Tshwane & JHB Classic

Grant Greyling

Hi All,

Where can I find decent photos of the Tshwane Classic and JHB Classic which recently took place?

Thanks,

Grant 

On the Tshwane Classic there were no "official" photographers present.

Cycle Nation is always at the races and take very cool pics along the day.
You'll be able to find them on Facebook.

Thanks Spinnekop. It’s a bit disappointing that these races don’t have high quality photos like those of the mountain bike races which use Action Photos as the service provider to capture the memories. 

Just now, Grant Greyling said:

Thanks Spinnekop. It’s a bit disappointing that these races don’t have high quality photos like those of the mountain bike races which use Action Photos as the service provider to capture the memories. 

I'd much rather not have Action Photo taking pics of any races ever, and then pestering me for the next 5 years to buy the over priced pics.

Also these are rather small races, I doubt it will be profitable for any sport photography group to cover the event.

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I'd much rather not have Action Photo taking pics of any races ever, and then pestering me for the next 5 years to buy the over priced pics.

Also these are rather small races, I doubt it will be profitable for any sport photography group to cover the event.

I must admit, getting a mail about getting a discount on pics for a race I did 5 years ago is weird but I still find myself clicking the link and checking. 

I wonder if anyone has ever bough these 5 year old pics?

2 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I must admit, getting a mail about getting a discount on pics for a race I did 5 years ago is weird but I still find myself clicking the link and checking. 

I also click, out of curiosity to see what I looked like back then. But I'm certainly not buying those pics even at 50% off. If they gave me 50% off in the same year I did the race I may consider buying maybe 1 pic per event.

I think if they dropped their prices they'd sell alot more, and in return they'll probably make more money.

27 minutes ago, ouzo said:

mmmmmmmm 
Tshwane had 1732+ finishers across the 3 distances.....
Not "small" by any means.

I was actually surprised to see so many people there.  Was awesome to see.

Overpriced...........very very much agree.

Edited by Spinnekop

19 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I actually did buy one or two.  ????
Purely because at that stage (11 years ago) phone cameras were not such a big thing with quality photos and I did not even knew that they covered this specific event.......so it was quite fun to reminisce...good times..... 

It doesn't cost the organiser anything for Action Photo to be present. AP make their money off the participant and not the organiser., so that's a good thing for the organiser, to be able to offer a photo service at no cost to them.

That said, I find AP photos' shots are all the same - even the MTB ones (everyone looks the same too similar).

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

It doesn't cost the organiser anything for Action Photo to be present. AP make their money off the participant and not the organiser., so that's a good thing for the organiser, to be able to offer a photo service at no cost to them.

That said, I find AP photos' shots are all the same - even the MTB ones (everyone looks the same too similar).

I was referring more to AP sending people out to cover an event.

With their pricing and probably uptake I doubt the numbers work for them at an event with 1700 people.

I did a few of the Nissan Trail Seeker (now King Price Trail Seeker) events last year and quality photos were included in the price. 

I’m interested to know why you think the road race organisers (Hectic Promotions) can’t have the same value proposition since their pricing is similar to the Trail Seeker events at over R300 a race? 

Frosty - maybe different costing models for the event organiser to include the photos in the entry? 

Ouza - maybe numbers are too low as you said especially if it’s not included in the entry fee. 

As for the email spam - easy to solve that one. 

47 minutes ago, Grant Greyling said:

I did a few of the Nissan Trail Seeker (now King Price Trail Seeker) events last year and quality photos were included in the price. 

I’m interested to know why you think the road race organisers (Hectic Promotions) can’t have the same value proposition since their pricing is similar to the Trail Seeker events at over R300 a race? 

Frosty - maybe different costing models for the event organiser to include the photos in the entry? 

Ouzo - maybe numbers are too low as you said especially if it’s not included in the entry fee. 

As for the email spam - easy to solve that one. 

Road races are more expensive because of the need for approvals etc. to use public roads. I dont want the cost of a poorly taken photo added to that.

I'd also like to see some competition in this space, Action Photo have been the guys taking pics at Road Races since I started doing them back in 1998. The pics and pricing was acceptable back then, but they frankly have not changed anything in their offering since, other than putting the prices through the roof.

Thanks for pointing out that road races are more expensive Ouza. 

I hear you about costs - maybe an opportunity for an innovative new player.