Cradle loop and a bit of a rant - share the road

Spy007

Good luck getting any form of cooperation from Cycle Lab that results in all parties walking away from the discussions with workable solutions.

I am aware of a situation where a lady attempted to take up the matter of bad behavior of riders in the groups, where riders swore and shouted at children and other road users, with Andrew and another person who's name I don't remember.  Emails were sent back and forth, and a face to face meeting was had.  In the end Cycle Lab refuses to take any responsibility for the behavior of the riders in the groups and pushed all blame onto the other parties.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I'm going to disagree with you on this.

How do you pass other people riding slower than you ? you would also then need to go into the road.

The yellow lane is an emergency lane that just happened to be turned into a cycle lane, I'm certainly not going to fix my puncture on the grass next to the road, but I'll also make sure I'm not taking up the entire lane if possible.

Its gravel and the sensible place

18 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I'm going to disagree with you on this.

How do you pass other people riding slower than you ? you would also then need to go into the road.

The yellow lane is an emergency lane that just happened to be turned into a cycle lane, I'm certainly not going to fix my puncture on the grass next to the road, but I'll also make sure I'm not taking up the entire lane if possible.

We can agree to disagree. There was a gentlemen who was doing just that. had his bike up side down on the soft grass fixing his puncture. There was plenty of space. So thanks to him. If youa re gonna fix it on the road then as you say leave space but to many times i see 3 or 4 muppets standing there not helping and taking up space. but i wourld rather sit on the soft grass and fix mine that sit on the hard tar. but then again that's me.

18 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Couple of weeks back when we went riding at Cradle Moon a couple of muppets sat on their mountain bikes in the middle of the road in the parking area and looked at us like we were crazy when we wanted to pass. The one guy moved probably about 30cm so I could just get past with the bakkie. The other damn idiots just sat there looking at us and refused to move. I managed to just squeeze through without hitting one of them. 

When we got to an open parking spot on the grass section our friends were already there. Guess what; they had exactly the same experience with the same guys a couple of minutes prior.

These clowns are everywhere.

Agree muppets everywhere. Seems especially since covid people have just gotten progressively worse and seems the general contempt for other human beings have increase 10 fold

23 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

Good luck getting any form of cooperation from Cycle Lab that results in all parties walking away from the discussions with workable solutions.

I am aware of a situation where a lady attempted to take up the matter of bad behavior of riders in the groups, where riders swore and shouted at children and other road users, with Andrew and another person who's name I don't remember.  Emails were sent back and forth, and a face to face meeting was had.  In the end Cycle Lab refuses to take any responsibility for the behavior of the riders in the groups and pushed all blame onto the other parties.

Thanks I guess il have to start spending my money at other shops as i support CWC and cyclelab but my little protest wont make a dent but when i go there again will have a friendly chat and next time on the road i am sure we can do it in the correct manner.

But it is there Support vehicle?  MMMMmm

Muskets at dawn and all....at 20paces. No support vehicles allowed....

3 minutes ago, agilwolf said:

I guess what I'm trying to get to is that they'll always try and shift the blame to someone else ...

I guess so, but how do they then have a support vehicle all branded and blame others.

As i said I for one will stop buying from them and CWC and look elsewhere. But guess wont make a difference to them.

Unfortunately the problem is way bigger than just one group of riders, its human nature. A great deal of people are quite selfish (to put it lightly), so, once the adrenalin and or tiredness start to set in this trait is just amplified.   

34 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Unfortunately the problem is way bigger than just one group of riders, its human nature. A great deal of people are quite selfish (to put it lightly), so, once the adrenalin and or tiredness start to set in this trait is just amplified.   

Absolutely. Morons are not limited to CycleLab, nor even cyclist for that matter.

BUT CycleLab being so big and so visible, does mean that their name pops up here more often than others.

They do need to think about how to make their groups a little smaller, or educate their club members more.

As a general point, the larger the group of riders, the more twatness that seems to come out.

Reminds me of Mom George:

spacer.png

The only thing i get from this is a lot of cycle lab ranting and bashing.  TBH the viewpoints dont add any value and this aint news, rather IMO and you used a lot of energy venting your spleen against Cyclelab.

FWIW there are tons of cars following everyone in the cradle in the yellow line which I agree causes a safety problem. I think the better post would be to highlight this habit of the follow cars that causes issues especially when you need to pass them wide.

Agreed groups are too big for many clubs and very difficult to manage, but there is safety in numbers as they say. 

But then again road runners using the cradle running abreast cause the same problems as follow cars i.e. they force you wide and if there is a car then you are exposed.

Here is the news though - you dont have to ride there - you can ride elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to choose that venue. If you deliberately go there and ride there then you manage the conditions you find there like everyone else does if they choose to.

Honest question: when doing these club rides with a support vehicle, should the cyclists be single file or can they be 3-4 abreast taking up the whole lane?

1 hour ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

The only thing i get from this is a lot of cycle lab ranting and bashing.  TBH the viewpoints dont add any value and this aint news, rather IMO and you used a lot of energy venting your spleen against Cyclelab.

FWIW there are tons of cars following everyone in the cradle in the yellow line which I agree causes a safety problem. I think the better post would be to highlight this habit of the follow cars that causes issues especially when you need to pass them wide.

Agreed groups are too big for many clubs and very difficult to manage, but there is safety in numbers as they say. 

But then again road runners using the cradle running abreast cause the same problems as follow cars i.e. they force you wide and if there is a car then you are exposed.

Here is the news though - you dont have to ride there - you can ride elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to choose that venue. If you deliberately go there and ride there then you manage the conditions you find there like everyone else does if they choose to.

I guess you missed the part where is say others do it and that is the reason why i dont ride there but then again that day at that time it was them and i also dont appreciate them shouting at my wife when they are in the wrong. But as you say i can choose not to ride there same as your choose to comment and read this post. Many happy and safe miles to you.

On a side note. we are becoming more complacent and no mater what it is, a stop street here. on our phones in the car there, here a big group, we are getting to a point where we all look the other way and scared to take abuse on public forum so we ignore it and start managing conditions.

Seems similar to Eskom not heeding warnings and then starting to manage conditions and we are where we are today. so I guess we will keep managing it until it gets out of control and then look back and go, if only we all took a bit more care....

It is not just the cradle loop. Its every where. The downright refusal to fall into single file, or use the cycle lane as required by law. People cant be bothered. Its me, myself and I. Unfortunately if there is an accident because someone is negligent on the road, then the family members have too deal with the trauma. 

17 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

It is not just the cradle loop. Its every where. The downright refusal to fall into single file, or use the cycle lane as required by law. People cant be bothered. Its me, myself and I. Unfortunately if there is an accident because someone is negligent on the road, then the family members have too deal with the trauma. 

It’s the slow steady certain rotten decay that is Africa….(oops, slightly political sorry Bikehub)

"you manage the conditions you find there like everyone else does if they choose to. "

Lol and here in lies the main issue.

I travel in Africa and it is more true than most people realize.

56 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

It’s the slow steady certain rotten decay that is Africa….(oops, slightly political sorry Bikehub)