...   :)

On 7/15/2022 at 12:45 PM, ACE Cycles said:

Iv got the RC Team, had an Epic Evo previously. I love the bike, the ride is smooth and responsive. If it's built and set up properly from the get go then you shouldn't have any issues

If I may ask, why move from the Evo which is more in the class of the regular spark with 120mm travel to the shorter travel of the RC instead of going for the normal spark?

29 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

If I may ask, why move from the Evo which is more in the class of the regular spark with 120mm travel to the shorter travel of the RC instead of going for the normal spark?

Epic Evo is 120mm front and 110mm rear

Spark RC Team is 120mm front and rear

So the suspension is similar from a travel perspective, however, I found the RC setup to be more aggressive, which I prefer

1 hour ago, ACE Cycles said:

Epic Evo is 120mm front and 110mm rear

Spark RC Team is 120mm front and rear

So the suspension is similar from a travel perspective, however, I found the RC setup to be more aggressive, which I prefer

Okay, I must have gotten confused somewhere, I always thought the RC was the more XC race focused version with 100mm and the regular/non-RC Spark had the 120mm travel.

My bad

Previous gen it was like that yes! Now 120/120 and the regular spark moves to 130 if I'm not mistaken. Also different tires and a dropper on the regular spark

48 minutes ago, figjam_sa said:

Previous gen it was like that yes! Now 120/120 and the regular spark moves to 130 if I'm not mistaken. Also different tires and a dropper on the regular spark

Different shock tune also. It’s more trail oriented 

Saw a white Spark with black bits parked at a local trail last weekend. Wow it is pretty! Not the bastion type pretty, but enough to make our whole group turn our heads.