New Giant Anthem Prototype

CraigT48

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking bike. Can’t help thinking the frame/geo looks a lot like the outgoing Scott spark, but without the kinked top tube

9 hours ago, AllTerrain said:

Nice looking bike. Can’t help thinking the frame/geo looks a lot like the outgoing Scott spark, but without the kinked top tube

Yeah well it's only how the anthem's looked for the past like 13 years 

I hope they went back to 30.9 seatpost so that you can fit a reasonable dropper in there.
The switch back to 27.2 was not a good move (IMHO)

Paintwork reminds me of a 2015 epic....

Epic Elite Carbon 29 | Satin Carbon/White/Red

Dare I say that Giant are 6 years behind Spez??? (It's a joke......)

4 hours ago, Simon123 said:

Fox > RockSux

That’s a little simplistic don’t you think. Fox probably wins in the forks department generally, but purely because they don’t really offer a budget fork. Even the cheapest model is middle market. But that doesn’t mean it’s inherently better than an equivalent rock shocks product. Rockshox just happens to also make more entry level options… but on a cutting edge prototype bike, it’s fair to assume it’s all top of the line stuff, so the differences between the two brands are nuanced….

since where being simplistic though I’m gonna say: everything else < Ohlins

7 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Yeah well it's only how the anthem's looked for the past like 13 years 

Not sure about that. Anthem had a much lower profile seatstay on the rear triangle previously if that makes any sense. 

might just be the angle of that picture, but the rear triangle angles is very different to the outgoing model.

3 hours ago, AllTerrain said:

That’s a little simplistic don’t you think. Fox probably wins in the forks department generally, but purely because they don’t really offer a budget fork. Even the cheapest model is middle market. But that doesn’t mean it’s inherently better than an equivalent rock shocks product. Rockshox just happens to also make more entry level options… but on a cutting edge prototype bike, it’s fair to assume it’s all top of the line stuff, so the differences between the two brands are nuanced….

since where being simplistic though I’m gonna say: everything else < Ohlins

there are fanboys and then there is the bikeHub.

Right now Fox is in fashion because merican forums like Fox so you know...Fox.

3 hours ago, AllTerrain said:

Not sure about that. Anthem had a much lower profile seatstay on the rear triangle previously if that makes any sense. 

might just be the angle of that picture, but the rear triangle angles is very different to the outgoing model.

The single pivot is probabl an improvement. Maestro generated lots of traction thanks to the high antisquat but that also makes the bike feel heavy to pedal up steep gradients. Single pivots work better for short travel unless theres a DW-Link in there. Dave just has the thing sorted to limit the short like 4 bars limitations

19 hours ago, splat said:

I hope they went back to 30.9 seatpost so that you can fit a reasonable dropper in there.
The switch back to 27.2 was not a good move (IMHO)

It is 30.9 and uses the original 2 bolt seatclamp. No internal wedge clamp as on the previous Advanced Composite models.

42 minutes ago, Monark said:

Still only one bottle cage in the frame.... eish... 

wasn’t it pat morewood a while back that asked, “do you want two water bottles, or do you want suspension that actually works”

What is with the obsession with dual bottle cages? On a 30-40km ride, generally one is more than enough, even in the height of summer, and you can normally fill up at spots along the way. At a race, there are water points every 20 odd km anyway, which I always thought was total overkill, and if you are venturing off on an unsupported marathon ride, your gonna take a backpack anyway, so then use a hydration bladder. You can also fit dual bottle cages to the seat post, or there are options for top tube or handlebar bottle cages also, if you really can’t go without. On a MTB, even one meant for ultra marathon work, I would rather have proper suspension 

46 minutes ago, AllTerrain said:

wasn’t it pat morewood a while back that asked, “do you want two water bottles, or do you want suspension that actually works”

What is with the obsession with dual bottle cages? On a 30-40km ride, generally one is more than enough, even in the height of summer, and you can normally fill up at spots along the way. At a race, there are water points every 20 odd km anyway, which I always thought was total overkill, and if you are venturing off on an unsupported marathon ride, your gonna take a backpack anyway, so then use a hydration bladder. You can also fit dual bottle cages to the seat post, or there are options for top tube or handlebar bottle cages also, if you really can’t go without. On a MTB, even one meant for ultra marathon work, I would rather have proper suspension 

Maybe in Gauteng one bottle is enough for a 30-40 km ride, which is like 300 m climbing over 1h30min.

Most people are in agreement that backpacks sucks.