Tubeless conversion issues

RJClegg

Hi all, 

So, some of you may recall I posted a thread about going tubeless. I decided to bite the bullet and go all in on that. I bought the following 

2 x Vittoria tubeless ready tyres 
1 x Stans sealant 
2 x tubeless valves 
1 x gorilla tape 
1 x Pro Team tubeless pump-canister (https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/pro-team-compressor-tubeless-pump-black/)

I have tried to inflate the tyre many times now and reapplied the tape a many times. However every time I try inflate the tyre it seems like air is escaping out the sidewalls. between bead and rim. Using soapy water confirms this, I tried to go another layer on the tape which made little difference. 

My rims are what came with the bike (Scott 955) and are Syncro rims - which look as picture inside 

At this stage I feel like is the rims that are the issue. 

Any advice on this would be great. 

Thanks all 

d7b711ec-dc4f-4db7-bcdd-65c694d2cfd8.jpg.b725e977a27757958e28a34f135e9191.jpgda8ae323-2b6c-4733-b6d3-03507563f68b.jpg.2dbe80bcc91b490652797527a0a0e755.jpg

Edited by RJClegg

Sometimes the air tanks just don't deliver enough air quickly enough to seat the bead. (assuming all else is fine)

There are occassions when only a compressor/service station/bomb will get the job done.

Edited by Thomo

13 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Sometimes the air tanks just don't deliver enough air quickly enough to seat the bead. (assuming all else is fine)

There are occassions when only a compressor/service station/bomb will get the job done.

Thanks. I’ve seen this air tank be used on a few YouTube videos. Looks like it does the job fine. 

saw a video now about new tyres not having uniform beads due to packaging and suggestion is to stick a tube in the tyre over night. So will see tomorrow. 

that rim has a deeper channel, it will need some more tape. I suggest you build it up with some insulation tape and finish it off with one good layer over the top. The tape needs to go all the way into the bead...not sit in the middle. Your proble is you need to build up that gap so it seals better. Sometimes it's just a rim/tire combo. on my front wheel it seats with one layer of tape and a 2.6 rekon. aon the back it needs about three layers to seat a 2.35 rekon race. i'm 100% sure you can get them to seal with the right amount of tape. 

if you just want to test it...get some el cheapo insulation tape..but nice an thick ones and build it up. even if it takes 10 turns. the tape is alot thinner than gorilla tape...but alot cheaper too. it should give yu an idea of how thick you need to go. i had a set of rims that were also seemingly impossible to seal and got the job done this way. They seal up without sealant so dont waste that yet...you can ad it afterwards through the valve.

edit 2: the problem with a rim that has a deeper channel like that is that the tire goes and sits in the channel and no amount of air is going to help it out. thats why you need to build up the channel so it does basically seal inside the channel and then pushes itself up the channel to the bead.

Edited by MORNE

you also dont need any special pumps....a normal floor pump will work if you get the right amount of gap between the tape and the tire. not even a compressor will seat a tire if it's not sitting right in relation to the tape

43 minutes ago, MORNE said:

that rim has a deeper channel, it will need some more tape. I suggest you build it up with some insulation tape and finish it off with one good layer over the top. The tape needs to go all the way into the bead...not sit in the middle. Your proble is you need to build up that gap so it seals better. Sometimes it's just a rim/tire combo. on my front wheel it seats with one layer of tape and a 2.6 rekon. aon the back it needs about three layers to seat a 2.35 rekon race. i'm 100% sure you can get them to seal with the right amount of tape. 

if you just want to test it...get some el cheapo insulation tape..but nice an thick ones and build it up. even if it takes 10 turns. the tape is alot thinner than gorilla tape...but alot cheaper too. it should give yu an idea of how thick you need to go. i had a set of rims that were also seemingly impossible to seal and got the job done this way. They seal up without sealant so dont waste that yet...you can ad it afterwards through the valve.

edit 2: the problem with a rim that has a deeper channel like that is that the tire goes and sits in the channel and no amount of air is going to help it out. thats why you need to build up the channel so it does basically seal inside the channel and then pushes itself up the channel to the bead.

Thank you. Very useful info. I’ll try these suggestions tomorrow. 

take the valve core out of the valve the first time you inflate. this allows the air to rush in and do the seating for you.

then use your finger tip to block the air coming out and get the valve core back in. you'll figure it out :)

I usually do not use tape between the tyre and the rim - the naked mount tyre-to-rim is usually fine.

Edited by 100Tours

51 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Spot on.

Success! ????

Ended up following @MORNE 's advise and using insulation tape at first - did about 4 layers. Then followed up with two - three layers of gorilla tape. This time when putting the tyre back on, I had to use soapy water as the fit was much tighter. 

23 hours ago, MORNE said:

you also dont need any special pumps....a normal floor pump will work if you get the right amount of gap between the tape and the tire. not even a compressor will seat a tire if it's not sitting right in relation to the tape

If I did not have the air compressor with me; there was no getting those tyres to seat. I first tried with just the floor pump and was back at the same result as before. Removing the valve core didn't help with just the floor pump. I then used the air compressor and it worked first time!

22 hours ago, 100Tours said:

take the valve core out of the valve the first time you inflate. this allows the air to rush in and do the seating for you.

then use your finger tip to block the air coming out and get the valve core back in. you'll figure it out :)

I usually do not use tape between the tyre and the rim - the naked mount tyre-to-rim is usually fine.

I had to do this! Once removing the core; the tyre was able to seat!

Once the tyre was seated, I deflated it, reinstalled the valve core and then removed a little bit of the tyre from the rim to pour in some sealant. Refitted the tyre and used the floor pump to pump them to 40 psi to sit over night after bouncing and spinning them around for the sealant to get everywhere 

Now have two tubeless wheels with inflated tyres and sealant!

Thanks to all the help, much appreciated. I am going to try out the new tyres tomorrow and go for a ride!

32 minutes ago, RJClegg said:

Success! ????

Ended up following @MORNE 's advise and using insulation tape at first - did about 4 layers. Then followed up with two - three layers of gorilla tape. This time when putting the tyre back on, I had to use soapy water as the fit was much tighter. 

If I did not have the air compressor with me; there was no getting those tyres to seat. I first tried with just the floor pump and was back at the same result as before. Removing the valve core didn't help with just the floor pump. I then used the air compressor and it worked first time!

I had to do this! Once removing the core; the tyre was able to seat!

Once the tyre was seated, I deflated it, reinstalled the valve core and then removed a little bit of the tyre from the rim to pour in some sealant. Refitted the tyre and used the floor pump to pump them to 40 psi to sit over night after bouncing and spinning them around for the sealant to get everywhere 

Now have two tubeless wheels with inflated tyres and sealant!

Thanks to all the help, much appreciated. I am going to try out the new tyres tomorrow and go for a ride!

14F6FCB2-EE76-4CF6-95FE-BE16E0937786.gif