Cradle loop and a bit of a rant - share the road

Spy007

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, Butterbean said:

I dont like cycle lab. They're elitist and they ruined CWC firesales. There, now that that is out of the way... 

I used to be a club member, simply because they were the most accessible club to someone who didn't have mates who cycled. 

Our rides were almost always near perfect. Two abreast on the wider roads, single file through cedar, follow vehicle always way behind helping randos with punctures or following super slow noobs. Pick any club, hell, even a brand that has a familiar and popular shirt, and you'll find complaints. People ride badly. Drivers drige badly. Neither thinks they're at fault at the time, or we would never have road accidents. 

Now, we can argue all day. Fact is, it seemed your wife was impatient to overtake dangerously, and its been proven many times that a larger group should infact take up the lane to reduce the group length, so pasing cars have more opportunities to overtake without risk, in the usual manner of overtaking in the oncoming lane. Treat the bikes like a slow truck or tractor. You wait, and pass safely, and wave as you go. 

For punctures, yes people can we unaware of self. Its oretty normal. I've been caught up, pissed that i heard the ol hiss of fate, and stopped asap and got off to start fixing, only to snap awake and realise, tyre loose and tubes in hand, that me and the bike are in the way... You could slow down, offer to assist, and point out their position in a manner that is less entitled, and you'll probably help both of you have a better day. 

Lastly, riding your bike is supposed to relax you. Its supposed to bring a zen that puts life and people into perspective. I hope you find that with more riding and less aggression. Just try help instead of moaning. 

Great post with lots of EQ

For the safety and consideration of every road user. Why cant the groups be limited to say 6 or 8? 

On 6/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, Butterbean said:

Fact is, it seemed your wife was impatient to overtake dangerously, and its been proven many times that a larger group should infact take up the lane to reduce the group length

Actually now. it was on the second uphill so dont see the reason behind a group taking up the whole lane when they will be doing that climb.

And again this weekend i was amazed at the utter lack of care, selfishness and stupidity. I had no choice as it was part of the 200km ride.

Anyway. bonked twice over 300km this weekend so really

no more f#cks to give.

• 4 months later...

Yesterday was spent in the Lion and Rhino reserve putting some Mitsubishi's through some punishment on the offroad course. So I got to experience the Cradle from a motorist point of view.

I had already asked my colleagues to give themselves plenty time to get to the venue as their would be plenty cyclists on the road that may hold them up.

As a cyclist in a car, fully expecting people riding everywhere I took it slow, but man there are some guys that really just want to make it unpleasant for everyone else. I'm not going to highlight particular incidents, only to say that if I was just a motorist heading through there I can see why they get upset. There is a point where being courteous and patient needs to come from both sides.

But the most important thing that was brought to my attention is the circles, with cyclists approaching from all directions and heading in all directions, without any indication which way they are going makes for a dangerous situation. 

Spent some time in the Cradle on Saturday - I was expecting the Cradle Wars thread to pop up again.

People riding across the lane and into the road, don't know where they expect others to pass... Blocking the cycling lane cause they just want to stand around... Littering... etc.

Just silly.

Some fun national contrast....

Lately there have been some local issues (accidents etc) on multiuse paths (pedestrians and cyclists) over here. Most the chatter on Danish threads has been how to make it safer for everyone. A father and daughter team spent a few weekends painting dotted lines on roads/paths etc (with permission from the council). Local interest groups (hiking clubs/cycling clubs) had an open meeting and lobbied the local council to change some intersections where visibility was compromised etc. The group themselves did the work and paid for the materials (council just approved the ideas).

Most of this cradle thread is dedicated to blame, self interest and ranting...

Now of course the 2 countries are worlds apart but a little more "what can I do" or "how do my actions affect other people" is far more useful than pointing fingers and moaning.

#justsaying

Sounds like the 947 Road race might be around the corner, cradle was quiet last time I was there. I'm sure things will go back to normal soon enough. As soon as everyone has done their panic training.

