Spoking a wheel

Is there anyone out there that is an expert on spoking wheel. I had a set of wheel done and want to know if this is correct as I am not an expert and don't want to get taken for a ride.. Please see the pic and let me know your thoughts

ea5e5f0a-951e-4380-afd1-8001ed0c9b2f.jpg

Is that on a MTB? 

If so, you will die. One does not simply radially lace an MTB wheel!

2 cross or 3 cross would be my preference. I definitely wouldn't lace the front wheel radially on the brake side. You could get away with 2 cross on the brake side and radial spokes on the drive side if you weighed little or it's for a kid, but you need some torsional strength there.

I'm sorry, I would say that is a fail.

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Well..... Probably not

21 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Is that on a MTB? 

If so, you will die. One does not simply radially lace an MTB wheel!

2 cross or 3 cross would be my preference. I definitely wouldn't lace the front wheel radially on the brake side. You could get away with 2 cross on the brake side and radial spokes on the drive side if you weighed little or it's for a kid, but you need some torsional strength there.

I'm sorry, I would say that is a fail.

Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Well..... Probably not

not to mention that hub is probably toast now....as far as i've read you cant just radially lace ANY hub...the flanges on the hub need to 'support' radial lacing. If they dont they could crack since it takes way more force to get a wheel true when laced radially than say 3x?

30 minutes ago, Stingray said:

Is there anyone out there that is an expert on spoking wheel. I had a set of wheel done and want to know if this is correct as I am not an expert and don't want to get taken for a ride.. Please see the pic and let me know your thoughts

ea5e5f0a-951e-4380-afd1-8001ed0c9b2f.jpg

Generally speaking front wheels are a 2x cross pattern, rear wheels are a 3x cross lacing pattern. (From my experience)

That looks like 24 spoke hub and rim so yes it should be a 2 cross lace to give it strength.  

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Wait...... If that was done at a bikeshop, you need to tell us who.

I shudder to think of what else they do that is less noticeable but perhaps just as appalling

“Did you know you could dremel down a  shimano crank spindle by 1mm and make it fit a gxp bb” ????

/comicsans/

haha

Two things:

My question is, who asked them to do this? 

Radially lacing should be done as in a normal 2 or 3 cross where every second spoke is threaded from different sides. 

There are 2 wheel building experts that frequent here that I know of, David and Nic. I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same as what has been said here already.

We got 2 sets of Rolfs for the tandem and the fronts are radial and they supposed to be decent wheels but imho they k@k and it mostly comes down to how they laced. Our new carbon wheels we crossed the front twice and haven't had any issues.

Radial lacing was pretty common on the front in the late 90 when we used rim brakes. With rim brakes the spokes feel very little of the braking forces. With discs, its a different story, they feel all of it. That is definitely not safe.

Radial lacing doesn't handle torsional forces very well. On a mountain bike and with disc brakes too, that's looking for trouble. I wouldn't ride it. That kind of lacing is common on rim brake road bikes because it results in a small bit of weight saving and slightly better aerodynamics. But you won't see a disc brake road bike with it. The reason for that is because with a disc brake set up the braking force is transferred to the rim through the spokes. And with disc brakes you can - and especially on a mountain bike usually do - have significant braking forces applied.

Edited by MudLark