Best bike to buy around R2500

Novicebiker

Hey all,

I am new to the MTB world, read that Makro bikes is a big no.

what bike brands will be a good quality option that won't break and lasts on normal mountain bike routs.

Is the totem budget version really a bad option and why?

Any opinions on the Cannondale m600?

budget max R2500 new or used.

Edited by Novicebiker
added new bike

At R2500, new is not an option. A Totem will not handle off road. I got my daughter one for the occasional road ride around the neighborhood and off the bat, the brakes never worked. No amount of tinkering would get them to work. 

You will have to look second hand, you may pick up a a decentish 26 inch around R2500. But it will be old, so take someone with you who knows about bikes. 

Not sure about the Cannondale you speak of. Generally, they are a good brand, but it depends on the size and how it was looked after. 

I ride a Cannondale and am a pretty big Cannondale fan but there are much better options than the f600 for that money.

Something like a older Silverback, Trek or Schwinn with rim brakes and a basic coil fork.

5 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Is that the actual bike or just a similar one?

Good question. That photo looks strangely European.

43 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Is that the actual bike or just a similar one?

the actual bike, the seller wants 2500 for the bike. 

Edited by Novicebiker

11 minutes ago, Novicebiker said:

the actual bike, the seller wants 2500 for the bike. 

I wouldn't buy that bike. You can do better for the money. 

I’m going to contradict myself here. Generally I’m the guy saying just get out there and ride whatever you have or can get your hands on, but….. if you are actually serious about getting into riding, and MTB specifically, I would suggest you save up for another month or three. If you can push your current max budget up from R2500 to even R4000, it will open up a huge selection of much better bikes that you aren’t going to outgrow in a few months. If you can save up to the R5k mark even better. At R2500.00 your going to get a bike that might be okay for commenting, but nothing much more.

in the mean time, see if you can borrow a bike to ride just to get out there and riding. If you don’t have access to that, and your in Pretoria and your around 178, your welcome to join me on rides for now, with one of my spare bikes. feel free to PM me. 

*on rides with me, I will bring the bike and take it home again after. Also, will give you a pretty entry level hardtail to ride, so as not to spoil you for when you get your own entry level bike

Have you given any proper thought to what size frame you need? It's all very well buying a bike because it is the right price but if the frame size is wrong for you, it's not going to work – regardless of what a good deal is. Also, changing components in order to get the bike set up right for you can be quite expensive. So you need to find a bike which you already comfortably fit on and with the right frame size. It will pay you to hunt around to find the right bike at the right price. Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy.

Glad to see @AllTerrainhas said it.
Came here to say the best bike you can buy for R2500 is a savings account and some patience.

When buying second hand with a really low budget you should keep a good chunk of money for the bike shop just to get the bike correctly set-up and ready to roll. Think rusty chains and perished tires/tubes etc.

Thank you everyone for the feedback saved me from buying the wrong bike.

not going to go  on any hardcore MTB routs, the idea is to get the family exercising and out on easy to moderate  trails. With something trustworthy and better quality than the Makro specials.

I have found 2 secondhand bikes a Giant revel 3 and a Silverback Oakland, which would you consider the better option?

I have a 16" Avalanche 26er ATX575 I can let you have it for R2500.

The bike is New Old Stock from when Avalanche made good solid bikes

Has Shimano Deore 9speed with Hydraulic brakes fairly good spec for R2500

has had a full going over and all is in 100% working condition.

Maybe Hub land can have a look and advise on this.

20210624_120702.jpg

20210624_120710.jpg

20210624_120636.jpg

20210624_120645.jpg

20210624_120650.jpg

20210624_120656.jpg

Edited by Barry

Buy the Avalanche above for R2500 before he changes his mind! Good condition, with basic but fairly dependable components that beat any Makro special.

Unfortunately bikes, especially second hand are way over valued at the moment due to a complete shortage worldwide.

Edited by Alouette3

16 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Buy the Avalanche above for R2500 before he changes his mind! Good condition, with basic but fairly dependable components that beat any Makro special.

Unfortunately bikes, especially second hand are way over valued at the moment due to a complete shortage worldwide.

That’s an incredible offer. But the OP better just check the size. 16inch is a very very small frame. 

24 minutes ago, AllTerrain said:

That’s an incredible offer. But the OP better just check the size. 16inch is a very very small frame. 

Yea OP has not given a size indication 16" is a Small.