Cycling manufacturers' BB "standards" are HARDLY standard

justinafrika

WTF! While searching for BB tools today I found that Abbey Tools offers tools for 13, YES THIRTEEN, different types of BB's. Say it ain't so. For one tool? So much for "standards", manufacturers are taking the p i s s.

Edited by justinafrika

Life becomes much easier if you standardise across your bikes. All my road bikes/tri bike have the same BB, so swopping cranks, replacing BB etc is simple and standard irrespective of what manufacturers bring out as the next best thing!

2 hours ago, RocknRolla said:

Welcome to cycling.

edit: have you tried working on a car or moto? Talk about special tool fetishes….

'course you're right. I mostly service-repair my old Italian and German cars myself, yet there are some jobs for which I simply don't have the right tools. But but but bruh, 13 different tools just for the variety of BB's?

Edited by justinafrika
clarification

English,  BSA , BB30 , pf30 , pf92 , t47 

Thats just the kne si can name off the top of my head 

14 hours ago, shaper said:

Life becomes much easier if you standardise across your bikes. All my road bikes/tri bike have the same BB, so swopping cranks, replacing BB etc is simple and standard irrespective of what manufacturers bring out as the next best thing!

English thread square taper for life?

I’m with sharper on this one

when I look at let’s say a set of wheels and the salesman says it’s not that bad, !!!

I’m doing the maths on all my bikes

pedals, I buy up every set of look quarts I can find, simple thought there is no way I’m buying N pedals to replace on my bikes

needless to say AXS I should never have tried it, that hurt

but standard does have its perks

Yeah, feels like there isn't too much standardisation going on with standards.

Thru Axles are another area where there seems to be quite a lot of divergence.

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Dear cycling industry 

T47.

That is all.

Burn everything else.

Best regards.

Eldrøn

Amen and hallelujah

What's needed is for someone to go to the consumer protection council in the EU And USA and complain about the lack of standardisation around critical parts. BB choice influences the final design and mould costs. The need for all these flippen different ways of mounting essentially 2 types of bearing is hurting the end consumer.

Just standardise on T47 and 30mm axles.

Edited by DieselnDust

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Amen and hallelujah

What's needed is for someone to go to the consumer protection council in the EU And USA and complain about the lack of standardisation around critical parts. BB choice influences the final design and mould costs. The need for all these flippen different ways of mounting essentially 2 types of bearing is hurting the end consumer.

Just standardise on T47 and 30mm axles.

Oddly enough I don't mind all the standards (too much). The part that makes me want to strangle manufacturers is using a carbon frame as a wear surface. What idiot thought that press fitting plastic into reinforced plastic was a good idea?

Other than sales people, accountants and manufacturing staff of course. It's cheaper and easier to manufacture and saves weight. Everyone wins except the consumer....

Try finding stock of shimano BSA… 

my BB was so shot, it creaked like a carbon frame, but worse. Felt so rough, like the bearings all fell out and was replaced by little stones…

but I suppose 3 years is not bad for a cheapy rapide BB…