What trail bike…

AdventureAndy

Pyga Hyrax is worth a look if the budget can stretch that far. It ticks all the boxes and they are delivering bikes

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, MajG said:

What did you buy? Or looking to buy 

And why did you sell the fluid ?

@Andy Contact cycles united group, they have many stores and they are the Norco distributors in SA

Went full #EnduroBro and ordered a PYGA Slakline ???? I was going to get a Hyrax, but @thebob got one before me and said I cant have the same bike as him.....

8 hours ago, thebob said:

Pyga Hyrax is worth a look if the budget can stretch that far. It ticks all the boxes and they are delivering bikes

Im going to have to stretch a lot….unfortunately not a realistic option for me. Great bike I agree. 

55 minutes ago, AdventureAndy said:

Im going to have to stretch a lot….unfortunately not a realistic option for me. Great bike I agree. 

I also said I couldn't stretch the budget, then I rode one, and it all went down hill (pun intended) from there

26 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I also said I couldn't stretch the budget, then I rode one, and it all went down hill (pun intended) from there

Good thing I have no chance of riding one between now and Tuesday then…

The thing is, these days you won't get a lemon. So all the above options are all there or there abouts in terms of what they offer.

I reckon the one you buy will be the best one. Make peace with that and just enjoy it. To get a considerably better bike one needs to spend more money and then we start entering the realm of diminishing returns.

They are all good bikes. Just buy one and go shreddy

Edited by Jewbacca
spelling

19 hours ago, AdventureAndy said:

Where from? I haven’t been able to find GT in stock anywhere in my search. I have always had a soft spot for them, since my first Zaskar I’m high school…

must say, carbon to me, on this type of bike is not really a selling point. Carbon makes sense on ultralight XC bikes, but for trail bikes the difference in frame weight is negligible, and the risks with carbon so so much higher. But frame aside, the 10k price difference is worth it for the rear shock and decent brakes alone. 

I am super happy with my GT. Bought it from Bike park uitsig in CT, I was there on Friday and they had a few of the alloy models, however as mentioned the alloy version does have the same specs (the reason I rather went for the carbon model). 

You could try and send Omnico an email, as far as I know they are the local distributors for GT. 

Edited by BikingYoda

Thanks for your interesting reply to my comment Jewbacca, I mostdef enjoy your frequently incisive cut-to-the-chase views. Have to agree with your comments about auto- and motomaniacs and thankfully we've had no such characters residing in the quiet and spacious neighbourhood in which I've lived for the last 34 years. I didn't even think about those knobheads. It's most presumptive of you to associate such bellends with my comment.

Your comment has a whiff of anti-consumerism. My last iPhone lasted 8.5 years. I've kept Italian and German cars for decades as the production of each new car releases on average almost ELEVEN TONS of carbon emissions, including Elon Musk's vehicles.

Bonus: Those Italian and German cars have dramatically increased in value.

Bonus bonus: I've noted that monthly I consistently do 13 to 16 times as many k's on my bikes as I do in cars, from commuting to grocery shopping to going up the Lady Slipper mountains to shredding trails to exploring the coast. Impressive yah!?

PS. A mate left his Stance with me while he swanned around the Med and it remains a great selection for someone of my (lesser) skill level and for someone on a 35K budget. And… It made Bicycling UK's list of Best Bikes of the Year. With excellent sales figures in Europe and North America and consistently excellent reviews it remains ridiculous for AA to say it "should rather never have been made".

Edited by justinafrika

9 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Went full #EnduroBro and ordered a PYGA Slakline ???? I was going to get a Hyrax, but @thebob got one before me and said I cant have the same bike as him.....

Oh that's sweeeeeet , excellent upgrade.

Let us know how the new bike goes, hope delivery is this year still with these shortages

13 hours ago, justinafrika said:

PS. A mate left his Stance with me while he swanned around the Med and it remains a great selection for someone of my (lesser) skill level and for someone on a 35K budget. And… It made Bicycling UK's list of Best Bikes of the Year. With excellent sales figures in Europe and North America and consistently excellent reviews it remains ridiculous for AA to say it "should rather never have been made".

The Stance might be a half decent entry level bike, but its not really a great trail bike. It doesn’t fit the OP’s criteria, other than being in the right price class. 

I’d give it a wide skip pass as well. 

Plus one for the GT Sensor. I was seriously looking into buying one earlier in the year, but they didn’t have my size so I ended up buying something else. 

Great conversation going on in this forum. I have learnt a lot about the diffs between XCO and Trail bikes. I also love the debate re "consumerism" etc. ???? 

On 6/26/2021 at 5:53 PM, MajG said:

Fair point on the scott. 

Perhaps try Norco fluid fs1 2020 goes for R40k , Mello vello stocks them and good bikes

Rockshox pike

Shimano slx 1 x 12 and 4 piston brakes.

I ride a fluid, a tad heavy but it's a tank downhill

I would also suggest the Norco Optic if in price range.

Have you considered the scott Genius?
Similar to the spark but alot beefier. Spark is a trail bike geared more towards XC and the Genius is a Trail bike geared more towards Enduro.
150mm travel back and front. TwinLoc allowing you to adjust both your front and back suspension at the same time from your bars.
4 piston brakes and the list goes on.

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/2021-scott-genius-950-dual-suspension-mountain-bike?utm_campaign=13335715365&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=525085504269&utm_term=&adgroupid=122269878239&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5uWGBhCTARIsAL70sLIdDLLy3TxDBNVFgIq6nMYRuqlBwuYmLAnWBMwRPDPTlsrc2A4TeAgaArFaEALw_wcB

A while back I got the Genius 930 (Carbon variant) and couldn't be happier.
Plus the bikes are compatible with both 29s and 27.5s