Lanseria dangerous metal spike/rod in trail

mattryanfry

Beware riding behind Lanseria on the former "beat the brewer" ride. We rode over a spike buried in the trail. 3 out of 4 tyres punctured. Apparently it is the farmer putting spikes out for the motorbikes. Some motorbikes got spiked as well before we could dig it up.

A pity, it has been my favourite route for years.

Exact co-ordinates: -25.934837975964175, 27.94526852911491

spike.jpeg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question. There have never been any in the past and there were none on the route we took BUT the motorbikers said there were signs put up elsewhere in the area. It is just open land, so you would need lots of signs to cover all the access points.

12 minutes ago, mattryanfry said:

Fair question. There have never been any in the past and there were none on the route we took BUT the motorbikers said there were signs put up elsewhere in the area. It is just open land, so you would need lots of signs to cover all the access points.

I doubt anyone would go the the trouble of making those and placing them if they werent trying to keep people off their land.

1 hour ago, mattryanfry said:

Beware riding behind Lanseria on the former "beat the brewer" ride. We rode over a spike buried in the trail. 3 out of 4 tyres punctured. Apparently it is the farmer putting spikes out for the motorbikes. Some motorbikes got spiked as well before we could dig it up.

spike.jpeg

After seeing a load of scramblers yesterday afternoon messing up the trail where I live I can understand the farmers point of view..These off roader muppets are now everywhere around here on weekends...They just annoy everyone and do FA else......

On the plus side it seems that the fatty quadders have been reduced in numbers since COVID....
Unfortunately a over used right hand and aggressive tyres just destroy the route...They dont care though...they think they are bad asses????

Ive also seen wire stretched across the path at chest level as well. For bikers or cyclists or pedestrians.... who knows....
Eyes open all the time these days....

Edited by Mojoman

I must admit that the weekend scrambler crew are a real pain in the ass. I have to endure these guys each weekend and they truly are a menace to society. I live across the road from a very large expanse behind which lies just wild Port Jackson forests and sand dunes leading to Melkbos. Scrambler heaven. Ear hell every time a scrambler comes braaping past. I can appreciate what the landowners are trying to do to get these selfish people off their land, but I'm sure there are less dangerous ways of going about it because the first time someone gets badly hurt because of the obstacles and deterrents put in place I'd hate to be that landowner. Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, you cannot simply put obstacles out there that have the potential of serious injury or worse...

2 hours ago, mattryanfry said:

spike.jpeg

Pretty pointless for enduro motorbikes, for a good decade now most enduro/off road riders are running Mousses which are solid tubes and won't even flinch at that.

32 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I must admit that the weekend scrambler crew are a real pain in the ass. I have to endure these guys each weekend and they truly are a menace to society. I live across the road from a very large expanse behind which lies just wild Port Jackson forests and sand dunes leading to Melkbos. Scrambler heaven. Ear hell every time a scrambler comes braaping past. I can appreciate what the landowners are trying to do to get these selfish people off their land, but I'm sure there are less dangerous ways of going about it because the first time someone gets badly hurt because of the obstacles and deterrents put in place I'd hate to be that landowner. Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, you cannot simply put obstacles out there that have the potential of serious injury or worse...

Sadly it is usually the newbies/real weekend warriors. Usually the better riders and racers are at proper riding facilities. Sad that a few ruin it and give bad name for others.

43 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

After seeing a load of scramblers yesterday afternoon messing up the trail where I live I can understand the farmers point of view..These off roader muppets are now everywhere around here on weekends...They just annoy everyone and do FA else......

On the plus side it seems that the fatty quadders have been reduced in numbers since COVID....
Unfortunately a over used right hand and aggressive tyres just destroy the route...They dont care though...they think they are bad asses????

Ive also seen wire stretched across the path at chest level as well. For bikers or cyclists or pedestrians.... who knows....
Eyes open all the time these days....

Ah interesting, so there are mx bikes tearing things up and making a ton of noise.

I would probably want to put spikes in if I owned the land too.

12 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Although I agree that scramblers are a menace, in a similar vein, I am sure other sectors of society consider cyclists 'selfish menaces' too. 

• The MTB who ignores the 'No Bicycles' sign in sections of Emmarentia dam ( Yes, I am guilty of this too) 
  • The MTB who ignores the 'Private Road' signs in Northern Farms
  • The Roadies that ride 2/3 abreast blocking traffic
  • The Mountain Biker who drops a gel packet on private farm land that chokes a cow

I believe that the we all need to respect one another, this includes MTBers , Farmers/Private Land owners, Joggers, Dog Walkers, Cars, and Table Mountain Park Ranges.

I am not saying it right to put Spikes in the path, just saying that if the Scamblers/MTBers adhered to the NO Entry/Private Land/ No Motorbikes/ No Bicycles/ No Trespassing signs, there would be no need for the spikes.

3 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Damn, I always thought I was a drol for hating on mx guys. 

I'm hating on all motorbikes, purely because the stereotypical boksburger has the loudest pipe possible on whatever bike he has and takes great joy in revving the pistons off of it at every chance he gets.

Been seeing moto tracks on the cradle loop as well. 

Now when I started riding moto, I too looked for every oppertunity to discover fun little tracks all over the show. However, without realising it, obviously it's some-ones land. 

Please educate me on the right of access to private land. Is it a requirement to have private land fenced off? 

58 minutes ago, AdamA said:

I am not saying it right to put Spikes in the path, just saying that if the Scamblers/MTBers adhered to the NO Entry/Private Land/ No Motorbikes/ No Bicycles/ No Trespassing signs, there would be no need for the spikes.

Being the son of a farmer, I can attest to the fact that there is nothing that pisses a landowner off more than unauthorised people transgressing their land. Now, when those transgressors come tearing up the farm and make a racket as well, blood starts pumping faster and the red mist descends rather quickly.

So ja, the gist of it is to STAY OFF the land you are not permitted to access. And yes, this also applies to mountain bikers.

6 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Damn, I always thought I was a drol for hating on mx guys. 

Na, you're not alone. I enjoy riding them, but sheez they are noisy when someone else is riding them (on the farm). And unfortunately each weekend I get blasted by okes jaaging past my house trying to see who can ride the fastest on sand...

Here in the Northern / Western parts of Cape Town there is ample place for them to ride far away from homes, but I suppose there is some macabre sense of fun to be had chasing around homes on a Saturday and Sunday morning and again early evening.

7 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Been seeing moto tracks on the cradle loop as well. 

Now when I started riding moto, I too looked for every oppertunity to discover fun little tracks all over the show. However, without realising it, obviously it's some-ones land. 

Please educate me on the right of access to private land. Is it a requirement to have private land fenced off? 

I think if its not fenced off you cant really enforce any kind of control as there are no visible boundaries?
Then again fences and gates are also 'walking' off these days as well....

These tappets tend to spin it up crazy style around corners on the trail and it causes massive damage..
Then the rains come and before you can say WTF, its gully avenue everywhere...

I know guys ride from Kdump to Randfontein to Magalies and back towards Kdump via the Cradle area again. 
Some have support groups that follow in the cars and then these guys braai and party wherever...
And in true SA fashion they generally leave broken bottles, tins and plastic everywhere...