Home setup

Brmoore123

Advice please!
I am currently using an Apple Watch, which is linked to my Vitality points, and make use of the Workout app and import this data to Strava. 
I mainly cycle on my basic indoor trainer. 
I want to connect some sort of device to the current system so that I can also record distance while cycling and let that be imported through Apple and then to Strava (together with my heart rate info). 
Has anyone had any success? I don’t really want to spend 1000s on a smart trainer, so looking for suitable alternatives 

thanks 

I assume that your watch measures your heart rate so you now need a speed & cadence device (or power & cadence). Unfortunately they don't come cheaply. Find out what devices will sync to your watch and make the purchase and away you go.

Edited by robbybzgo

I dont own an apple Watch - But they work with BT connection, try borrow a Blue Tooth speed / cad sensor (there are dual BT/ANT+ sensors on the market) and check if it connects, there may be an app that be downloaded for the watch to solve this.

Correct, use the watch to measure HR. 

I have a Saris speed sensor and it connected to Strava fine but I had to start the ride using Strava, thereby bypassing the Workout app and hence not benefiting from the Vitality points. 
I was hoping there is a way where all devices would connect together. 

as far as I know, you cant connect sensors to apple watch (Bluetooth or otherwise).

If you have Bluetooth sensors, you may be able to connect them to the wahoo or related fitness apps. This still however does not give you any benefit for Vitality points. 

Remember Vitiaity points are based on HR% while doing the activity, the higher and longer the duration of the activity, the more points you get. 

Unless you spend money on a head unit recognized by Vitality, I don't think there is a solution for you.

18 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

as far as I know, you cant connect sensors to apple watch (Bluetooth or otherwise).

If you have Bluetooth sensors, you may be able to connect them to the wahoo or related fitness apps. This still however does not give you any benefit for Vitality points. 

Remember Vitiaity points are based on HR% while doing the activity, the higher and longer the duration of the activity, the more points you get. 

Unless you spend money on a head unit recognized by Vitality, I don't think there is a solution for you.

Thanks so much, can you give me an example of what a head unit is? 

The most popular would be Garmin, a gps unit mounted to the handlebars that measures speed, distance and HR (with a compatible HR monitor belt.

There are also Wahoo, Gaint, Polar and others. Not all the manufacturers are recognized by Vitality to gather points.

Probably cheapest is to get a speed and cadence sensor.  Then record the workout with your apple watch and at the same time using your phone recording to strava directly via the app, with the speed, cadence and HR connected to your phone.

The apple watch sends the HR data to vitality for the points.

Direct recording of HR, speed and cadence via your phone and the strava app for distance and other info.

You will likely have a duplication of workout as you will be recording directly through the strava app via your phone and also the data will be sync'd from your apple watch, so will need to delete the sync'd workout on strava.

Edited by shaper