SRAM Cassettes:1295 vs 1299. What's the difference?

MudLark

Hi guys,

I'm trying to work out what the difference is between these two cassette types, other than for colour. Is there any difference in material, durability and so forth? I can't seem to find much information on it. I need to upgrade my old GX Eagle cassette which is now a bit worn out. Reading around, I understand that both of the cassettes referred to in the title line are made of chromoly. Although they are a lot more expensive than GX Eagle, I figure I should also get quite a bit more lifespan out of them given the better materials while also having the benefit of a slightly lighter cassette.

Any advice or input much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mudlark

Edited by MudLark

55 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to work out what the difference is between these two cassette types, other than for colour. Is there any difference in material, durability and so forth? I can't seem to find much information on it. I need to upgrade my old GX Eagle cassette which is now a bit worn out. Reading around, I understand that both of the cassettes referred to in the title line are made of chromoly. Although they are a lot more expensive than GX Eagle, I figure I should also get quite a bit more lifespan out of them given the better materials while also having the benefit of a slightly lighter cassette.

Cheers,
Mudlark

As I understand it 1299 is XX1 and 1295 is XO1. The former is a tad heavier and usualy gold. 

These cassettes are indeed more durable. In order to get the full benefit you should also switch to XX1 chain. These are also more durable (I get 3.3k km on XX1 and at best 2.5k km on GX). The price however is ~ 2x GX chai. So it is more expensive to run per km. 

3 hours ago, MudLark said:

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Mudlark

The base product is the same. The 1299 gets the additional Tinitride coating which makes it slightly longer wearing. By slightly I mean like 20,000km vs maybe 16,000km for 1295

2 hours ago, Ossie NL said:

As I understand it 1299 is XX1 and 1295 is XO1. The former is a tad heavier and usualy gold. 

These cassettes are indeed more durable. In order to get the full benefit you should also switch to XX1 chain. These are also more durable (I get 3.3k km on XX1 and at best 2.5k km on GX). The price however is ~ 2x GX chai. So it is more expensive to run per km. 

I get around 6000km average on the XX1 chain and less than half on the X01 chain

Thank you very much guys. I get a lot of mileage out of a plain GX cassette. I guess going on about 10k km now. I'm not a very strong guy so can't put down as much power as some guys can. Advantage is my drivetrain lasts a while. And I religiously replace chains at 0.5. So I'll spring for a nitrided cassette and XX1 chain then. Should last me a pretty long time!

On 6/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, DieselnDust said:

I get around 6000km average on the XX1 chain and less than half on the X01 chain

That's huge. I ran my last XX! till 3.5 and it has already chewed mt CSixx chainring .. so ended up replacing both

2 hours ago, Ossie NL said:

That's huge. I ran my last XX! till 3.5 and it has already chewed mt CSixx chainring .. so ended up replacing both

and 70%of that riding is off road. The chainring gets chewed anyway. Te chain is so darn hard that the chainring doesn't stand a chance. So when I replace the chain I get a new chainring as well. At best I can run a Chainring for around 6000km too. I was out of sync but the 2nd chainring I'm running past the replacement point. Its still got some life. and i have  a 34t ring with some so will run them to the point of the chain replacement. Overall my Eagle drivetrain has been a lot cheaper to run than any drivetrain before it.

Cassette has just over 9000km. The previous one was damaged by a crap third party chain that scuffed some teeth due to high wear. I'll refit that cassette once the current chain is at 0.25% wear but there's a way to go yet since its doesn't register 0.1% yet at +-4000km.

With this kind of durability I'm not interested in clais of smoother shifting from the other brand when their chains don't last half that mileage nor the cassettes

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

and 70%of that riding is off road. The chainring gets chewed anyway. Te chain is so darn hard that the chainring doesn't stand a chance. So when I replace the chain I get a new chainring as well. At best I can run a Chainring for around 6000km too. I was out of sync but the 2nd chainring I'm running past the replacement point. Its still got some life. and i have  a 34t ring with some so will run them to the point of the chain replacement. Overall my Eagle drivetrain has been a lot cheaper to run than any drivetrain before it.

Cassette has just over 9000km. The previous one was damaged by a crap third party chain that scuffed some teeth due to high wear. I'll refit that cassette once the current chain is at 0.25% wear but there's a way to go yet since its doesn't register 0.1% yet at +-4000km.

With this kind of durability I'm not interested in clais of smoother shifting from the other brand when their chains don't last half that mileage nor the cassettes

Is the 6k km within 0.5% chain stretch or do you just ride it past that?

5 minutes ago, Ossie NL said:

Is the 6k km within 0.5% chain stretch or do you just ride it past that?

its <0.5%

I replace at around 0.4% to protect the cassette

17 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

its <0.5%

I replace at around 0.4% to protect the cassette

Sjoe, I only get ~3k km per chain. Nearly all my riding is on off road trails but find it hard to believe that would explain the difference.

Are you maybe a light rider in terms of weight?

1 hour ago, Ossie NL said:

Sjoe, I only get ~3k km per chain. Nearly all my riding is on off road trails but find it hard to believe that would explain the difference.

Are you maybe a light rider in terms of weight?

70 to 72 kg