Thoughts on Marvel platform bike rack

Meg85

Morning 

I have had a tow bar fitted to my car, now im on the hunt for a suitable platform bike rack.

Question is, Thule is my first choice but pricing is mad expensive. So im looking at the Marvel platform bike racks at virtually half the price new.

Would appreciate some feedback on the Marvel bike racks or if its best to wait for a Thule second hand rack?

Thanks

Phone your local Audi or Volvo dealer and ask about their bike rack options. Rebranded Thule and a bit cheaper. 

I bought my VeloCompact for R2000 less from Volvo.

Thank you for the replies.

I see Westfalia seems to be more expensive than Thule though? ????

The 3 bike Marvel is currently on special at Cycle Lab for R3,999.99 so its tempting.

I do have have reservations about max tyre width and wheelbase as my bike has a longer wheelbase.

8 hours ago, Meg29 said:

Thank you for the replies.

I see Westfalia seems to be more expensive than Thule though? ????

The 3 bike Marvel is currently on special at Cycle Lab for R3,999.99 so its tempting.

I do have have reservations about max tyre width and wheelbase as my bike has a longer wheelbase.

Just keep in mind. No matter what brand, as a general rule, a three bike rack is only suitable for 2 bikes. If you need to transport three bikes regularly, you need a 4 bike rack. If you generally only transport 2 bikes, the 3 bike rack will be fine

15 minutes ago, AdventureAndy said:

Just keep in mind. No matter what brand, as a general rule, a three bike rack is only suitable for 2 bikes. If you need to transport three bikes regularly, you need a 4 bike rack. If you generally only transport 2 bikes, the 3 bike rack will be fine

Using a Thule 2 bike for 2 MTBs. Both boost frames and no problems. 

General rule yes but the right rack and you won't have that problem.