Fitting of a speed box chip to an ebike

Richard tiplady

Has anyone had any experience with chipping an ebike. I have a speed box chip, who can I approach to fit it.

Thanks Guys

If you want to shorten the life of your components, then go ahead.

Our club chairman did that, and ended up replacing his chain, cassette, chain rings after about 1000Km (+/- 30 hours of use). Then, after about 3000Km of use, he had worn down the internal components (motor, drive gear, or whatever is inside the "gear box") because of the extra forces being applied. 

Been cycling all my life.Unfortunately had a seizure a week ago and had to go the ebike route or stay off my bike bummer. Just bought an e bike as an interim solution and it came with an unfitted chip so just looking for unbiased advice.

Do you ride with a group, and are you wanting to stay with that said group? If not, why would you want to ride any faster than you need to? Serious question.

We have two club members with eBikes, and besides being on the heavy side, they can still ride with us on a long ride (up to 140km). There is no need for them to chip the bike to keep up.

Like I said the bike came with an unfitted chip I just want to know if it is worth fitting. Yes we did ride in a group and in normal circumstances I would keep up but now I would need assistance hence the ebike my heart peak reduced from 175 to 135.

Richard is your ebike assist currently limited to 25 or 32km/h ?

You dont need more than that on the trails.

The only time I "need" (want) more than the 32km/h limit of the Giant Trance E+ is on the tar sections to and from the trails.  Downhills you dont need the motor to go past the speed assist limit.  Uphill you are going to USE the battery to go faster !!  First spend some time getting a feel for the "range" vs "assist" of your bike ...

I did a nice 55km trip this afternoon, including 1025m elevation.  Most of the tar sections was not safe to faster, given the amount of afternoon traffic.  Even so, if was to use more assist to go faster the battery would have run out.

That said .... the REAL question: "Did your bike come with a warranty ?"  ALSO, check on the warranty transfer policy for your brand .... each brand has a totally different approach to this .....  Well worth checking !!!  Pretty sure the previous guy fitted that chip and voided the warranty .....  IF you still have a valid warranty, please dont risk it by fitting the chip at this stage ....  

ENJOY the bike :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

If you want to shorten the life of your components, then go ahead.

Our club chairman did that, and ended up replacing his chain, cassette, chain rings after about 1000Km (+/- 30 hours of use). Then, after about 3000Km of use, he had worn down the internal components (motor, drive gear, or whatever is inside the "gear box") because of the extra forces being applied. 

The internals of those motors are designed for the rated power of that motor IE 250 ,350 watt etc . Its like  super charging a standard motor on a car without upgrading the internals . It does not last long and then its a expensive repair .

Edited by FirstV8

Thanks the kind of advice I’m looking for. The bike is a gravel bike that will be used mainly on road. Power will not be abused but used to keep up with a peak heart rate reduced from 175 to +- 140. The current speed limit is 28 k/m hour. A typical 50 km cradle ride was at about 27 k/m hr.

15 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

The internals of those motors are designed for the rated power of that motor IE 250 ,350 watt etc . Its like  super charging a standard motor on a car without upgrading the internals . It does not last long and then its a expensive repair .

As soon as it’s chipped the warranty is void and it very expensive to repair.

R16k for our chairman to replace all the broken parts, and nothing covered by the warranty.

8 hours ago, Richard tiplady said:

Thanks the kind of advice I’m looking for. The bike is a gravel bike that will be used mainly on road. Power will not be abused but used to keep up with a peak heart rate reduced from 175 to +- 140. The current speed limit is 28 k/m hour. A typical 50 km cradle ride was at about 27 k/m hr.

Try a few rides first ... unchipped.

Chances are you will lead the pack on inclines and hills ...

Levels you will struggle .... I am going at around 30km/h to keep up with the roadies on level sections. (My bikes assist limit is 32km/h)

Downhill these bikes dont have the gears, you spin out while your buddies dissapear in the distance ....

Most gravel ebikes comes with small batteries .... if you boost the motor your battery range wont last for those 50km rides.

PS ... where do you live ?  Couple of shops around here that can "raise" the assist speed limit, without adding more power to the motor ... hopefully this will do the trick for you ... this and other gearing ....

PPS ... You want to look at the 42 front ring that Chilled Squirrel has .... 

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Changing the chain ring will also void the warranty - this is referring to a Giant.

Ouch ....

Would be interesting to see the Giant ebike warranty document.  I never got a clear answer from Giant Durbanville on this .... would love to know what is covered, and for how long ....

As soon as warranty is off the table I will have my bike serviced at Mark or Louise ????