New Giant Anthem Prototype

CraigT48

39 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

But I am sure a trail or "down country" bike is a better fun training bike for the 99.99999999999% of riding people do?

Disagree. Even a hardtail is overkill for the 99% of riding, when all they do is ride up to the trailhead and take pictures at the top of the black route's board, then head down the same fire road again. It's just like our 4x4s in SA, most people actually just need a station wagon.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

But I am sure a trail or "down country" bike is a better fun training bike for the 99.99999999999% of riding people do?

In certain parts of the Cape maybe but the vast majority of riders aren't interested in drop offs, jumps and such. They want to get out do some exercise, hang with their mates and enjoy their morning. 100mm on both ends is perfect for this. And 2 water bottles ????

30 minutes ago, AllTerrain said:

But this is South Africa. Even tough we have miles and miles I’d terribly maintained gravel roads, immense expanses of mountainous country side, forestry areas and so on, with some great jeep tracks and old wagon trails and and and, and a couple of pretty amazing trail Centres all over the country. Trail bikes don’t sell. Down country (I really hate that term, can we just call them what they are they are still XC bikes, just better suited to joe average) bikes sell a little better but only slightly so. Your only a real cyclist if you ride a super compromised XC race machine, and keep trying to convince yourself you really have no interest in riding the technical lines at the bike park, because you enjoy just being out there riding, and you that it’s normal to be that sore and uncomfortable after a 100km ride, because the suffering is half the fun, or something like that. 

we like to suffer here. It’s started in the time of the great trek, and it seems to continue into choosing mountain bikes now. I mean why would you willingly cross the drakensberg, barefoot, with oxwagon in the grips of winter? Why didn’t they just make some simple shoes in preparation for the journey. (Before I upset someone, ek is n trotse Afrikaner, maar ons volk, het nogals n ding vir sukkel uit kuese uit, maar die rooinekke is ook so). 

I mean the same guy that kits his Bakkie out with every off-road upgrade under the sun, longer travel shocks, fat tires etc , which are mostly not needed, because it stays mostly on the road, will willingly by the least “capable” mountain bike, and insist on having the minimal amount of suspension, and the lightest duty tire possible…. Strange world

WOW .... that is an uncalled for swipe at @Iwan Kempand his 4x4 city bakkie!

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

In certain parts of the Cape maybe but the vast majority of riders aren't interested in drop offs, jumps and such. They want to get out do some exercise, hang with their mates and enjoy their morning. 100mm on both ends is perfect for this. And 2 water bottles ????

Anything outside of the Cape is known as gravel biking (I should have used this font earlier)

14 minutes ago, Eldron said:

(Self edit)I’m rather just going to leave this be. I should know by now this debate will never be won. 

XC race bikes are great, for what they are built to do. if you have done your due diligence and feel it’s the bike for your style of riding, so be it, as long as we all having fun in the sun…

Me personally, I doubt I will ever by a full sus XC bike again, as I they don’t suit the kind of riding I enjoy.

Edited by AllTerrain

17 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Riding in the Western Cape has changed since you left to become flemmish.

There are tannies on the trails and dudes and dudettes are hitting the single track hard. 99.99% of these people would benefit from a stable trail bike vs a twitchy race bike.

Jokes aside, it's only the ballies and the proper race roadies who don't hit the single track these days. Moms and tots in New Balance tekkies and plastic flats are riding vasbyt, faerie garden and the greenbelts.

I think a race bike should be uncommon and owned by racers, while a trail (not endurobro) bike should be standard. It's all about face in SA

Edited by Jewbacca
spelling

1 hour ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Probably true but I think skills classes and trail ettiquette bibles would take things along much quicker than a DC bikes

23 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Anything outside of the Cape is known as gravel biking (I should have used this font earlier)

Beat me to it

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There are tannies on the trails and dudes and dudettes are hitting the single track hard. 99.99% of these people would benefit from a stable trail bike vs a twitchy race bike.

Jokes aside, it's only the ballies and the proper race roadies who don't hit the single track these days. Moms and tots in New Balance tekkies and plastic flats are riding vasbyt, faerie garden and the greenbelts.

