Spoking a wheel

Dismantle wheel, then poke whoever built it with the spokes. Then saw the hub in half so nobody else uses it.

As others have said - radial lacing won't hold up to disc brakes due to the torsional loads. Braking will cause a massive increase in spoke tension which will destroy either the rim or the hub (place your bets, wear your knee pads, and hope it doesn't destroy your fork as well). This is also why you won't ever see radially laced rear wheels.

A 24 hole wheel should be laced 2 cross on the disc side at least.

Sheldon Brown's take if you want some light reading.

An engineering paper if you're into that kind of thing, or if you're not but having trouble sleeping.

Edited by droo

Took it back to Complete Cyclist bryanston to get told, don't worry we will change it... bull****.. just do it right the 1st time.. no apology at all.. premium store my ass

On 6/15/2021 at 8:00 AM, Long Wheel Base said:

There are 2 wheel building experts that frequent here that I know of, David and Nic. I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same as what has been said here already.

We got 2 sets of Rolfs for the tandem and the fronts are radial and they supposed to be decent wheels but imho they k@k and it mostly comes down to how they laced. Our new carbon wheels we crossed the front twice and haven't had any issues.

Two words for you: Tie and Solder.

46 minutes ago, Stingray said:

Took it back to Complete Cyclist bryanston to get told, don't worry we will change it... bull****.. just do it right the 1st time.. no apology at all.. premium store my ass

Named and shamed.!

There are a couple of stores that if named would have been no surprise ... 

I for one am surprised by this, not that I have any experience with CC.