Attakwas 2021

fanievb

55 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

MAMIL!

I see your sabbatical is over... more than a handful of comments in a week. Welcome back.

Better to bail now, make peace and move on than get there 55% sure you shouldn't be there, start and hate every second.

The internal 'I told you so' is a bitter pill

Ha HA - thanks for the welcome Jewbacca - About the Atta - I just thought about the rush to get away from work early enought not to have arrival be dark and unpleasant, the pre dawn freezing cold lineup to spend R2,50 per pedal stroke on a new drivetrain in the mud followed by straight back to work on Monday and thought well that might be fun and I've had lots of adventures like that but ... nah --- I'll take Friday afternoon off, mooch around tygerberg or the mountain on Saturday and enjoy my weekend

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Ha HA - thanks for the welcome Jewbacca - About the Atta - I just thought about the rush to get away from work early enought not to have arrival be dark and unpleasant, the pre dawn freezing cold lineup to spend R2,50 per pedal stroke on a new drivetrain in the mud followed by straight back to work on Monday and thought well that might be fun and I've had lots of adventures like that but ... nah --- I'll take Friday afternoon off, mooch around tygerberg or the mountain on Saturday and enjoy my weekend

Sounds like the best plan. I think you chose wisely.

Atta is a silly thing to do for fun! ????

My brother is taking part (glad I'm staying home....). Any idea if there will be live tracking of any sort?

Cheers

In Groot Brakrivier at Pine Creek I measured 34mm thus far from yesterday when the rain started. Still overcast ☁️ but not raining. If the rain stops tonight the roads (I don't know what the condition in the mountains were/are like) will be nice without any dust.

yeah god luck this weekend, seems like its going to be cold, and muddy

Hope you okes have ordered new drivertrains already

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Haha I did some calcs…I will leave the mudfest riding for the pros…

Wrecking a new XX1 drivetrain will end up costing around R75 per km (just drivetrain, no suspension seals, pivot bearings or BB)…Too much for my wallet!

26 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I didn’t want to be THAT OKE,,,,so I held my 2cents, since you raised the issue

ordering and paying isn’t even the problem, it’s actually BEING ABLE TO REPLACE????????????

Edited by DIPSLICK

1 hour ago, DIPSLICK said:

I didn’t want to be THAT OKE,,,,so I held my 2cents, since you raised the issue

ordering and paying isn’t even the problem, it’s actually BEING ABLE TO REPLACE????????????

sorry I wasn't trying to put a damper on the conversation, just being a techy and thinking about the abuse the bikes will be taking. Old drivertrain parts may be the way to go or have replacement bits on order. It's sort of how I operate. Look at the weather, if foul then old parts go on, if fine then keep current set up. I rode Attakwas 2018 with a new 12speed eagle drivetrain. It probably took 2 years off the life of the cassette and a year off my chainring

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

sorry I wasn't trying to put a damper on the conversation, just being a techy and thinking about the abuse the bikes will be taking. Old drivertrain parts may be the way to go or have replacement bits on order. It's sort of how I operate. Look at the weather, if foul then old parts go on, if fine then keep current set up. I rode Attakwas 2018 with a new 12speed eagle drivetrain. It probably took 2 years off the life of the cassette and a year off my chainring

I think everyone was thinking it, no damper at all just unfortunately at this time it becomes a question of “how much is this going to hurt” normally that would mean blood sweat and tears it now simply means

Wear/damage, cost and availability ????????????

Good luck to all, it's going to be tough but thats what makes Attakwas great!

Edited by _David_
I can't spell for ****