Lighter mountain bike wheels

Nicomrs

2 hours ago, Mark James said:

1.86cm, and when doing hard training (weight training) weigh around 98-100kg,

A tiny, tiny man, so dense that you must have your own gravitational field: about 20kg/cm3. I'm presuming you are perfectly cylindrical.

Sorry, open goal there...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Nicomrs said:

We have some very clever guys here!!

Back to my question, will it make a difference or not? 

With some of the advice here i can just fit solid steel rims then i will be ok, as long as i loose weight and get fitter.

Length and weight doesnt tell anything about bmi. Its like telling me a rugby prop must now weigh 60kg if starts cycling??

I came from 115kg, now 83 actually, i look like a skeleton keeping my bone structure into consideration. 

Sorry but I am going to sound like a douche BUT having a BMI of over 27  can only be a result of excess fat or carrying lots of muscle.

Yes Bone structure plays a part but unless you a mutant freak with insanely thick wrists, ankles, hands etc i doubt your bone structure is going to throw this metric out by that much.

so which is it?

As someone who lifts weights and somewhat follows bodybuilding and other strength sports I can tell you now most people grossly underestimate their body fat % (even on this forum). Its actually sad.

BUT maybe to answer your question, i think like many people said if you drop weight on the bike (Wheels, saddle etc) it will help but it comes at a cost and if you can afford and makes you feel good then go ahead. I know I would certainly love some shiny new parts for my bikes.

But unless you a pro rider and there really isn't anything further you can do for fitness besides peak for events, then best bang for buck to get faster uphill is to get fitter and lighter.

Edited by YaseenEnos

It's been said before, but a lighter bike will make only a very, very negligible difference. A lighter bike feels nicer to ride, but on a ride of any length, even with extensive climbing, other things such as aerodynamics and rolling resistance are far more important than weight. 

Here's a great article. Pull quote: "Decreasing the total weight by 5 kg would make the average speed increase by just 0.41 km/h"

https://ridefar.info/bike/cycling-speed/weight/

Post a picture of yourself, shirt off.

We can then see what sort of BMI we are dealing with. 

Having lost a heap of weight (very very well done!) doesn't mean it's job done. The last 10kg are always way more difficult as they usually involve diet and lifestyle changes.

I say at 83kg and your height you still have a lot of wiggle and fitness to gain before shedding any weight on the wheels will be tangible.

39 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Post a picture of yourself, shirt off.

We can then see what sort of BMI we are dealing with. 

Having lost a heap of weight (very very well done!) doesn't mean it's job done. The last 10kg are always way more difficult as they usually involve diet and lifestyle changes.

I say at 83kg and your height you still have a lot of wiggle and fitness to gain before shedding any weight on the wheels will be tangible.

There's also the reality of when losing weight, you're losing more muscle mass in the process. Something commonly referred to as skinnyfat. This happens a lot, especially with women that go on crazy diets and only hit the treadmill in the gym. They drop kilos of mass, but look flat and deflated. Skinny face, arms, flat chest, but the fat ass still lingers.

It's one of the reasons one needs to incorporate weight training, it keeps the muscles pumped and burns the fat in between the skin/muscles.

2 hours ago, Nicomrs said:

With some of the advice here i can just fit solid steel rims then i will be ok, as long as i loose weight and get fitter.

Length and weight doesnt tell anything about bmi. Its like telling me a rugby prop must now weigh 60kg if starts cycling??

I came from 115kg, now 83 actually, i look like a skeleton keeping my bone structure into consideration. 

Complete agree. The comments above ignore bone density and how just how solid some of us are. I am 178cm and 90kgs. Recently down from 95kg and many are commenting how lean I am.  When i had bad malaria a few years ago, I lost so much weight, my ribs stuck out and one could see the individual bones in my shoulders and arms. I weighed 73 at the time.

Then i have very very very dense bones

but ttais a great article and use it in long distance

but about 1 minute of cycling time saved per 100 km ridden for a 1 kg weight saving.

use it dont use it.

My Munga weight was 95. but the stress and covid has pushed that up. I got down to 102 but seems to get stuck there as i gain muscle and shed fat. Now hovering 105/109 depending on the day.

I also did the R2TS and sub 6 hour so for me some weight loss would be great and I am trying but my diesel engine needs a big tank. :)

2 hours ago, Baracuda said:

Complete agree. The comments above ignore bone density and how just how solid some of us are. I am 178cm and 90kgs. Recently down from 95kg and many are commenting how lean I am.  When i had bad malaria a few years ago, I lost so much weight, my ribs stuck out and one could see the individual bones in my shoulders and arms. I weighed 73 at the time.

On this. I have incredibly dense bones and muscles.

Like top 2% for my age bone density. I grew up running, playing contact sport and doing manual/physical labour like industrial Cray Fishing, Long line fishing and cattle mustering in Western Australia to building scaffolding, big tents and grand stands etc even after I qualified and designed them. 

You get to a point in the process where diet, portion control, booze, liquid calories, sugar and other dietary changes need to be made in order to make a difference. 

Some people carry their fat well, but it's still there.

