Bike Rack options help needed

Lance Roberts

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1108210833_ScreenShot2021-06-20at21_19_29.png.f963606a01e20f3180822666a4facf26.png

* "Advice", as  my 9 year old niece would advise.

400838407_ScreenShot2021-06-20at21_23_51.png.bc3351a054fcf6004b282936333a9469.png

A "Lefty Fork" eh? With capitals eh? And "it's not the easiest thing to remove the front wheel, and it also puts wear and tear on the brake mounting bolts if you're constantly undoing them".  Say what?

1406569338_ScreenShot2021-06-20at21_25_47.png.0e82195411f197c14ffd617f7096b4cd.png

Ah, so sad that your ML 500 completely destroyed the plastic wheel holders on your bike rack. It took a whole ML 500 to do that eh? 

Oh supremely pretentious one, thanks for the laughs.

laughter.gif

Edited by justinafrika
accuracy

8 hours ago, justinafrika said:

A "Lefty Fork" eh? With capitals eh? And "it's not the easiest thing to remove the front wheel, and it also puts wear and tear on the brake mounting bolts if you're constantly undoing them".  Say what?

Ah, so sad that your ML 500 completely destroyed the plastic wheel holders on your bike rack. It took a whole ML 500 to do that eh? 

laughter.gif

No need to get nasty, the OP has been nothing but polite and simply asked for advice.

Lance, going with a roof rack will likely be the only viable option.

Justin, what if I told you I’d love an S5 but I’d have the same problem? Could I please also get the pretentious label assigned, pretty please?

41 minutes ago, WrightJnr said:

He who has great desire for boy racer car must accept that bicycle is never going to work well. 
Been there, done that. Now own bike friendly vehicle. 

Good luck!!

Having sold my previous car to buy a bike friendly car I get what you are saying .... ????

Back to the OP's question....

Towbar = no warranty ... not a realistic option.

Hatch mounted rack .... LOTS of these at the local trails, many in the same boat as you. Yes, the straps and hooks will make small marks .... bigger danger, loading three bikes is a lot of weight !!! Very real chance of small dents ....

Roof rack = probably your best choice. Loading is easier than you may think.  Getting car out of the garage, then loading the bikes is a minor shlep .... attach the garage remote to the Thule keys, put it in the glove box when the bikes are on the roof ... helps to avoid the obvious danger.

No, you wont be removing the bike racks from the roof regularly .... can you live with this look ?

The warranty should only apply to Mercedes-Benz motor plan. If the car is second-hand and off the plan then a qualified fitment center should be able to fit a goose neck towbar even with all the obstructions exhaust etc. But the towbar would be bike rack specific to avoid transmission damage.

That must  be one of the least practical cars for a cyclist, but I'm all for it! I can hear the braaaap, crackle and whoosh noises already. 

While you are making life a little harder by following your heart and not buying something boring, quiet, white and boxy, add some more pizzazz by putting Thules on the roof. Aerowing is alles. Move the rack a bit forward so that the ironing board on the back clears the rack, preferably clears it with the bike on. 

If you put  a strap on on the back, you'll look like someone who bought a car without thinking about bikes, and while that might be the case, it must never look like that is the case.

What vehicle does your wife have? Put a tow bar on that for when you go to the park. 

Edited by PhilipV

6 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

That must  be one of the least practical cars for a cyclist, but I'm all for it! I can hear the braaaap, crackle and whoosh noises already. 

While you are making life a little harder by following your heart and not buying something boring, quiet, white and boxy, add some more pizzazz by putting Thules on the roof. Aerowing is alles. Move the rack a bit forward so that the ironing board on the back clears the rack, preferably clears it with the bike on. 

If you put  a strap on on the back, you'll look like someone who bought a car without thinking about bikes, and while that might be the case, it must never look like that is the case.

What vehicle does your wife have? Put a tow bar on that for when you go to the park. 

With a few ECU mods the wife's car can also have braaaap, crackle and whoosh noises. 

10 hours ago, justinafrika said:

laughter.gif

You forget to have your morning coffee or something?

Op, I have used 4 different bike racks over the years.

Towbar mounted racks for the win.

Positives are its easy to load the bike. You can lock the bike if you locks. Rack locks to towbar. 

Negatives - for some cars towbars are expensive. You lengthen you car and reduce rear window visibility. Someone could rear end you totaling the bikes.

Second choice would be roofracks

Positives are - you do not have to scout for a towbar! Bikes lock on etc

Negatives - My friend struggled with this yesterday. You have to lift the bike over you head to fit. You cant drive into low overhead structures. 

Have not used the sucker up type racks so no comment. I have used suction cup fishing road holders. They have come loose from time to time. 

The strap on racks I would stay far away from. You hit a pot hole and the entire rack shifts. Friends of mine had bikes come off this saris ones.

Negatives - 

Edited by Eddy Gordo

5 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

No need to get nasty, the OP has been nothing but polite and simply asked for advice.

Lance, going with a roof rack will likely be the only viable option.

Justin, what if I told you I’d love an S5 but I’d have the same problem? Could I please also get the pretentious label assigned, pretty please?

You're right. I was being a sarky git, I should know better as I can't even get any kinda rack on one of my cars. Apology, Lance.

Talking about impractical cars, if this dude can get his bike on his Porsche, I'm sure we can find a solution for you... :D