How Worn is this GX Cassette?

MudLark

Hi guys,

Curiosity question. How worn do you perceive this GX Eagle cassette to be? Mildly, moderately, severely? And would you replace it or keep running it a while longer?

20210702_085433.jpg

From my experience the most wear occurs on the bottom cogs. Best way to gauge the wear (I might be wrong) is to fit a new chain and see if the chain slips under force. If it slips with a new chain it is quite worn already.

10 minutes ago, W@nted said:

From my experience the most wear occurs on the bottom cogs. Best way to gauge the wear (I might be wrong) is to fit a new chain and see if the chain slips under force. If it slips with a new chain it is quite worn already.

In my case most of the wear occurs in the middle gears. Because I'm not such a strong rider. The cassette in the pic must by now have something not far from 10km on it, maybe even a little more. I religiously replace chains immediately at 0.5.

It does not slip with a new chain. But by the time a cassette slips, it's really completely shot to heck!

FWIW, I am keeping the cassette in service but on my second set of wheels. My primary set has XX1.

Edited by MudLark

Just now, MudLark said:

It does not slip with a new chain. But by the time a cassette slips, it's really completely shot to heck. 

Interestingly my GX eagle cassette started to slip with the second chain (around 2300km and 0.5 wear). Only slipped for about 200km and then worked well. But as you said, I will have to replace chain and cassette now.

Back to your question. I would ride that cassette if it is not slipping with the new chain. Another option is to install a larger front chainring to use more of the larger cogs on the cassette.

put it on one of the lower 3 gears or granny and apply some torque to the crank , if the chain looks like its climbing up the teeth then replace the cassette 

The wheel obviously has to be stationary while you're doing this 

***** This is A Hillbilly test , I'm not sure what the official way is but I always used this before I started counting km's and rotating chains 

If it does not slip with a new chain, keep it

Also looking at that, it does not look worn at all

A worn cassette tends to "bunch up" or compress along the front edge

I circled two spots on your pic where this might be starting to happen

a cassetee does not wear away, the alu just compresses making the front side of the  teeth lean

c.jpg

2 minutes ago, Quagga said:

If it does not slip with a new chain, keep it

Also looking at that, it does not look worn at all

A worn cassette tends to "bunch up" or compress along the front edge

I circled two spots on your pic where this might be starting to happen

a cassetee does not wear away, the alu just compresses making the front side of the  teeth lean

Thanks Quagga! 

16 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

What a worn cassette looks like! But it still shifts and runs smoothly, so I'll run it till it dies.

Have a brand new set of running gear in the cupboard for the moment this thing skips a beat.

Now that IS a well used cassette! Do you find that it in any way reduces the chain life, or not at all?

1 minute ago, MudLark said:

Now that IS a well used cassette! Do you find that it in any way reduces the chain life, or not at all?

I was rotating chains, but one chain seemed to wear faster then the other and only one meshed with the cassette. So both chain and cassette are properly worn. Cheap HG500 cassette has about 6000km and chain about 5000km.

Next time I will make sure the chains I rotate are the same same brand etc

15 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Cheap HG500 cassette has about 6000km and chain about 5000km.

You sure know how to sweat your assets! ????

Damn thing won't die, thought I was pushing it getting 5000km already! I want to fit the larger range 11 speed cassette I have

Edited by Alouette3

20 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Damn thing won't die, thought I was pushing it getting 5000km already! I want to fit the larger range 11 speed cassette I have

I have the same problem with a Sunrace cassette .I use the best chain i could get and the cassette just does not wear 

1 hour ago, eala said:

I have the same problem with a Sunrace cassette .I use the best chain i could get and the cassette just does not wear 

That is interesting. I did not know that Sunrace was a very good product. I have always been under the impression that it was a 'few tiers down'.

4 hours ago, Quagga said:

Here is what I tried to explain 

image.png.9dd142b91aaead9eeaeecab4b1e9b683.png

Can you draw another picture? I'm struggling to understand what I'm looking for? ????‍♂️