New Giant Anthem Prototype

CraigT48

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

5 pages of drivel and then some relevant comments on topic ????

The discussion on brains? 

In fairness, I think the discussion on 1 vs 2 bottle cages was relevant

Edited by Mountain Bru

The answer is simple. There's a market for 2 cages inside the main triangle and a market for one. Sales success in SA dictates 2 bottles. It's that simple. Trail bikes have one bottle and the rider wears a moonbag

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

5 pages of drivel and then some relevant comments on topic ????

so in other words just a normal day on Le Hub? so what else were you expecting?

Precisely. Spesh has ditched the fsr pivot in favour of flex stays, Giant has ditched maestro and SC have dropped the VPP on their XC bikes. Brain adds complexity, weight and extra service costs. Spesh is just working on the marketing spin to justify dropping it. That takes time. ????

7 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Precisely. Spesh has ditched the fsr pivot in favour of flex stays, Giant has ditched maestro and SC have dropped the VPP on their XC bikes. Brain adds complexity, weight and extra service costs. Spesh is just working on the marketing spin to justify dropping it. That takes time. ????

Hey ... if Giant can "fully commit" to 650B and then come back as a brand pushing 29'ers then anyone can change their Stance.

What freaked me out about the Brain Stuff. 

A few years ago I knocked on the spech Stellies main suspension servicing centre and had a walk and talk with the tech guys. To my surprise, if send your shock in for a service with them, they refurb it and it goes into the "system" and you get given another one that was previously serviced. So you do not know the history of the unit at all.

Not sure if that is still the case, but it was a bit of a WTF moment for me

6 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Checking in on the water bottle discussuion...will the single cage at least fit a black unbranded Giant Bottle?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I assume you mean a black unbranded Giant bidon?

But as was discussed at length, the bidons you want are the titan black ones that you've modified with sandpaper or a stanley knife to remove the branding. Nothing else is acceptable, so your question is invalid.

But if I had to guess, I'd say it might hold a black unbranded Giant bidon, but you'll have to hold the second one in your hand, or put it in your moonbag, cos obviously in South Africa, you can't leave home without 2 bidons. 

1 minute ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

What freaked me out about the Brain Stuff. 

A few years ago I knocked on the spech Stellies main suspension servicing centre and had a walk and talk with the tech guys. To my surprise, if send your shock in for a service with them, they refurb it and it goes into the "system" and you get given another one that was previously serviced. So you do not know the history of the unit at all.

Not sure if that is still the case, but it was a bit of a WTF moment for me

How do they keep track of the hours then on each brain? Or do they just give you another one thats just had the same hour service as the one you brought in? Like if you bring yours in for a 100 hour service, do they give you a different one that's also just had a 100 hour service? 

That seems like a crazy system though if that's really how they work. 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

so in other words just a normal day on Le Hub? so what else were you expecting?

Now that we have to keep our conversations strictly bike related and can't offload the nonsense in our heads on off topic discussions, I expect there will be more drivel on the "bike specific threads". 

2 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

How do they keep track of the hours then on each brain? Or do they just give you another one thats just had the same hour service as the one you brought in? Like if you bring yours in for a 100 hour service, do they give you a different one that's also just had a 100 hour service? 

That seems like a crazy system though if that's really how they work. 

went over my head .. this was a good 6 years ago, so not sure if they operate like this still.

Their whole setup though was pretty damned awesome!

1 minute ago, Mountain Bru said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I assume you mean a black unbranded Giant bidon?

But as was discussed at length, the bidons you want are the titan black ones that you've modified with sandpaper or a stanley knife to remove the branding. Nothing else is acceptable, so your question is invalid.

But if I had to guess, I'd say it might hold a black unbranded Giant bidon, but you'll have to hold the second one in your hand, or put it in your moonbag, cos obviously in South Africa, you can't leave home without 2 bidons. 

What if I choose to use my one and only bottle cage to fit a storage bottle for tools and plugs and stuff instead, but then ride with a 3 litres camelbak mule? Will I still be allowed on the trails? 

I must apologise, I’m just an ignoramus from Pretoria, and if I ever have the good fortune of riding the hallowed ground of the western capes trails, I don’t want to be guilty of a faux pas and not be allowed to ride these amazing trails. 

(I can’t find the comic sans)

3 minutes ago, AllTerrain said:

What if I choose to use my one and only bottle cage to fit a storage bottle for tools and plugs and stuff instead, but then ride with a 3 litres camelbak mule? Will I still be allowed on the trails? 

I must apologise, I’m just an ignoramus from Pretoria, and if I ever have the good fortune of riding the hallowed ground of the western capes trails, I don’t want to be guilty of a faux pas and not be allowed to ride these amazing trails. 

(I can’t find the comic sans)

Just pitch with a smile and good attitude and who gives a flying lefty what you are riding or dressed like ;)

21 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Lets keep this thread on topic and discuss why station wagons aren't more popular in South Africa? I mean it's literally a mini-fortuner without all the hastle of getting in and out or parking a tank or the crappy fuel economy. How come every second mom dropping her kids off at the school down the road from me is in a fortuner, when a station wagon makes so much more sense?  

well if you have R1.4Mil for a car Audi's RS4 seems quite popular. Other than that there's no much on offer as the nation is "Tune-her " bdornnerd. Oh, and range rovers at 60% residual are immensely popular too