Cradle loop and a bit of a rant - share the road

Spy007

37 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I know of one instance where said Andrew came up behind a family member of mine on the MTB trail and rather than wait till she could let him pass, had to rang his bell....not even in a race Nogal. It starts and ends with Cyclelab.

Nothing wrong with that. That’s what bells are for. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not when there is no space for ahead rider to move over and she was well aware of his presence. It was a case of "get out of my way". I'm not sure who taught you how to treat a lady but I will never ring my bell at a lady on the trail. In fact I only ring my bell at someone standing and blocking the trail. I'll always either say don't worry I'll pass when I get a gap or passing on your right etc...but that's a whole new thread.. 

Edited by love2fly

39 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Nothing wrong with that. That’s what bells are for. 

It’s that interpretation of the sound of a bell, car horn, etc.. by the person receiving it where the real issue lies. That same “ring ring” can be heard as a “gentle howzit, I’ve come up behind you and don’t want to startle you” to a “GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY NOW YOU INFERIOR MUPPET” 

Problem in general these days is people are selfish and super sensitive to everything. We programmed to expect and think the worst. It’s sad. 

I’ve always responded and taught my boys the same to a bell or call for “trek” that acknowledged their presence and tell them you’ll move over as soon as safe to do so. And then do so. If they can’t wait, we’ll it’s up to them to find a way around you. 

Agreed. I've given a couple of short hoots when driving up behind cyclists 3 abreast on the Avianca road just to let them know I was there only to get the finger....

1 minute ago, love2fly said:

Agreed. I've given a couple of short hoots when driving up behind cyclists 3 abreast on the Avianca road just to let them know I was there only to get the finger....

I hope there wasn’t any ladies amongst them.

14 minutes ago, WrightJnr said:

I’ve always responded and taught my boys the same to a bell or call for “trek” that acknowledged their presence and tell them you’ll move over as soon as safe to do so. And then do so. If they can’t wait, we’ll it’s up to them to find a way around you. 

This is the right way, rather than taking offence. Well done! 

Sad that bells are seen so negatively. Always better to let people know you are behind them. Just because you ring the bell doesn't mean you are expecting people to dive for cover on the trail/road.

Edited by linnega

3 minutes ago, linnega said:

Sad that bells are seen so negatively. Always better to let people know you are behind them. Just because you ring the bell doesn't mean you are expecting people to dive for cover on the trail/road.

Kind of like a few short hoots at riders who are riding 3 abreast to let them know you are there.

4 minutes ago, linnega said:

I let the humming sound of my ID9 hubs do that for me ....

Or the WirrrWirrr of my ebike motor ...

I dont like cycle lab. They're elitist and they ruined CWC firesales. There, now that that is out of the way... 

I used to be a club member, simply because they were the most accessible club to someone who didn't have mates who cycled. 

Our rides were almost always near perfect. Two abreast on the wider roads, single file through cedar, follow vehicle always way behind helping randos with punctures or following super slow noobs. Pick any club, hell, even a brand that has a familiar and popular shirt, and you'll find complaints. People ride badly. Drivers drige badly. Neither thinks they're at fault at the time, or we would never have road accidents. 

Now, we can argue all day. Fact is, it seemed your wife was impatient to overtake dangerously, and its been proven many times that a larger group should infact take up the lane to reduce the group length, so pasing cars have more opportunities to overtake without risk, in the usual manner of overtaking in the oncoming lane. Treat the bikes like a slow truck or tractor. You wait, and pass safely, and wave as you go. 

For punctures, yes people can we unaware of self. Its oretty normal. I've been caught up, pissed that i heard the ol hiss of fate, and stopped asap and got off to start fixing, only to snap awake and realise, tyre loose and tubes in hand, that me and the bike are in the way... You could slow down, offer to assist, and point out their position in a manner that is less entitled, and you'll probably help both of you have a better day. 

Lastly, riding your bike is supposed to relax you. Its supposed to bring a zen that puts life and people into perspective. I hope you find that with more riding and less aggression. Just try help instead of moaning. 

Back to topic.

I totally agree with the OP comments. As someone who lives in the cradle the Cycle Lab groups are leaving a bad taste in the mouths of most of the land owners there. Not to mention the amount of discarded road bike tubes I find in the bushes when we have been removing some of the invasive plants. 

14 hours ago, linnega said:

He's still alive. Great to see you are still around Linnega.????

Another "voice of reason" from the past.

14 hours ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Back to topic.

I totally agree with the OP comments. As someone who lives in the cradle the Cycle Lab groups are leaving a bad taste in the mouths of most of the land owners there. Not to mention the amount of discarded road bike tubes I find in the bushes when we have been removing some of the invasive plants. 

This, along with tossing used Co2 bombs, is totally unacceptable. Yes, riding with them in your back pockets that are probably already stuffed with winter riding gear isn't great, but ask a mate who might have a pocket space to spare to carry it. Who knows, the tube could be up-cycled, or even patched and used again. 

4 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

This, along with tossing used Co2 bombs, is totally unacceptable. Yes, riding with them in your back pockets that are probably already stuffed with winter riding gear isn't great, but ask a mate who might have a pocket space to spare to carry it. Who knows, the tube could be up-cycled, or even patched and used again. 

Cycle Lab riders don't patch tubes..... they only use new ones

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts