Fast rolling tyres

Nicomrs

Hi Guys,

Currently running 2.4 ardent up front and 2.4 aspen in the rear.

I want something faster going uphill but still need some cornering grip.to enjoy the downhills.

Any suggestions?

Spez fast track in front and renegade in the rear , But you better be damn good at cornering 

I will get shot down but entry level crossmarks i think are faster rolling tyres, but not as grippy as what you have. I had icons once in front, felt lank slow. Option 2 is change to a faster roller at the back, thinner, maybe 2.25 or 2.3? I can swear wider tyres feel slower on long uphills, i am still old school, running 2.25 front and back. There are so many threads about how wider is better, as i said, thats how it feels to me.

1 hour ago, Nicomrs said:

Hi Guys,

Currently running 2.4 ardent up front and 2.4 aspen in the rear.

I want something faster going uphill but still need some cornering grip.to enjoy the downhills.

Any suggestions?

Hey Nico 

I had ardent/aspen front/rear on my Scott RC900 WC, and switched a few weeks ago to Recon Race 2.35 front/rear. Finding them equally fast (maybe faster uphill - possibly because they are new).

On flats and downhill they feel less grippy at times than a more aggressive tyre, but had zero issues with them, even on fast downhill cornering. Hope this helps ????

Edited by Mark James

3 minutes ago, Mark James said:

Hey Nico 

I had ardent/aspen front/rear on my Scott RC900 WC, and switched a few weeks ago to Recon Race 2.35 front/rear. Finding them equally fast (maybe faster uphill - because they are new).

Super happy with the choice

Been using this combo for a while, love it so far not going to change anytime soon. I do believe the aspen rolls better, maybe the ardent too, but I find the rolling resistance / traction&grip ratio so good on the recon race, and it works all year long

Edited by Jbr

exactly where my confusion kicks in, on my hard tail ive got the vittoria barzo/mezcal combo 2.35, i only use it on opengravel roads and it rolls fast but i dont like the compound, absolutely no grip in the single track.

The ardent 2.4 grips very good up front but almost a 900g tyre, the aspen in the rear is ok but the size(2.4) for a rear confuses me about the high volume tyre thing.

People like Nino shurter swears by the aspen front and rear.

Maybe im just running the wrong pressures?

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Been using this combo for a while, love it so far not going to change anytime soon. I do believe the aspen rolls better, maybe the ardent too, but I find the rolling resistance / traction&grip ratio so good on the recon race, and it works all year long

Im also thinking of going to a rekon race 2.35 front and rear, just worrid about the grip and also if its going to be worth it instead of just replacing the ardent also with a aspen 2.4 in the front?

13 minutes ago, Nicomrs said:

Im also thinking of going to a rekon race 2.35 front and rear, just worrid about the grip and also if its going to be worth it instead of just replacing the ardent also with a aspen 2.4 in the front?

you shouldn't worry about grip on the rekon race, it's a great tyre. The aspen surely is an amazing tyre when you are a pro and replace it often. I had old aspens on my lefty when I bought it, and they had 0 traction both on the brakes and on the gas. Those threads don't look like they last so I don't know how long it takes for those tyres to get to that point where they become as useless as when I rode them, but the way they look, I'd assume not long compared to the recon race. It's all personnal feeling though, I'm probably very wrong ;)

35 minutes ago, Nicomrs said:

People like Nino shurter swears by the aspen front and rear.

I think you'll find Nino could run slicks and still out-corner most of us wannabees. It is very seldom useful looking at the setups run by XCO pros unless you're already a seriously fast rider.

3 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I think you'll find Nino could run slicks and still out-corner most of us wannabees. It is very seldom useful looking at the setups run by XCO pros unless you're already a seriously fast rider.

and that of course !

5 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Cheapies with the right pressure will outrun most uber brands with incorrect pressure. I for one still battle to get my tyres on the right pressure for varying surface types in a ride ????

You tend to go too hard most of the times in an attempt to cut down rolling resistance - and end up paying the price when you need grip in corners ........ ????

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

Cheapies with the right pressure will outrun most uber brands with incorrect pressure. I for one still battle to get my tyres on the right pressure for varying surface types in a ride ????

You tend to go too hard most of the times in an attempt to cut down rolling resistance - and end up paying the price when you need grip in corners ........ ????

Indeed, this too.

funny thing i just picked up, the forecaster is lighter than the rekon race?

Maybe forecaster front and rekon race back?

Sounds good.

Harder doesn't mean better rolling resistance...... Take road cycling as an example.

Also, When we all ran 2.2bar tubes back in the day, some guys were still way faster than most of us are today.

I can assure you that good technique will far outweigh any tire changes.

The thing is, if you had rubbish tires now and were upgrading to good tires, I would be all for it, but changing good tires for other similar good tires isn't going to change much.

I'm not the fastest shredder of gnar, but neither am I entirely rubbish. I reckon I don't get close to the edge of my tire's performance and have hopped between a whole whack of tires over the years, all with similar descending times in corresponding conditions.

My ability is my bottle neck, my tires just tend to do a job. 

(I agree that some tires are entirely rubbish. I addressed this earlier)