Broken Rear Axle (Old Prolite MTB wheels)

johanpre44

While out for a ride yesterday I noticed that the freehub of my 2014 Prolite Aneto rear wheel was not "freeing" too well, so decided to cut the ride short fearing that something with the pawls is very wrong. Opened up the hub to have a look today and found the read axle is broken (cracked quite badly where the freehub and hub comes together where I guess most stress is on the axle).

The wheels came with a set of axle adapters, one of which is a 135x12mm Through Axle. Any ideas how to convert this to a 135QR? I was thinking of just buying a replacement Shimano MTB rear axle (they should be around 146mm long with a 10mm outer diameter) and use a couple of O-rings around it to get it to sit tight inside the 12mm through axle.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone with a machine shop I can ask to quickly fabricate a part that will fit inside 135x12 through axle that will accept a regular Quick Release.

Any suggestions?

Maybe post some pictures of the hub in question. It is possible that you can just screw out the thru axle and fit the QR shaft. (the right word escape me now). But ya, I may be able to help

Kevin from Small Scale Engineering can make you an Axle for that i am sure

+27 82 304 5827

He will be back from leave in a 12 days time 

best guy for the job he helped me out on few challenges

It sounds like you have a hollow axle with QR ends.  Usually two types - one with ridges on the axle to rest up against the bearings and end caps which pop off and the second with spacers in the hub and free hub and end caps that screw on.  Trying to modify with a Shimano axle will be a disaster. Post some pics and I will see what I have.

My wheelset is on Page 42 of the 2012 Prolite catalog (https://issuu.com/prolite/docs/2012_pro-lite_consumer_catalog). 

Pic of broken axle (hollow kind with 12mm Inner Diameter and 15mm outer diameter). QR end on the drive side is machined and the end cap on non-drive side is also QR specific and does unfortunately not fit on the 135x12 Axle

Something like this (https://reverse-components.com/en/products/135mm-ø12-10mm-rear) will be a brilliant solution to allow me to just use the 135x12 Through Axle (but the prices are crazy).

I found a Shimano Cup and cone MTB Hub in my spares box which is busted but the steel axle is still perfect, think I'm just going to make some spacers to make it fit the 12mm Inner Diameter of the 135x12 axle (3d printer to the rescue).

20210626_133503.jpg

Edited by johanpre44

The non-drive side outer flange is the same size as the inner one, otherwise they are almost exactly the same. Will make a plan to buy from you some time (can use the old end cap, assume the thread should be the same).

If the other dimensions are the same I can turn the cap down on the lathe.  Bring the axle and wheel when you come. Best to WhatsApp as I am not usually online. 072 222 7185.