The whole thing comes down to the effort it takes to move mass. I'm sorry, but I would put money on the fact that a 75kg very strong person will wipe the floor with a super strong 100 plus kg person 

The discussion is based around going faster, not finishing races. You're deluded if you think your weight isn't a hindrance to your speed. Talking marginal gains like a few hundred grams in a wheelset. 

I've never seen a 90 plus kg person at the sharp end of any open bike race and I've been around bikes and racing for decades.

Edited by Jewbacca

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Like top 2% for my age bone density. I grew up running, playing contact sport and doing manual/physical labour like industrial Cray Fishing, Long line fishing and cattle mustering in Western Australia to building scaffolding, big tents and grand stands etc even after I qualified and designed them. 

You get to a point in the process where diet, portion control, booze, liquid calories, sugar and other dietary changes need to be made in order to make a difference. 

The whole thing comes down to the effort it takes to move mass. I'm sorry, but I would put money on the fact that a 75kg very strong person will wipe the floor with a super strong 100 plus kg person 

The discussion is based around going faster, not finishing races. You're deluded if you think your weight isn't a hindrance to your speed. Talking marginal gains like a few hundred grams in a wheelset. 

I've never seen a 90 plus kg person at the sharp end of any open bike race and I've been around bikes and racing for decades.

Spot on. You’ve pretty much summed up everything.

6 hours ago, Nicomrs said:

I’m with you here - many people I respect on here have concluded that you have weight to lose without seeing you - one guy is about my height and weighs 67 - at 10 percent body fat I weighed at 85 - any less and I looked sick and was weaker 

I really would like to get back there but I definitely don’t want to have Chris froomes build

lighter wheels will make you faster, fact. Fast enough not to be dropped b your xc mates ? Probably not

it may be the best or even the wisest option given your bike and as per the numerous opinions here but it’s your money 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

ganna puts on 8kgs healthily and decides to ride the argus

Does he finish near the sharp end ?

he’s on a normal bike not a bmx 

this guy wasn’t built for cycling and would be considered fat - 4cm taller than Froomey and in this pic 32kgs fatter 

886C1848-3BF3-4821-9992-F1E3B4F10C7B.jpeg

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
Photo

23 hours ago, Nicomrs said:

I know it would never be a xc bike but the neuron was deigned to fill the gap between xc and trail, it climbs very well but i want it better.

Im gonna play around with tyres first,it came out with 2.3 forecasters and now i have 2.4 ardent and 2.4 aspen.

Like i mentioned it deccents like a beast, i just want that little bit extra on the climbs.

Considering going back to forecaster in front and rekon race rear.

Lets see how it goes

Forekasters has alot more resistance than the ardents. 

Perhaps try rekon and rekon race rear for faster rolling tires but then sacrifice some grip when descending.

Or Ardent infront and rekons in rear.

1 hour ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

ganna puts on 8kgs healthily and decides to ride the argus

Does he finish near the sharp end ?

he’s on a normal bike not a bmx 

this guy wasn’t built for cycling and would be considered fat - 4cm taller than Froomey and in this pic 32kgs fatter 

886C1848-3BF3-4821-9992-F1E3B4F10C7B.jpeg

Weight is weight though. If you are 100kg with 10% body fat from lifting weights or boxing etc it doesn't make you weigh less and the muscle mass isn't in the right place to make you faster at cycling. It is actually a hindrance as you need more power at a higher output to move said mass.

I get what you are saying, but there is a difference. A big difference.

A 10% fat super strong guy at 75kg has to put out 300 watts to avg 4w/kg. A guy at 100kg needs to put out 400. I bet you most people weighing 100kg can't put out 400 watts for very long despite them being strong cyclists. It's dam hard putting out 400 watts. Most strong cyclists at 75kg wouldn't be bothered too much by said 300 watts. 

So yes, you can weigh 85kg with 10% body fat, but unless that muscle mass is cycling related, it will be just as useless as a boep.

If you want to ride faster (as the OP obviously does as he started a thread about lighter wheels AND faster rolling tires) then excess muscle can be shed as well as fat, to cycle faster. Especially climbing as per the thread.

I dunno, I told him to buy carbon hoops 1st. I have no real dog in this fight, I'm just an idiot who wears flannel and tries to have fun!

As an aside, using extremes to prove a point is very internet. Exceptions to the rule aka Ganna, aren't relevant to 100kg average joes saying 'I have no excess weight to lose' and that it doesn't affect speed. It does. 99.99% of top cyclists are light. That is not by accident.

But ja, I'm done. When everyone manages to Come To Cape Town I would love to join for some rides... I'm friendly and if I can't hold your wheel you can wait for me at the top of the climbs ????

F#K all this bpdy weight k@k !

OP buy the carbon wheels , I have never met someone who regretted upgrading to carbon wheels.

Yes they may not make a huge weight difference but the bike will feel better/lighter/snappier - fill with whatever word depending on your philosophical bend.

Post a pic with the new wheels ????????????

8 hours ago, Nicomrs said:

No !

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

snip 

TLDR

argument invalid, greg minaar - 87kgs, 90 after 2 beers and a burger????