I think a race bike should be uncommon and owned by racers, while a trail (not endurobro) bike should be standard. It's all about face in SA

Yes true but you do realise that these "more suited" bikes generally only have space for .......1 wa'er borrel

45 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Disagree. Even a hardtail is overkill for the 99% of riding, when all they do is ride up to the trailhead and take pictures at the top of the black route's board, then head down the same fire road again. It's just like our 4x4s in SA, most people actually just need a station wagon.

I am proud to say that I am firmly in the 1% bracket then. I push my bike to the top of the hill, take a pic or two, then head on down hitting the A-line and all its jank. and I LUV it!!! Nothing less than 120mm for me thanks.

but ja, I'm ashamed to say my 4x4 is only used to cart my bike around these days...

4 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Wasn’t it Pat Morewood who put 2 mounts in his last 2 XC bikes ? Ride down here and 40km is 800m of climbing - some of us are sweaty and some are camels 

I need 2 bottles 

My last 6 rides according to Strava: they were all trail focussed. A mix of Banhoek, Plasir, Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal etc. Distance is not the key here as I spent alot of time sessioning techy sections on these trails, but the elevation gained in those short distances are not easily matched elsewhere. Should I do a 40km loop on these trails the climbing is well over 1000m.

image.png.eb2cab2c5033238dd76530dce6dd7a4c.png

Can't remember when last i saw a Giant Anthem out on the trails. Basically have only seen the Imbuku team riding one.

My 1st dual was a Anthem and i really enjoyed it

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Danish dude Danish ????

Agreed - a nice slack head angle will keep more people on their bikes instead of face first in the dirt. That isn't the SA way though! Over here we have far less mountains (ok absolutely no mountains) and more people are on trail oriented bikes.

SA is all about beating your mates and racing for time. 100mm is great for that - especially north of le Cape.

It does put the Anthem is a weird place though - if they are appealing to XCO racers then they failed horribly. It is a tiny market. If they expect people to use them for training, racing XCM and general use then it should definitely have 2 bottle mounts.

I miss the Cape and smashing about it on my old steel Niner hardtail ???? Thanks to the 'rona I haven't been to SA or sen my family there for 18 months! If you guys could sort out that 3rd wave I'd be super happy!

4 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Danish dude Danish ????

Agreed - a nice slack head angle will keep more people on their bikes instead of face first in the dirt. That isn't the SA way though! Over here we have far less mountains (ok absolutely no mountains) and more people are on trail oriented bikes.

SA is all about beating your mates and racing for time. 100mm is great for that - especially north of le Cape.

It does put the Anthem is a weird place though - if they are appealing to XCO racers then they failed horribly. It is a tiny market. If they expect people to use them for training, racing XCM and general use then it should definitely have 2 bottle mounts.

I miss the Cape and smashing about it on my old steel Niner hardtail ???? Thanks to the 'rona I haven't been to SA or sen my family there for 18 months! If you guys could sort out that 3rd wave I'd be super happy!

Sorry man, no can do...social gatherings and all that stuff, y'know?

6 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Danish dude Danish ????

dude we planning for wave#4 already. Gatherings still going gerook here.

Lets keep this thread on topic and discuss why station wagons aren't more popular in South Africa? I mean it's literally a mini-fortuner without all the hastle of getting in and out or parking a tank or the crappy fuel economy. How come every second mom dropping her kids off at the school down the road from me is in a fortuner, when a station wagon makes so much more sense?  

51 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Lets keep this thread on topic and discuss why station wagons aren't more popular in South Africa? I mean it's literally a mini-fortuner without all the hastle of getting in and out or parking a tank or the crappy fuel economy. How come every second mom dropping her kids off at the school down the road from me is in a fortuner, when a station wagon makes so much more sense?  

A Fortuner is classed as station wagon ????

Bike.png

Edited by AdamA
pic

47 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

or parking a tank or the crappy fuel economy. How come every second mom dropping her kids off at the school down the road from me is in a fortuner, when a station wagon makes so much more sense?  

101 upvotes! When visiting Europe and the USA it becomes obvious how SUV bef0k the RSA and the USA have become. Many years ago an auto engineer housemate was embarrassed at being assigned a Hummer for his personal use by his employer. The Hummer interior felt more cramped than the Alfa Romeo 145 I had at the time as well as the E30 I still have. Nuts. The same applies to some of my mates' wives' mid and compact size SUV's.