Bike Rack options help needed

Lance Roberts

That A45 looks the business with that bike on it. 

I tried out the roof rack mount once and didn't enjoy it, think I'll just put my bike on it one more time and drive around the neighbourhood to build confidence ???? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Lance Roberts said:

Quick update on this post.

The A45 arrived and I came to the conclusion that the only option is a roof rack. There is no possibility for a tow bar, and the boot hanger versions won't work either because the area where the mounting hooks go onto the car is all plastic, so not strong enough.

So I got a Thule Wingbar Edge system with a Pro ride mount.

Now I just need to make sure I don't go under any low trees or anything that'll rip my bike right off....

Thanks for all the advise guys!

IMG_2132.JPG.fe6adb94d7a1e547e195e8677095fe01.JPG

Your bike called. It says it wants to go for a ride. In Cape Town. And it heard that Durban is beautiful this time of the year. 

I used to keep the cover for the panoramic roof open when i had the bike(s) ontop. Since it was never open during any other time this was a good reminder, also helped my paranoia on being able to check on the bikes whilst driving.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:33 PM, Lance Roberts said:

Quick update on this post.

The A45 arrived and I came to the conclusion that the only option is a roof rack. There is no possibility for a tow bar, and the boot hanger versions won't work either because the area where the mounting hooks go onto the car is all plastic, so not strong enough.

So I got a Thule Wingbar Edge system with a Pro ride mount.

Now I just need to make sure I don't go under any low trees or anything that'll rip my bike right off....

Thanks for all the advise guys!

IMG_2132.JPG.fe6adb94d7a1e547e195e8677095fe01.JPG

That looks awesome. I really like a hot hatch with roof racks for some reason.

5 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Rather by a bike compatible car/bakkie/airplane!?

Why? Most people spend a lot more time driving their cars than riding their bikes, so why compromise on the car just to carry a bike?

I can guarantee you that A45 will be a boatload more fun than most other vehicles that would easily transport a bike.

8 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Rather by a bike compatible car/bakkie/airplane!?

That’s what I did. I spend more time on my bike than in my car. 

A car is a utensil that depreciates. Point A to point B. 

However, cars are awesome so buy what you want it it makes you happy.  

If you folks love ur bike so much, won't forget it's on the roof ????

I have roofrack and towbar rack, never ever slipped my mind that it's on the roof as I'm too paranoid that I didn't secure it properly and that's after 3 rechecks lol

12 hours ago, MajG said:

If you folks love ur bike so much, won't forget it's on the roof ????

I have roofrack and towbar rack, never ever slipped my mind that it's on the roof as I'm too paranoid that I didn't secure it properly and that's after 3 rechecks lol

the trick is, once you've strapped/clamped it, you have to say "thats not going anywhere" :)

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

the trick is, once you've strapped/clamped it, you have to say "thats not going anywhere" :)

But that magic spell only works if you are a dad 

Edited by gerriemtb

On 6/24/2021 at 2:04 PM, droo said:

I'm going to get some little red flags made to hang off your rearview mirror, will post here when I've got them done...................

On the Defender I had an old fishing rod that I cable tied to the bull bar to exactly the height of the bikes whenever we took them into the bundu. It became second nature soon enough and I never swiped a bike off the roof.

What I did though, was to get 12 punctures on one side of a bike wheel where it stuck out on the side of the Defender (while on the rear bike rack) and we squeezed through some thorn trees on a narrow bit of farm road. 

Edited by DJR

5 hours ago, ouzo said:

I tell myself that all the time,  like today 500m from my house I stopped just to quadruple check ????????????