What happens to damaged/cracked frames ?

Stavros94

I’ll start off with the fact that I am obsessed with bikes.

so my question what happens to the cracked damaged and unwanted frames out there ? Do they end in the dump ? I assume so ? 

basicaly, obsessed with bikes obsessed with building bikes obsessed with making things out of bike parts... that would otherwise land in a skip.

So look though that shed....and lemme know  ???? 

I probably shouldn't mention the two skips worth of Cannondale frames in a scrap yard a (good) few years ago. Frames all perfect fine except for 1 or 2 centimetres cut out of the seat or chain stays here and there. 

I think I paid R6 for 3 frames. Might've been R6.50. 

On this, I am currently busy with a project built out of scrap bike frame parts.

I need a top swing arm OR someone who can mill me one. Any leads as to someone in Cape Town with a  milling machine who will do a once off? (or a top swing arm I can use/adjust)

If you thought CTCT on a BMX was cool, wait till you see what's being cooked in this oven!

Edited by Jewbacca

Not sure about all the brands, but I had a Scott spark carbon frame crack at the BB. Frame was replaced under warranty, and the agents took the cracked frame back, apparently to send to the factory for R&D purposes. 

whether true or not is not for me to judge, it seems plausible. But I would imagine even if not the case, they would still want the cracked frames back to make sure they don’t end up back in circulation on the black market, after some dodgy repair, which could be very bad PR for the brand….

I once chatted to the product manager of a local bike brand. They literally took a hammer to the frame of the prototypes they decided not to use. 

Some people make display pieces, reputable shops cut/crush the frame, some folk rebuild "good as new raced once" for sale.... 

10 hours ago, Barry said:

I made a lamp from an old frame

20210705_111620.jpg

You see ! This is what I’m talking about ! How sick is that ! 

id love some of these in the braai room and garage ! 

seeing as I don’t put enough watts out to crack a frame ... or crash ... big touch wood on that.????????

where could I get a few frames to make decor like things from ? Saw some other really cool ideas on pintrst 

Lakker guys ! 

8 hours ago, Styvie said:

seeing as I don’t put enough watts out to crack a frame ... or crash ... big touch wood on that.????????

where could I get a few frames to make decor like things from ? Saw some other really cool ideas on pintrst 

Lakker guys ! 

Go ask your local bike shop. Chances are they have a cracked frame that was never picked up in storage taking up space. 

9 hours ago, Styvie said:

Lakker guys ! 

I have a Scott 900 Premium and a Lampre frame you can have as a start.

20210705_112749.jpg

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I have a Scott 900 Premium and a Lampre frame you can have as a start.

20210705_112749.jpg

That would be a awesome. I could cut them up abit... where about are you from ? 

11 minutes ago, Styvie said:

That would be a awesome. I could cut them up abit... where about are you from ? 

Centurion Gauteng.

Send me a DM can make a plan if interested.