Lanseria dangerous metal spike/rod in trail

mattryanfry

Talking of bikes on private land; I did see two MX bikes at Big Red Barn this past weekend near the trails. I suspect they were not allowed there - if I had taken more of route 1 I would have been on the same single track as them I think. They were about 40m from me. 

Does BRB allow this sort of thing? 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, unless you are paying for access or riding on the pavement, you are probably trespassing. It frustrates me how we seem to think just because there is no fence it is public land.

I used to ride enduro a lot, most of the top riders and experienced riders will stick to proper riding spots like heidelberg, WW, de wildt, etc and not be near cradle which to be honest is boringAF on an mx bike...

I know there were a few guys who rode trials bikes at big red barn, but that was all above board and very different riding and minimal noise/damage. But those bikes are very distinct.

13 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I know there were a few guys who rode trials bikes at big red barn, but that was all above board and very different riding and minimal noise/damage. But those bikes are very distinct.

Come to think of it, yes, they were trials bikes. They were also not being very loud or making much of a nuance. I just wondered if they were allowed there. 

Ah man, it's unfortunate to see people decide to use drastic measure like that. But it's just as frustrating to see the kind of damage these guys do with big bikes.

In Witfontein, George there have been multiple incidents of guys riding right up Cradock Pass over the mountain and it gets absolutely destroyed when a motorbike goes up there. We saw a group head up one day and tried to talk to the, they were super aggressive and had zero regard. Next time we were there, one of the guys rode down into a valley and fell into a river with his bike. I wasn't going to give the guy a hard time for riding there, I thought being stuck down there is punishment enough :D 

It's simple... If you own land and want to enforce non trespassing, spend the money, fence it in and put up decent and enough signage. If I get hurt riding my enduro bike or mountain bike not knowing I'm on private land

I'll stick that spike up the farmers @ss 

2 hours ago, RJClegg said:

Talking of bikes on private land; I did see two MX bikes at Big Red Barn this past weekend near the trails. I suspect they were not allowed there - if I had taken more of route 1 I would have been on the same single track as them I think. They were about 40m from me. 

Does BRB allow this sort of thing? 

Red Barn only allow the special trials bikes ( no seats) to ride, but  not mx bikes. I used to ride there.

Edited by RomP

17 hours ago, RomP said:

It's simple... If you own land and want to enforce non trespassing, spend the money, fence it in and put up decent and enough signage. If I get hurt riding my enduro bike or mountain bike not knowing I'm on private land

So if you leave your gate open I can walk in and play cricket on your lawn because you don't have it totally fenced off or have a sign up?

Come now areas like Schurweberg- they stealing reinforcing out of the concrete from the old shooting range. Fences don't last a week and you expect the farmer to fork out and maintain perfect fences. Have you seen the shortage of fencing materials at the moment? The local Co-op hasn't had Y standards or droppers for weeks. 

This is SA, there is not a lot of public open land and most of it is national park anyway. Even de wildt is trespassing. So unless you are on a marked private riding facility or have a letter from the land owner allowing you to ride, just assume you are trespassing.

18 hours ago, RomP said:

Yes, because all land-owners are swimming in cash (This assumption kinda sounds familiar - I wont elaborate due to new bikehub rules), and they can afford to pay for a couple of kms of fencing.....

18 hours ago, RomP said:

Quite the hero...

58 minutes ago, dave303e said:

So if you leave your gate open I can walk in and play cricket on your lawn because you don't have it totally fenced off or have a sign up?

Come now areas like Schurweberg- they stealing reinforcing out of the concrete from the old shooting range. Fences don't last a week and you expect the farmer to fork out and maintain perfect fences. Have you seen the shortage of fencing materials at the moment? The local Co-op hasn't had Y standards or droppers for weeks. 

This is SA, there is not a lot of public open land and most of it is national park anyway. Even de wildt is trespassing. So unless you are on a marked private riding facility or have a letter from the land owner allowing you to ride, just assume you are trespassing.

Indeed. Nowadays most if not all the open properties are owned. So chances that someone is trespassing is extremely likely.

Im not sure if it’s been covered but what law/rule/transgression precedes unknowingly trespassing? These days and in this country, hurting someone who is literally trying to kill you could get you in jail. If someone was to get seriously hurt on sonething like this, and decided to go to town, i wonder what the outcome could be? Serious question.
Could it be proven that the person placing those there intended grievous bodily harm? like what is the rule sbout having a murdurous dog in your yard and it ens up mauling a trespasser to death? Us the only requirement a warning that said dog is present?

Edited by MORNE

47 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Im not sure if it’s been covered but what law/rule/transgression precedes unknowingly trespassing? These days and in this country, hurting someone who is literally trying to kill you could get you in jail. If someone was to get seriously hurt on sonething like this, and decided to go to town, i wonder what the outcome could be? Serious question.
Could it be proven that the person placing those there intended grievous bodily harm? like what is the rule sbout having a murdurous dog in your yard and it ens up mauling a trespasser to death? Us the only requirement a warning that said dog is present?

I think the problem here would just be proving who actually placed those spikes....And in SA it could very well be a criminal looking for an opportunity with the MTB/MX crowd...Landowner just has to say it wasnt him and who is to say otherwise?

I think the issue here is that those path have being in use for the last 5 years that I know of , and while the land owner  or new land owner is fully entitled to change change their mind about allowing traffic , the spike may well be an over zealous way of getting the message across. one would also think a sign is easier to make than a spike. 

3 minutes ago, Milosh said:

I think the issue here is that those path have being in use for the last 5 years that I know of , and while the land owner  or new land owner is fully entitled to change change their mind about allowing traffic , the spike may well be an over zealous way of getting the message across. one would also think a sign is easier to make than a spike. 

Totally agree, but as we know...there are many MTB/MX riders that appear to be somewhat illiterate...