Lighter mountain bike wheels

Nicomrs

On 6/14/2021 at 10:50 AM, Darko said:

I would also assume that the XC oriented bikes of your friends have different groupsets too? Perhaps that's also the difference going uphill. 

Upgrade your groupset and get high engagement hubs for your rims. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, MORNE said:

TLDR

argument invalid, greg minaar - 87kgs, 90 after 2 beers and a burger????

But he ain't going up, rather down. that changes the metrics a bit I would say.

1 hour ago, TDFN said:

But he ain't going up, rather down. that changes the metrics a bit I would say.

I’ve got a mate (I’ll concede a bit of a freak of nature) who is 1.90m, and hovers around 90kg. He has won a Berg and Bush and Wines to Whales (the non pro events), got a 3rd overall at the 36One in 2018, and two top 50 Epic finishes. 

He is an ex crossfitter, he is a big guy (no fat), and has no interest in losing any muscle because as soon as he does he loses power (of which he outs out a freakish amount). 

There are exceptions to every rule, but I guess what I am trying to say is that not everyone wants to be all skin and bone. 

But anyway, this thread was about the effect carbon wheels will have on his climbing speed, not his body weight. 

8 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

He will smoke most of us going up as well. 

And still Sagan would smoke him, who in turn he wouldn’t be able to keep up with Froome up a mountain pass. 
Just like climbing ability, physics is obviously not everyone’s strong suit. 

Honestly, with a 14 kg bike, changing the wheels is not going to make that much of a difference. You'd be better off saving the money, trading in the bike and looking for a light cross-country bike if that's what matters to you. An older Trek 9.8 SL comes in at about 11.7 kg (factory numbers). But really, unless you are riding very competitively and aiming to get on a podium, for the most part it's a function of just ride and enjoy it. You're only competing with your mates, anyway. Whether you cross the line 50th or 150th doesn't matter all that much to anybody other than you. And the whole bodyweight thing… Look at it simply as a matter of your health. Being too light is no good either. And for many of us, the 'refrigerator penalty' is just too much too bear for being that little bit faster. It's all about balance. Unless you are a pro, cycling should add health and enjoyment to your life. Not misery…

Edited by MudLark