Attakwas 2021

fanievb

Barring any potential government intervention I've entered for Atta this year (21 August 2021). The dryland team seems to have it waxed though.

I've always wanted to do it, but the clash with IM 70.3 in January (and the HEAT) usually put me off.

I think the August weather should be favourable. 

Any tips suggestions etc?

Bike choice? Hardtail (light xc) or Full suss (heavy "downcountry")

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual suss all the way. It is possible on a hard tail, but that attakwas kloof will make you long for the dual suss...

Ensure you have put in enough training (especially climbing), it really is a tough event. 

Save yourself for the last 60km. 

Nutrition is key, ensure you eat and drink enough during the race.

It is an awesome event.

37 minutes ago, copperhead said:

I would run hardtail. As said, save for the last 40. The first 30 are fast and fun. Full gass. Water points are like little all you can eat buffets. Hammer down all the way. 

Suspect you are more hardcore than most

Did 2 on HT and one on FS, cannot in a good mind recommend someone doing this on a HT unless you are a youngster and/or super fit.

The terrain takes its toll over the 120km distance if you are on a HT.

Agree 100% with the last 40 (50?). I think mentally one cannot help but feel the worst is over when you get to the Spur waterpoint after the Attakwaskloof and know its only gravel roads to the finish. But the gradients on many of those rollers are vicious, its as if the kloof softens you up and then those rollers deliver the final blow. 

Think the less heat and (likely) less wind will help a lot!

I've done a few Dryland events. I love their waterpoints 

Atta scares me, when the pros get of and walk you know it must be tough. 

Only reason for the HT would be weight. The full suss is not fun to run anything over 60km, unless the terrain is really ***.

I've done 36One on my trusty HT, usually a decent pair of bibs is all I need for comfort, but as @Skubarrasaid, you Mr @copperhead are a more hardcore than most. 

Proper tough event. FS without doubt. On the HT your lower back will be cased by the time you get to the grueling last 50 km. Big Dipper is a bastard. 

Dryland really know to feed a hungry cyclist and they really go out of their way to make you feel great! 

1 hour ago, babse said:

I'll gladly take the heat on this one...

The last event was turned ugly and costed many a drivertrain and/or suspension. 

Never doing a wet & muddy Atta again. Been there, done that, got the tshirt (and the bikeshop bill)

So is the probability higher or lower for a wet atta in august, compared to January?

my budget does not allow mtb races in the mud????

2 hours ago, W@nted said:

So is the probability higher or lower for a wet atta in august, compared to January?

Definitely much higher chance of wet conditions. Iv lived in George for 22 years and knowing the conditions this time of year never even thought of entering Atta. Il do it in Jan rather. 

Only people licking thier lips are the bike shops. I wrecked my drive train at last years event. 

Even in the best condition it remains an event even the pros are *** scared of.

I've done 3. 

Fastest time 6 hrs 30 slowest tome closer to 8 hours coming back from injury. 

All 3 done on a fully rigid SS.

No need for a full suss. It's not bad under foot and it's fast. 

6 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Never doing a wet & muddy Atta again. Been there, done that, got the tshirt (and the bikeshop bill)

Same

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I've done 3. 

Fastest time 6 hrs 30 slowest tome closer to 8 hours coming back from injury. 

All 3 done on a fully rigid SS.

No need for a full suss. It's not bad under foot and it's fast. 

Don’t listen to people like Jewie and copperhead - they do things for fun that break mortals. 
if you have a choice, this race is exactly why the rear suspension was added to a mountain bike

This advice from a top tenner who said never again 

I’d consider it on an ebike 

15 hours ago, W@nted said:

Average rainfall for the area varies between 30mm (Jan) and 41 (September) August comes in with 33 so basically no matter the month it’s a drivetrain lottery 

On 6/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, copperhead said:

If memory serves the terrain is not that bad. Did my last one about 5 years ago I think. Ran SS hardtail. Did just over 7. Be interesting see what the OP says about it when he is done.

Also did mine with HT SS and both flat tires .In Gauteng we ride the Magaliesberg on rims alone .Cannot remember the ambulance medic saying anything about my time thou ????

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow is the last day to transfer entries to 2022. Seems however that the august event is going ahead.