Bike Rack options help needed

Lance Roberts

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to read the thread 3 times to try and see where Justin got provoked, I do see that he has apologised. We all suffer from a bit of forumilitis from time to time..

as for the car, I would go with Phil, and go the full aerowing thule bars… you only have to drive the bike off the top of the roof once, to never forget about them again…trust me.

5 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

I had to read the thread 3 times to try and see where Justin got provoked, I do see that he has apologised. We all suffer from a bit of forumilitis from time to time..

as for the car, I would go with Phil, and go the full aerowing thule bars… you only have to drive the bike off the top of the roof once, to never forget about them again…trust me.

Keep the garage door remote in the boot when transporting your bikes.

12 minutes ago, Barry said:

My garage door remote lives in the house when it doesnt ride the passenger seat…it’s costly and has a mouth to feed. Joke.

I do think having manual garage doors removes that potential accident scenario

I removed the missus’s bike in a very public parkade. Lots of witnesses around. Lots of pointing and laughing.

8 hours ago, Adr!@n said:

Talking about impractical cars, if this dude can get his bike on his Porsche, I'm sure we can find a solution for you... :D 

Thanks mate, that would be a great solution if the winged latin howler could take the 29 front wheel like that GT3 can. Just tried it. Guess I'll be hauling bike with the shiny ol' 80's E30  while visiting the kids next week and on biking adventures.

Edited by justinafrika

Quick update on this post.

The A45 arrived and I came to the conclusion that the only option is a roof rack. There is no possibility for a tow bar, and the boot hanger versions won't work either because the area where the mounting hooks go onto the car is all plastic, so not strong enough.

So I got a Thule Wingbar Edge system with a Pro ride mount.

Now I just need to make sure I don't go under any low trees or anything that'll rip my bike right off....

Thanks for all the advise guys!

IMG_2132.JPG.fe6adb94d7a1e547e195e8677095fe01.JPG

Edited by Lance Roberts

On 6/21/2021 at 1:13 PM, justinafrika said:

You're right. I was being a sarky git, I should know better as I can't even get any kinda rack on one of my cars. Apology, Lance.

Hey bud, we all have our crap days. Only just noticed your comments anyway (For some reason the system stopped notifying me of replies to the thread). Luckily I don't care what anyone thinks of how I make spelling miskates (Especially English as I'm Afrikaans).

Maybe just take a deep breath before insulting/criticising someone without knowing that person first.

Take it easy

Edited by Lance Roberts

On 6/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, Barry said:

Luckily it's a manual garage door, so I should notice something on the roof before reversing in ????

Sorry if I missed anyones comments, I thought everyone stopped replying when I stopped receiving notifications.

Thanks again for the help.

37 minutes ago, Lance Roberts said:

Hey bud, we all have our crap days. Only just noticed your comments anyway (For some reason the system stopped notifying me of replies to the thread). Luckily don't I care what anyone thinks of how I make spelling miskates (Especially English as I'm Afrikaans).

Maybe just take a deep breath before insulting/criticising someone without knowing that person first.

Take it easy

I'm mostly a colloquial boer bruh. My original comment was reading between the lines what wasn't even there and I will not use that tasty half-a-quart of whisky as an excuse either. Respect for being unaffected by my doowaas moment. Thanks for being a mensch, and congrats on your styling A45.

Edited by justinafrika

13 hours ago, Lance Roberts said:

Quick update on this post.

The A45 arrived and I came to the conclusion that the only option is a roof rack. There is no possibility for a tow bar, and the boot hanger versions won't work either because the area where the mounting hooks go onto the car is all plastic, so not strong enough.

So I got a Thule Wingbar Edge system with a Pro ride mount.

Now I just need to make sure I don't go under any low trees or anything that'll rip my bike right off....

Thanks for all the advise guys!

IMG_2132.JPG.fe6adb94d7a1e547e195e8677095fe01.JPG

Congrats on the new car, looking good!  ???? Glad you found a solution for the bike rack.

On  your comment about remembering the bike is up there and not going under anything low - Friends of mine hang something from either the rear view mirror or the steering wheel when they put their bike on the roof, might look a bit crap or be irritating (well to me at least but guess that's the point) but should hopefully remind you of the precious cargo on the roof

I'm going to get some little red flags made to hang off your rearview mirror, will post here when I've got them done.

Also recently got a Proride and the paranoia is strong, even though I have a manual garage door and almost never go near a parking garage. I've tried towbar racks and roof racks and the roof rack wins for me. Mainly cos my car is long and I can't get it in the garage with the rack on. Taking bikes off the roof is way easier than bikes and a rack off the towbar.

Stick a photo of your bike on the roof rack on your windscreen in your line of sight when the bike is loaded on it.