Jacket for winter (light)

MG22

I have the following dilemma: When riding in winter I only need my jacket for the first few minutes (ie until I have warmed myself up from the inside). Then the jacket (soft shell) is just too warm. It becomes superfluous. I then have to "shlep" carry the jacket for the next few hours all the way to the end. Are there any "light" jackets on the market that give you just enough warmth and that can easily be folded or stached away on the bike? 

Any advice will be welcome???? Thank you

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Those work well. Couple of people in our group using them.

Friend of mine gave a First Ascent jacket, similar to that one from Decathlon, also folds up really small into it's own pocket and then easily stashed into your shorts pocket, shirt pocket, backpack or whatever, it is really effective, I used it in Clarens for the Amohela, it was bitterly cold in the morning, but that jacket really helped, and is quick and easy to take off, fold up and stash away

What I do on weekend rides when the temp ramps up after 8. Start with base layer and a thermal arm warmers. Cycling jersey and a Gilet. Gilet stops cold wind and after getting too hot just opens up or pac small and stow away. Normally the arm warmers stay on except if it really starts to get very hot and then those goes in the back as well. 

8 minutes ago, Jensie said:

What I do on weekend rides when the temp ramps up after 8. Start with base layer and a thermal arm warmers. Cycling jersey and a Gilet. Gilet stops cold wind and after getting too hot just opens up or pac small and stow away. Normally the arm warmers stay on except if it really starts to get very hot and then those goes in the back as well. 

Got surprised by heavy fog, and cold, rides the last few weeks.

Gilet and arm warmers works perfectly.

Then again, in the Western Cape "cold" is still a very manageble 6 degress, with a bit of wind chill.

Colder rides I have layered the Gilet with the FirstAccent sleeved jacket.

This works well to alleviate the entire problem..... ????

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/wahoo-kickr-core-indoor-trainer?utm_campaign=13337235599&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=525085504260&utm_term=&adgroupid=122269878919&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZaGBhBoEiwA8pfP_pZPGCpW0CBjZEetIJOh_UDBlsC7KHen2jLH8KzlD67ush5tqncHhBoCDG4QAvD_BwE

My approach though is a thermal base layer (I'm a fan of the Assos ones), and a wind-layer similar to the jacket Ciovita jacket Steady Spin suggested. 
And then knee warmers, toe covers, softshell gloves and a casquette (cap). I think keeping your head, hands and feet warm changes the game though. I almost feel like you can get away with less "warmth" on your body and legs if you keep your hands and feet warm.  

I have the ciovita with removable sleeves. It doesn't fold as small as I would like it to, but I have to admit that since I bought it I haven't felt cold on my bike once.

One day I'd take the full windbreaker with sleeves, another day I'll just take the gilet (leave the sleeves at home) and put arm warmers. If I use both I run out of pockets to store everything once I'm warm.

The last few rides I went out with Gloves / Arm warmers or winbreaker sleeves / Windbreaker gilet / Leg warmers and came back with all that stored in my jersey's back pockets.

It's a lot cheaper than an indoor trainer ;)

Edited by Jbr

Those plastic Jackets are nothing but sauna suits. You should look at a lycra and sports jersey fabric style gilet. I have seen some but the pricing are on another planet. 

3 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Those plastic Jackets are nothing but sauna suits. You should look at a lycra and sports jersey fabric style gilet. I have seen some but the pricing are on another planet. 

The Decathlon one is not a plastic jacket. The entire back part is also a breathable mesh panel.

22 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

The Decathlon one is not a plastic jacket. The entire back part is also a breathable mesh panel.

Not sure of the materials of my gilets.  But can confirm the FRONT stops the wind chill, while the sides and rear breath.

A good gilet stops the chill, when the temp picks up lowering the zipp slightly prevents any overheating

Thank you all for excellent feedback. Yes. The point about keeping feet, head, hands warm is also making me think. I will definitely check out all the other options that you guys have posted. ????