Bike Rack options help needed

Lance Roberts

Hi peeps,

Hope someone can help.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new (2nd Hand) car, and need some advise on which bike rack will work with it. I've done some research and it seems the car can not get an aftermarket tow bar fitted (Not that I actually want to get the bumper cut), due to not having a support bar under the bumper, and also two silencer boxes being in the way.

The car is question is a Mercedes A45, with Edition 1 wing fitted.

IMG_454B9571DF85-1.jpeg.37e4442c8f4727b80ebf3bc578018eb1.jpeg

Would the best be a boot lid bike rack, or roof top bike rack?

I don't really like the root top option because I can't drive into my garage with the bike on the back, and it's also a bit of a mission to get the bike onto the roof. And I don't know if the boot will be able to open with the bike rack on the roof and the wing being mounted on the boot lid.

My issues with the boot mounted option are,

1. Whether it's going to fit under the wing, 

2. Will the straps damage the boot lid lip

3. Will I still be able to open the boot while the rack is on it

The two options I've found are,

(SSARIS.png.fd2693bafe081c6a735ccf027a5b6715.png

Sarris Bones EX 3 bike - Problem with this one is it doesn't lock onto the car, but it does look like it'll clear the boot lid lip.

970658763_BikeRack.png.a8c4115cbf7c6caa656fdefaf5cc1900.png

Thule Raceway 3 Bike - Problem is it might not clear the lip, but it does lock.

Does anyone out there in bike world have one of these cars with a bike rack? I'm only taking delivery of the car on Tuesday, so I wanted to get prepared for the day so that I'm not stuck with putting a dirty mountain bike in the boot and over the nice upholstery.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seasucker roof rack, or look at gooseneck towbar options - they are out there if you're insisting on no roof mount... 

10 minutes ago, Butterbean said:

Seasucker roof rack, or look at gooseneck towbar options - they are out there if you're insisting on no roof mount... 

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll struggle to get all the parts for Sea Suckers as I have a Lefty fork on my bike, and it looks like most of the suckers work on mounting the fork onto the roof without a wheel. Unless I completely don't get how that concept works...

As for the goose neck tow bar, that's the only option I would go for as it doesn't involve cutting the bumper. Unfortunately they'll have to weld a support bar onto the bottom of the car so that the tow bar can get mounted. And there might be space issues with the large silencer box being in the way.

I'll look at the suckers a bit more.

The reason AMG don't allow tow bars is because of increased differential temperatures caused by added load. Engines cope fine, its the drivetrain that suffers. A towbar fitted for a bike rack should be fine. Will void any warranty from Merc.

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

The reason AMG don't allow tow bars is because of increased differential temperatures caused by added load. Engines cope fine, its the drivetrain that suffers. A towbar fitted for a bike rack should be fine. Will void any warranty from Merc.

Appreciate the info, I thought it might have something to do with excess load on the diff, especially with it being 4matic. I won't be towing anything except a bike rack. So maybe I should look for a fitment centre that will offer it... Will phone around tomorrow a bit because I have a Thule tow bar mounted bike rack, so would be perfect if they could.

A detachable Goose Neck would be great! Nice a clean

2 minutes ago, Arrie said:

If its only 1 bike, can't you drop the backs seats and put the bike in the car? 

I will probably have to do that until I figure something else out.

I sometimes travel to bike parks with my daughter and wife, and their bikes, so it will become a bit of a pain in the back if I do it that way permanently. Other issue is is the Lefty Fork, it's not the easiest thing to remove the front wheel, and it also puts wear and tear on the brake mounting bolts if you're constantly undoing them.

6 minutes ago, Lance Roberts said:

Appreciate the info, I thought it might have something to do with excess load on the diff, especially with it being 4matic. I won't be towing anything except a bike rack. So maybe I should look for a fitment centre that will offer it... Will phone around tomorrow a bit because I have a Thule tow bar mounted bike rack, so would be perfect if they could.

A detachable Goose Neck would be great! Nice a clean

Might want to invest in exhaust defusers if you go that route. The heat from the exhaust will damage your wheels.

4 minutes ago, Arrie said:

If its only 1 bike, can't you drop the backs seats and put the bike in the car? 

This seems to be the only way, but a problem when dirty. Looked on the net but the unanimous opinion is that it doesn't work towbar wise. 

https://mbworld.org/forums/a45-a35-amg-w176-w176/702633-a45-tow-bar.html

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1632555

Maybe a small van would work. 

Just now, Barry said:

Might want to invest in exhaust defusers if you go that route. The heat from the exhaust will damage your wheels.

Was going to mention that. I had an ML500 which completely destroyed the plastic wheel holders on my bike rack.

3 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

This seems to be the only way, but a problem when dirty. Looked on the net but the unanimous opinion is that it doesn't work towbar wise. 

https://mbworld.org/forums/a45-a35-amg-w176-w176/702633-a45-tow-bar.html

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1632555

Maybe a small van would work. 

I also saw those posts, thanks. That's why I started looking at other options. I don't really want to mess around with the bumper, silencers or anything else back there. The warranty is very important, so I don't want to lose it.

1 minute ago, Lance Roberts said:

I also saw those posts, thanks. That's why I started looking at other options. I don't really want to mess around with the bumper, silencers or anything else back there. The warranty is very important, so I don't want to lose it.

Sorry mate you got a dilemma there...small van the only way. That merc is a beast though! 

My opinion, Thule roof rack (there should be a foot pack to fit your car) and wheel on bike racks. 

I've got option for all 3 - boot lid (Thule), Towbar (Holdfast [bikes hanging] and self made [resting on wheels]) and recently, the Thule roof mount bike racks. Easy enough to remove the bike racks and leave the roof rack on the roof. No hassles about taking wheels off. Bikes are locked on roof so no stress of them being stolen.

A lot less stress and it works. Go check out Thule's website and see what they have to offer.

4 minutes ago, Tiny K said:

My opinion, Thule roof rack (there should be a foot pack to fit your car) and wheel on bike racks. 

I've got option for all 3 - boot lid (Thule), Towbar (Holdfast [bikes hanging] and self made [resting on wheels]) and recently, the Thule roof mount bike racks. Easy enough to remove the bike racks and leave the roof rack on the roof. No hassles about taking wheels off. Bikes are locked on roof so no stress of them being stolen.

A lot less stress and it works. Go check out Thule's website and see what they have to offer.

Thanks, I'll keep those options in mind.

The saris or Thule should fit under the lip no problem. Shouldn't damage the paint, but I would put duct tape on in case. Take the car to a Thule fitment shop to check. It's free. 

Tow bar obviously superior, but if it didn't work on your car, the rear mounted racks are fine. 

1 minute ago, Tomik said:

The saris or Thule should fit under the lip no problem. Shouldn't damage the paint, but I would put duct tape on in case. Take the car to a Thule fitment shop to check. It's free. 

Tow bar obviously superior, but if it didn't work on your car, the rear mounted racks are fine. 

First place I'll be going after the car gets delivered is the Thule fitment center, for sure.