Advice on sourcing some parts - 70/80's Raleigh Carlton

achmadj

Good day

I have been trying to source some parts and finishing touches for my 70's/80's Raleigh Carlton, 531 Tubing, which I've owned for about 20 years, and was owned before that by a my late uncle who had it serviced regularly by Crown cycles here in the southern Cape...

Life happened, Bike unfortunately stood by my kids garage for few years uncovered and i needed to curb any surface rust that started ... so sanded it down and painted it... will give it a proper finish again with warmer weather...

So while I'm busy restoring some parts, 328480571_RaleighCarlton.jpg.a3f5ffee412d26fcd5c77d0a5a660f7e.jpg

1. I'm looking for the Original style Carlton Decals - does anyone know who has them available locally or can source them for me?  (i've tried importing a few years back - but had issues with a UK supplier that said they don't send these to South Africa.  Another sent never arrived ... hence the help needed
  2. I'm also looking for 27x1.25 white wall Tyres, the original style that was available in that era
  3. Suggestions for Best color handle bar tape? - thinking a brown to match the seat?

Any leads or advice will be much appreciated 

Raleigh Carlton painted.jpg

32 minutes ago, achmadj said:

Good day

I have been trying to source some parts and finishing touches for my 70's/80's Raleigh Carlton, 531 Tubing, which I've owned for about 20 years, and was owned before that by a my late uncle who had it serviced regularly by Crown cycles here in the southern Cape...

Life happened, Bike unfortunately stood by my kids garage for few years uncovered and i needed to curb any surface rust that started ... so sanded it down and painted it... will give it a proper finish again with warmer weather...

So while I'm busy restoring some parts, 328480571_RaleighCarlton.jpg.a3f5ffee412d26fcd5c77d0a5a660f7e.jpg

1. I'm looking for the Original style Carlton Decals - does anyone know who has them available locally or can source them for me?  (i've tried importing a few years back - but had issues with a UK supplier that said they don't send these to South Africa.  Another sent never arrived ... hence the help needed
  2. I'm also looking for 27x1.25 white wall Tyres, the original style that was available in that era
  3. Suggestions for Best color handle bar tape? - thinking a brown to match the seat?

Any leads or advice will be much appreciated 

Raleigh Carlton painted.jpg

You could probably get the decals made locally. There are numerous threads on the hub that cover this topic. Just do a search.

I have used Bike Armour in the past and have been very happy with the outcome.

Try www.bicyclestickers.co.uk, I've had very good service from them ???? Lovely old Carlton btw, well done on giving it some new life.

Regarding the bar tape... that saddle is a little darker than tan, maybe try www.everydaycyclesupplyco.com (here in CT) and check out their range of bar tape to match the darker leather.

Good luck with the rest of the resto, be sure to drop us some photos once done ????

Thanks guys, will check out all the options above definitely helps... 

@BuffsVintageBikes.  was chatting to my colleague Johan who bought ur white Peugot rapport ... watched ur restoration videos ... so that inspired me to get it going again... and now I’m sitting with a Hansom build as well ????

Hahaha... that's wonderful to hear ???? It certainly becomes a very addictive hobby very quickly. Enjoy and shout if you need any assistance. Looking forward to meeting you on one of our Vintage bike rides sometime in the future ????

I threw away some Carlton decals just the other day. My first race bike was a Carlton that my dad had painted black and got some decals for. The set I chucked were spares. The bike was later repainted pearl white and purple, with an attempt to replicate the Daccordi diamond paint effect. 

Dunno if Raleigh Carlton is the same as Carlton but this sure does bring back some good memories.

I had a Carlton track bike when I was a laaitie in the 90s. Some dude was just using it to go to school and I bought it off of him. Full chrome with the three colour bands, Campy crank, all original stuff, even the plastic track saddle and proper shape track bars. Got a set of awesome wheels from Basil Cohen’s little trading shop in Venterspost. Gipiemme special hubs and red Ambrosio tubby rims, Basil always gave a cash strapped laaitie a deal. We used to race Wes Transvaal track at Bob van Rheenen stadium in krugersdorp and Wes Drie mine track. I sucked but it was huge fun.

It sat at my moms place, then about 10 years ago a mate wanted to ride track, I let him have it, he never used it and emigrated to Canada last year with it, the bugger.

One of my greatest regrets is not being able to restore that bike to new.