New Giant Anthem Prototype

CraigT48

30 - 40 km on trails here in cape town  - Wild boar trails, tygerberg and hemel and aarde to name a few is 3 hours min. One bottle will not do the job, backpack as mentioned above...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Maybe in Gauteng one bottle is enough for a 30-40 km ride, which is like 300 m climbing over 1h30min.

Most people are in agreement that backpacks sucks.

Ja, Gauteng is not known for its impressive mountains. They should come spend a day at Jonkershoek, Tokai or heck, even Tygerberg  during summer with one bottle and see how that goes.

Its for this very reason that I ride with a Camelback and I have learnt to make peace with it and now I don't notice it. What I do notice is every ride my ride mates all look for water about a third of the way into our rides and I just sip and laugh.

Cool, different strokes I guess. I never go on trails without a camelback. Feels wrong. I hate stuffing pockets on the back of cycling shirts, and pretty much only ride in t-shirts or enduro style shirts these days, so I need the bag for first aid kit, cellphone etc anyway. 

I have never understood the camel back hate….I have ridden across the Andes with only one bottlecage, but a pretty well loaded camelback. Not just gauteng flat trails 

Edited by AllTerrain

Why does no one put cage mounts on the bottom of the top tube? Seems like an obvious place to store a bottle?

To throw some fuel on the 2 vs 1 bottle cage debate... My epic's suspension seems to work quite well and I have 2 cages? ????‍♂️ Anyone care to explain why you have to choose one or the other?

51 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ja, Gauteng is not known for its impressive mountains. They should come spend a day at Jonkershoek, Tokai or heck, even Tygerberg  during summer with one bottle and see how that goes.

Its for this very reason that I ride with a Camelback and I have learnt to make peace with it and now I don't notice it. What I do notice is every ride my ride mates all look for water about a third of the way into our rides and I just sip and laugh.

Heheh :) .... No doubt, Gauteng doesn't have impressive mountain ranges but also don't underestimate the terrain in the Highveld. Additionally Gauteng has access to a variety of terrain and mountainous regions that see regular travel and use. Magaliesburg, Soutpansberg, Drakensberg, Mpumalanga, NorthWest, Lesotho etc ..
I'll wager that many a Gautenger has spent time across plenty trail in the WC and loved every moment of it.
Capeys should maybe get out a bit more and experience other provinces outside of the proverbial bubble. They should come and spend a day at van Gaalen, Cradle outwards, Buffelsdrift or heck even Thaba during summer with one bottle and see how that goes. 

Anyway, pissing contests aside. Very much personal preference, newer hydration options like Camelbak's chase vest and some of the trail running vests make riding with a bag a lot easier. But having the ability to ride with two bottle mounts in a frame does accommodate most rides with the least fuss. Anywhere in the world.

Edited by Danger Dassie

9 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Why does no one put cage mounts on the bottom of the top tube? Seems like an obvious place to store a bottle?

To throw some fuel on the 2 vs 1 bottle cage debate... My epic's suspension seems to work quite well and I have 2 cages? ????‍♂️ Anyone care to explain why you have to choose one or the other?

They do, Pyga for one. Merida for another ???? 

1 hour ago, AllTerrain said:

wasn’t it pat morewood a while back that asked, “do you want two water bottles, or do you want suspension that actually works”

What is with the obsession with dual bottle cages? On a 30-40km ride, generally one is more than enough, even in the height of summer, and you can normally fill up at spots along the way. At a race, there are water points every 20 odd km anyway, which I always thought was total overkill, and if you are venturing off on an unsupported marathon ride, your gonna take a backpack anyway, so then use a hydration bladder. You can also fit dual bottle cages to the seat post, or there are options for top tube or handlebar bottle cages also, if you really can’t go without. On a MTB, even one meant for ultra marathon work, I would rather have proper suspension 

It was, when the models were the alloy 110 29r and 1130/40 650b bikes. If you look at a Pyga now they by default have two mounts and proper suspension. 
And fun all day, every day

13 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

You are such "Fashionista's :P"

Not me… I ride with a back pack all day every day….twice a day. 

58 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

knee clearance would be an issue for me for a cage below the top tube