Giant Trance Advanced Pro 29 for longer distance rides?

marco_is_vasco

Hey Guys,

I'm really liking this bike and I wanted to find out if its a good buy for the kinds of riding that I do. I usually do some trials and sometimes also some road that will link some fire roads together.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/trance-advanced-pro-29-0-2019

Geometry looks very much in line with the likes of a Scott Spark, etc. I managed to find a Demo model for this so just looking at my options right now.  Or would a full XC rig make more sense?

I stay in JHB so just taking that into account as well, Red Barn, Modderfontein, Braam Spruit, etc.

I hope I'm making sense here ????

Thanks so much!

Great all round bike for Gauteng trails. I had the alloy version and I never ever felt the Trance 29 was holding me back. It climbs like a beast and descends much better than a 115mm bike should (and much better than the now previous gen Scott Spark). The only thing to keep in mind with that version is the limited backup wrt to the suspension. Air spring services should be a doddle, but finding DVO specific spares might be a challenge. There were also some well documented problems with the Topaz 2 rear shock in the early production runs. Don't let that put you off as the bike is superb and Giant should handle any warranty issues if they crop up

Agreed on the above post about DVO suspension. That being said, this is a great bike and there are other models which might save a few bucks and hassles and still be just as great of a bike. 

I'm always +1 on a Trance

Edited by Adr!@n
Added word

Hi

As an owner of the Giant Trance 2019 - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-advanced-pro-29-1-2019

This is an amazing machine, absolutely built for smashing trails.

So based on you information, it depends on the amount of trail riding you are going to do with the bike, as is. The geometry + suspension makes the machine a TrailBoss. The bike is very responsive and the ride is plush.

In my experience , the Maxxis Minion tires are not made for long XC rides, they are heavy and with high rolling resistance. The tires are amazing on trails with seemingly endless grip. 

I use a XC hardtail for all XC rides and unleash my Giant on the trails. I would use my Giant for XC purposes if I paired it with faster rolling tires.

Hope this helps.