Greetings from Noob - Advice needed

NoobBiker

On 7/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, Steady Spin said:

Who remembers mud, water, and v-brakes. Did not play well.

I'll definitely take mechanical discs over v-brakes any day of the week.

Until you get mud and water jammed into the cables and those little arms that mechanical discs have. 

Hey there...it all depends on your budget but get as good a bike with funds available. I started on a Giant Anthem. It had 3 x 10 Shimano Xt gears which i changed to 1 x 10...meaning 1 chainring in front and a cassette with 10 cogs at the back. Good hydraulic brakes definately...dont skimp on that...i dunno your age or current fitness level but im 49yo and prefer a duel suspension over a hardtail for comfort sake...the latest gear ranges are 1 x 12. 32teeth in front with 10 to 50 teeth at the back...that allows for more than enough top end as well as a granny gear for really steep climbs..i have a friend that may be selling a Giant Anthem in a medium which is your size...if you need any info or help wap me. Im based in Northcliff. Pierre 0824993343

Hey there...it all depends on your budget but get as good a bike with funds available. I started on a Giant Anthem. It had 3 x 10 Shimano Xt gears which i changed to 1 x 10...meaning 1 chainring in front and a cassette with 10 cogs at the back. Good hydraulic brakes definately...dont skimp on that...i dunno your age or current fitness level but im 49yo and prefer a duel suspension over a hardtail for comfort sake...the latest gear ranges are 1 x 12. 32teeth in front with 10 to 50 teeth at the back...that allows for more than enough top end as well as a granny gear for really steep climbs..i have a friend that may be selling a Giant Anthem in a medium which is your size...if you need any info or help wap me. Im based in Northcliff. Pierre 0824993343

On 7/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, Rockjock said:

Thank you sir much appreciated, as per earlier post I actually bought a new Giant Talon 2. So far quite happy with it.