Attakwas 2021

fanievb

On 6/18/2021 at 8:36 PM, fanievb said:

I've done a few Dryland events. I love their waterpoints 

Atta scares me, when the pros get of and walk you know it must be tough. 

Only reason for the HT would be weight. The full suss is not fun to run anything over 60km, unless the terrain is really ***.

I've done 36One on my trusty HT, usually a decent pair of bibs is all I need for comfort, but as @Skubarrasaid, you Mr @copperhead are a more hardcore than most. 

If You've done 36One on a HT then you'll be just fine at Attakwas on a HT too. That last 40kms climbing you'll be happy with the HT decision.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so here at Pine Creek Caravan Park where the race finishes we are slowly getting everything in place for the event. I did speak to the organizers during the week and the race is definitely still on. All logistics, Covid rules and regulations etc are in place.

See you all in 2 weeks time ???? ????at Pine Creek.

Remember the last 2 spoor cement downhill into the park is a bit slippery with it being winter now with low sun heat, late sunrises and early sunsets.

With the Covid regulations we are making it safer for cyclists taking part in the Attakwas. 

Please see photo attached with the yellow line being the route you will come into the resort and the 2 red circles ???? are the 2 ablutions which will both be in operation and open for use.

Screenshot_20210812-161346_Gallery.jpg

43 minutes ago, BSG said:

With the Covid regulations we are making it safer for cyclists taking part in the Attakwas. 

Please see photo attached with the yellow line being the route you will come into the resort and the 2 red circles ???? are the 2 ablutions which will both be in operation and open for use.

Screenshot_20210812-161346_Gallery.jpg

great stuff.

Dankie.

ons het die laaste notice van dryland gekry met seeding en wegtrek inligting.

Hulle noem dat dit redelik nat is, dit gaan beslis my fiets keuse beïnvloed.

Sal jy omgee as ek jou later volgende week kontak om te bevestig?

1 hour ago, fanievb said:

great stuff.

Dankie.

ons het die laaste notice van dryland gekry met seeding en wegtrek inligting.

Hulle noem dat dit redelik nat is, dit gaan beslis my fiets keuse beïnvloed.

Sal jy omgee as ek jou later volgende week kontak om te bevestig?

Geen probleem nie. Ons het in die laaste werk hier al so seker 40mm reën gehad. Behoort morê middag op te klaar. 

In totaal vir die 3 weke nou so 66mm reën en sneeu gister weer op die berge gekry. So die berge gaan ook nat wees. Met nog reën vir Woensdag voorspel.

We have one Plettenberg home open for the Attakwas mtb cycling event. R900/night (minimum 2 nights) sleeps 6 people 3 bedrooms, 2x double beds, 1x bunker beds and 2 bathrooms. Right opposite the finish line.

Please phone the office on 0446202434 between 09h00-13h00 and 14h00-16h00 to avoid disappointment. 

4 minutes ago, BSG said:

28mm rain measured in Groot Brakrivier overnight.

the prediction says no rain until Saturday again, how wet (and muddy) do you reckon it is up in the mountain?

edit: assuming that it won't dry out quickly

Edited by fanievb

I'm sure this area & terrain doesn't need a lot of rain to be a mud fest

Based on last year (in January) where conditions were miff and that was with a day of rain prior and on race day. I think this is going to be a proper mud surf down to grootbrak

Hi All, 

I have two entries available.

Booked accommodation in Hartenbos and can only leave Cape Town at 16:30 due to work commitments. Cannot make the in-person registration in Oudtshoorn and be back in Hartenbos before curfew. Dryland is not willing to move the entries nor allow registration on Saturday morning despite the “we’re in this together communications”.

I took an executive decision last week with my finger poised over the "book now" click for accommodation to bale on this race before taking even one pedal stroke. It's a first and  an interesting experience - I might be getting old.

3 hours ago, fanievb said:

the prediction says no rain until Saturday again, how wet (and muddy) do you reckon it is up in the mountain?

edit: assuming that it won't dry out quickly

Holding thumbs for good weather and race conditions for you!

19 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I took an executive decision last week with my finger poised over the "book now" click for accommodation to bale on this race before taking even one pedal stroke. It's a first and  an interesting experience - I might be getting old.

MAMIL!

I see your sabbatical is over... more than a handful of comments in a week. Welcome back.

Better to bail now, make peace and move on than get there 55% sure you shouldn't be there, start and hate every second.

The internal 'I told you so' is a bitter pill