Knysna cycle tour 2021 cancelled

TheAntoine1

Yeah DiD and Mark, I've owned six eclectic businesses including service businesses such as a corporate training company and live music/club events and a theatre company and an EMS college and if an event or course was cancelled or postponed for any reason we either did not charge or offered full refunds. Two of those major corporate clients and one university have remained clients since mid-1994.

Individual students unable to complete a course due to a family or personal crisis either got partial refunds or attended subsequent courses at no additional cost. We got LOADS of word-of-mouth clients, including from other continents.

I've no idea what it takes to organise a cycling event but I'd just not feel comfortable about taking fees/invoicing if clients didn't get full delivery. Just ain't happening.

Edited by justinafrika

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

No event can afford the liability insurance should the event be deemed to be a super spreader event. 

This is not the TdF that can impose all manner of interventions to lower the risk. The only reasonable and affordable course of action is cancellation.

Wonder if it is even possible to get covid cover for an event at the moment.

I have to giggle when I see posts like this. 'I can't believe it has happened again!' 

Guys and girls, if you STILL can't believe events are being cancelled without refund (read the fine print when you enter) after 15 months of the topsy turvey world of COVID, you really need your head checked.

Much like the crowd who all swooned at the fact that the quintuplets born a couple of weeks ago was fake news... 'I can't believe (insert the Sun or Huis Genoot) would publish fake news!!!'.... Yeah, right.

Stop entering events. Seriously. They do no good. Going out to dinner to a restaurant with a group of people. Yeah, no good.

Anyway, I await the next bout of threads when Epic gets cancelled

3 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Yeah DiD and Mark, I've owned six eclectic businesses including service businesses such as a corporate training company and live music/club events and a theatre company and an EMS college and if an event or course was cancelled or postponed for any reason we either did not charge or offered full refunds. Two of those major corporate clients and one university have remained clients since mid-1994.

Individual students unable to complete a course due to a family or personal crisis either got partial refunds or attended subsequent courses at no additional cost. We got LOADS of word-of-mouth clients, including from other continents.

I've no idea what it takes to organise a cycling event but I'd just not feel comfortable about taking fees/invoicing if clients didn't get full delivery. Just ain't happening.

I hear you and you'er thinking about it like a business. Knysna road and MTB events are organised by Knysna Rotary Club. They pay vendors upfront and then the Charities they raise the funds for. So likely there's no money left to give back. The same T&C and no refund policy exists with the CTCT so folks better wrap their heads around that one now

20 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I think October Events will be fairly safe. Wave 4 expected in December/January

No please not December.

Cancelled our Dec 2020 holiday, booked again for Dec 2021.

9 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I have to giggle when I see posts like this. 'I can't believe it has happened again!' 

Guys and girls, if you STILL can't believe events are being cancelled without refund (read the fine print when you enter) after 15 months of the topsy turvey world of COVID, you really need your head checked.

Much like the crowd who all swooned at the fact that the quintuplets born a couple of weeks ago was fake news... 'I can't believe (insert the Sun or Huis Genoot) would publish fake news!!!'.... Yeah, right.

Stop entering events. Seriously. They do no good. Going out to dinner to a restaurant with a group of people. Yeah, no good.

I agree with you but I do feel for the people who entered this event. Looking back at their marketing and social media drive and what they promised I would also feel disappointed and now they simply just reply with a sneaky sneaky tiny t and c in the entey process.  Take a look at the organizers from Around the Pot , they promised a full roll over and they were transparent from day one and when things got cancelled people reacted in a sympathetic manner and assured their support in the future.  

14 hours ago, babse said:

is it 100% confirmed entry fee is not going to be refunded or have they just not communicated yet?

if there are no travel restriction in place, I think many will be going down to knysna

There would be no point. Government has gazetted and made it a criminal offence to host, or participate, in any gathering, be it indoor or outdoor. Clearly people going to Knysna expecting to ride are just acting stupid and should bear their own costs of burden for making such a dumb move. There are no travel restrictions in place other than entry into and out of Gauteng at present, but this can change at any moment.

Folks also need to realise that tourist destinations such as Knysna took massive knocks over Christmas and Easter and have massive burdens which needed to be covered. Making bookings and paying deposits well in advance for accommodation and event entry will in every likelihood be non-refundable for the mere fact that I do not believe many of these establishments and event hosting companies have the available cash-flow since they more than likely used the advance cash to fund the preparations for the hoped for turn out. Yes, government placing restrictions has now hampered that, but again, lets be honest here and admit that we all saw this coming months ago already.

People still entering events with the state of the world right now are just acting stupid

5 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There would be no point. Government has gazetted and made it a criminal offence to host, or participate, in any gathering, be it indoor or outdoor. Clearly people going to Knysna expecting to ride are just acting stupid and should bear their own costs of burden for making such a dumb move. There are no travel restrictions in place other than entry into and out of Gauteng at present, but this can change at any moment.

Folks also need to realise that tourist destinations such as Knysna took massive knocks over Christmas and Easter and have massive burdens which needed to be covered. Making bookings and paying deposits well in advance for accommodation and event entry will in every likelihood be non-refundable for the mere fact that I do not believe many of these establishments and event hosting companies have the available cash-flow since they more than likely used the advance cash to fund the preparations for the hoped for turn out. Yes, government placing restrictions has now hampered that, but again, lets be honest here and admit that we all saw this coming months ago already.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:56 PM, TheAntoine1 said:

As expected the Knysna race organisers did not even bother to wait till the end of this 14 day bizarre lockdown to cancel the event scheduled for 17 July.  All the entry bucks in the bank - now just send the copy and paste email on how sorry they are blah blah and you can still do the virtual event (yay) but don't expect any entry money returned. Cant afford to be killing people for the sake of a ride now can we.

Lol...talk about priorities...

13 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Dont be throwing commonm sense around here....????

I dunno. Even before Covid event organisers in general found it problematic to insure against full refunds for ticket sales. It seems that insurers don't like/appreciate the odds in risk management on top of all the other risks. 
Add in a pandemic and it's Russian roulette in an industry that already plays margins close to the bone. 

As has already been mentioned here, in the current climate why are people so outraged/surprised when something like this happens. Also understand, being in a position right now to enter and event along with travelling and accommodation is a massive privilege, while many people are literally fighting for their livelihoods. 

So here's some more context. I just heard the sad news of the passing of a in-law relative yesterday after attending a wedding in Cape Town. A week later he is dead. I also just heard of another relative's brother who attended a party in Jozi where 32 folks contracted Covid. The brother spent 2 weeks in hospital in a bad way. Luckily he survived, but it just as easily could have swung the other way.

But whatever. Go attend that race / ride / party / braai or whatever else you think you're entitled to. After all, if Amurica has taught us one thing over the last 18 months its to stand up for one's rights and damn the price or anyone else.

• 9 months later...