Wahoo Kickr compatible with 12 speed MTB?

Is Wahoo Kickr compatible with a 12 speed Shimano MTB?
I have a 2020 Giant XTC
 hardtail and I'm thinking of buying a direct drive trainer like the Wahoo Kickr Core.

Just not sure about compatibility, don't want to spend extra money on adaptors etc... 

The trainers are expensive as it is.

Hey!

Some users are able to drop in their 12-speed on the 11-speed cassette issued with the KICKR/CORE - there will just need to be a barrel adjustment to get it to run smoothly. This would obviously not allow access to all 12 gears - but if you are primarily doing structured ERG workouts - you technically only need 1 gear to work. If you are simulating real-road conditions in an app - there may be some challenges when changing gears - but you would have to test your bike to know for sure.

One could also source a SRAM NX 12-speed cassette - the KICKR/CORE is compatible with the Freehub splines on both SRAM and SHIMANO. This may also require some barrel adjustment.

Best is to check with a LBS that has a KICKR setup - and take your bike to test.

If further help is needed - feel free to reach out to the Wahoo support team - you can log a support ticket via their website.

Hope that helps!

35 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Thanks for the link!

Seems that it is not compatible.

9 minutes ago, WahooliganZA said:

Hey!

Some users are able to drop in their 12-speed on the 11-speed cassette issued with the KICKR/CORE - there will just need to be a barrel adjustment to get it to run smoothly. This would obviously not allow access to all 12 gears - but if you are primarily doing structured ERG workouts - you technically only need 1 gear to work. If you are simulating real-road conditions in an app - there may be some challenges when changing gears - but you would have to test your bike to know for sure.

One could also source a SRAM NX 12-speed cassette - the KICKR/CORE is compatible with the Freehub splines on both SRAM and SHIMANO. This may also require some barrel adjustment.

Best is to check with a LBS that has a KICKR setup - and take your bike to test.

If further help is needed - feel free to reach out to the Wahoo support team - you can log a support ticket via their website.

Hope that helps!

There is also the option of a Sunrace 12-speed cassette if you get a hold of one . . 

I came here to say just this.... A 12 speed sunrace cassette will fit on an HG/wahoo freebody seamlessly.

18 minutes ago, WahooliganZA said:

There is also the option of a Sunrace 12-speed cassette if you get a hold of one . . 

I use mine (Eagle X01) with an 11-speed sram cassette and it works 100%.

You can go the whole hog and buy the XD driver from Wahoo and then fit a SRAM cassette - but that’s gonna cost quite a bit. Other options - as others have mentioned are the sun race or NX cassettes. 

And just to be clear for others if you want to use SRAM road 12x you need to get a SRAM road cassette and driver. Nothing else will work. 

Cool, think i'm going to give it a try with a 11-speed cassette. I'm primarily just going to use it for ERG workouts in Zwift and TrainerRoad.

2 hours ago, _David_ said:

Cool, think i'm going to give it a try with a 11-speed cassette. I'm primarily just going to use it for ERG workouts in Zwift and TrainerRoad.

I have a Kickr2018 and run my roadbike on it. Pretty sure if I run my 12sp SLX mtb on it I'll find one ratio with which I can do Erg workouts

On that note, for erg workouts, it's probably good practise to not use the same cassette sprocket all the time. This is a note to self

Edited by lechatnoir

5 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

I have a Kickr2018 and run my roadbike on it. Pretty sure if I run my 12sp SLX mtb on it I'll find one ratio with which I can do Erg workouts

On that note, for erg workouts, it's probably good practise to not use the same cassette sprocket all the time. This is a note to self

I would also add that you should avoid the smaller rings on the cassette, since they generally wear faster than the larger ones.

15 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

I would also add that you should avoid the smaller rings on the cassette, since they generally wear faster than the larger ones.

it's always tempting to stay on the smaller cogs to stay 'on top of the gear' and keep the flywheel turning fast. but yes, less on the smaller ones