Budget Cyclocross or Gravel bikes for beginners

King Wakanda

I'm new to cycling and I'd like to know the price range for beginner cyclocross or gravel bikes? I used to have a commuter MTB but sold it to start going into drop-bar bicycles. I didn't want a road bike because I wanted the ability to go off-road.

Thanks

I think Titan, Avalanche, Rook, and Silverback have some more budget friendly gravel options. Often on the lower end bikes there are mechanical brakes instead of hydraulic, as well as 10 speed or less groupsets. It's nice to have easy climbing gears on the gravel bike too, so make sure to check on that. 

9 hours ago, Tebogo Podile said:

I'm new to cycling and I'd like to know the price range for beginner cyclocross or gravel bikes? I used to have a commuter MTB but sold it to start going into drop-bar bicycles. I didn't want a road bike because I wanted the ability to go off-road.

Thanks

I’d look here, great value and I’ve heard good things 

https://rookcycles.com/collections/rook-scout

I ride a Schwinn CX bike from 2004 (I think). 9 speed and rim brakes. It is limited to the maximum width of tire it can take but the rims have been converted to tubeless.

Lots of fun. It even makes a good commuter. 

Maybe have a lookout for older bikes.

Have a look at the Scott Speedster 30 gravel as well.  I've had mine for a year now and it's a gem - R20k new price last year and it comes with a 2x10 ShimanoGRX with hydraulic discs.  Definitely worth a look.

Keep a lookout for a Giant Revolt 1. 10 speed GRX, Hydraulic disc brakes and a bomb proof alloy frame with good geometry. I have the carbon version and use is on my trainer, on road and have even ridden the whole of Taroko Trails on it. Can be had for less than 30k new. Alternatively Bikemarket has a few alloy Specialized Diverge in stock. Great bike by all accounts

Edited by thebob

45 minutes ago, christovdw said:

Have a look at the Scott Speedster 30 gravel as well.  I've had mine for a year now and it's a gem - R20k new price last year and it comes with a 2x10 ShimanoGRX with hydraulic discs.  Definitely worth a look.

Or the one listed for 5k above that in the Classifieds... Maybe not worth a look there.