Lanseria dangerous metal spike/rod in trail

mattryanfry

Signs are not effective. Case in point is Bloemendal bike park here in Tygerberg MTB network. Despite big signs all over the blerrie show warning folks not to go up a trail the wrong way, people still insist on walking or riding up one of the most high consequence lines - not in terms of tech, but speed. When I come down there I'm normally going full taps before hitting the jump line, and on many occasions I have nearly taken out a kid or worse, a parent and their kid just toddling along not giving any *ucks.

Now I simply avoid riding there. Its a win-win. Kids stay out of hospital and I remain calm and generally untriggered.

As for thinking accessing a farm in this day and age with all the shenanigans on the farms, don't be surprised when you hear the very distinct crack of lead in very close proximity. Just saying. 5.56mm tends to travel far. Not all landowners are accommodating in this regard. I know this as I come from a farm. Unless you have very explicit permission to be there, stay off the land. It's really not that hard.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

............... Unless you have very explicit permission to be there, stay off the land. It's really not that hard.

I find that mostly farmers will be very happy to talk to you, especially in the remoter parts of the world, if you respectfully drive up to the farmhouse, knock on the door and ask nicely if you may ride up that little track you noticed going up the mountain behind the house. Ninety % of the time they will take 20 minutes of your time talking about this and that and letting you know that they think you are nuts to even think of riding a bike, let alone on THAT little track where the bulldozer nearly came to grief last winter...........but give it a go anyway boet..........don't be surprised if you get offered a cold drink when you finish your ride and go to say thank you and show him the picture you took from the top.

Gosh, there really is a land issue at heart here... wait till land grabs start happening, the farmers already will have the upper hand with all the traps! ???????????? they should be thanking the cyclist for training them up and been sharp. ????????????

On 6/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, ouzo said:

I'm hating on all motorbikes, purely because the stereotypical boksburger has the loudest pipe possible on whatever bike he has and takes great joy in revving the pistons off of it at every chance he gets.

Lol  you need to move out of Boksburg

1 hour ago, DJR said:

I find that mostly farmers will be very happy to talk to you, especially in the remoter parts of the world, if you respectfully drive up to the farmhouse, knock on the door and ask nicely if you may ride up that little track you noticed going up the mountain behind the house. Ninety % of the time they will take 20 minutes of your time talking about this and that and letting you know that they think you are nuts to even think of riding a bike, let alone on THAT little track where the bulldozer nearly came to grief last winter...........but give it a go anyway boet..........don't be surprised if you get offered a cold drink when you finish your ride and go to say thank you and show him the picture you took from the top.

But don't chat up his wife or daughters - And trust me, they or most are very chattable in these remote areas ????

16 hours ago, DJR said:

You're right, this is exactly how they treat people. With general respect and always willing to be hospitable. But this is if they are approached and asked if accessing their land meets their approval. My Pa is the same in this regard. He farms in the Kammanassie.
My mum will make coffee and whip out the rusks for a kuier.

But do not intrude on the land uninvited and proceed to tear up the veld with a motorcycle and then say "well since there are no proper fences and signs..." That will not endear yourself to the farmer. And if there are ostriches around the farmer will definitely not want a motorcycle anywhere near them, as they tend to run into fences when a motorcycle comes screaming past.

I honestly don't understand the confusion. Unless you own the land or have specific permission from the land owner, an activity card, paid a membership or paid for access you are trespassing. Especailly on a dirtbike. You can't just pull your bike off the bakkie and ride where you want. This isn't crust demons of dirt.

The primary reason I no longer have a dirtbike is because of the lack of available places to ride the things.

• 1 month later...

Just a friendly warning to all mtb riders in the lanseria area. This morning I got both my front and rear wheel slashed at “mary-annes” descent. a Home made metal rod was planted in the sand on a single track. There was also a trial running event there this morning and luckily no trail runner stepped in this rod(that I know of). This will be the last time that I ride mary-annes descent. 

FFCD3FFF-861E-42C2-8FA7-7A1A92F0AEA6.jpeg

9EA1EC93-7B41-4A4B-A57F-3EB21E2519CD.jpeg

DFCF1EE1-A687-4ABD-9EB9-C8F0754E9F98.png

Edited by PeterR
Add picture of location