Edited by _David_

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Lately there have been some local issues (accidents etc) on multiuse paths (pedestrians and cyclists) over here. Most the chatter on Danish threads has been how to make it safer for everyone. A father and daughter team spent a few weekends painting dotted lines on roads/paths etc (with permission from the council). Local interest groups (hiking clubs/cycling clubs) had an open meeting and lobbied the local council to change some intersections where visibility was compromised etc. The group themselves did the work and paid for the materials (council just approved the ideas).

Now of course the 2 countries are worlds apart but a little more "what can I do" or "how do my actions affect other people" is far more useful than pointing fingers and moaning.

#justsaying

So yes agree however. I did not just complain and did go to cycle lab and tried to speak to them.

No Joy

And interestingly on Sunday morning at 715 driving my son to a cricket, saw a group (some very Young perhaps under 16-18) with older riders. 8 in toal taking up the road. as we were approaching robot i stopped next to them and said morning and explained i am also a rider that perhaps they must be a bit more careful riding next to each other. And for my troubles i got swore at.

And sadly I see more roadies having a *** attitude than not.

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

Yesterday was spent in the Lion and Rhino reserve putting some Mitsubishi's through some punishment on the offroad course. So I got to experience the Cradle from a motorist point of view.

I had already asked my colleagues to give themselves plenty time to get to the venue as their would be plenty cyclists on the road that may hold them up.

As a cyclist in a car, fully expecting people riding everywhere I took it slow, but man there are some guys that really just want to make it unpleasant for everyone else. I'm not going to highlight particular incidents, only to say that if I was just a motorist heading through there I can see why they get upset. There is a point where being courteous and patient needs to come from both sides.

But the most important thing that was brought to my attention is the circles, with cyclists approaching from all directions and heading in all directions, without any indication which way they are going makes for a dangerous situation. 

I agree with you. I ride there almost every weekend and coming from the Fourways side i am a bit wary of the roadworks so i park at one of the coffee shops or locations in the cradle to avoid the roadworks/choke points, but used to ride in from home down Cedar.  Normally on the bike by 6:30 am or 7 if its a Sunday (sleep in) so i am out there pretty early and often.

And it's simple. Its a sh*t show. I am amazed there aren't more dead people and road rage incidents.

THis Saturday the guy on the narrow roadworks section who took over the middle of the road intentionally on the Northern timber climb. Black kit, fancy bike at about 6:15 am. Rode uphill at 9 kmh with him and his mate talking to each other intentionally blocking the traffic including the taxis. Taxis who are not really that tolerant. Taxis who are also ferrying 16 to 20 people to work or are going to collect another load at Diepsloot. 

You sir are an entitled twat.

There are always so many more, lots of noobs who i am willing to forgive as well -  they are really starting out. But it is the guys in the know that P!SS me off. Like i am in a 2 ton bakkie and am about to get so freaking frustrated that i am willing to turn them in to bonnet ornaments. Imagine how the average person feels who doesn't ride a bicycle.

I can tell you - they actively hate you. I can't tell you how often i have been intentionally buzzed by motorists out there.

I then see the **** that happened on Bowling Avenue and people wonder how we got there. I can tell you. Go and drive around the cradle on a Saturday morning as a motorist.

Its really just a recipe for conflict and in normal Jhb/Saffer style the F$ck you option is the first response of everyone in the conflict  - not the "tolerate and accommodate, think of others etc"

So sad - doesn't have to be like this.

5 hours ago, Eldron said:

#justsaying

What can I do to stop the runners from invading the Cradle? 

14 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

What can I do to stop the runners from invading the Cradle? 

Thats big question. TBH its becoming very crowded and very much everyone makes up their own rules -  the new thing is now the running race organisers (one every weekend now) cordoning off their drinks tables and turn around stops with cones in the yellow lane? You ever seen what happens when you hit a cone on a bike?

Then next was runners now are trail running the wrong way up the MTB trail, because that's what you do. Seen plenty recently. There are even some indignant walkers who are now walking in the yellow lines two abreast or on the MTB trail - and when informed they told me"its public property" 

It will die down and I get that its public space but its why i won't ride the spruit any more as well. Everyone feels that its theirs and shared use doesn't seem to be on anyone's minds. 

And I think It's only a matter of time before somebody gets badly hurt in a high speed running/cycling accident, if it hasn't happened already. then we will hear all the voices crowing.....